Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Rating 0
entry Oct 14 2008, 12:42 PM
A short and sweet blog entry today.

Met up the Chrism on Sunday for a Surrey Hills pootle with the idea being to do a bit of exploring over at Pitch Hill. Having parked over near Holmbury St Mary we did the up Holmbury Hill, down via BKB and back up to the summit of Pitch Hill. From here, rather than dropping down on the other side of Pitch Hill immediately by the quarry as my usual loop, we headed back down following a more northerly direction to find a lovely 'challenging but do-able rooty, short but steep' descent.

From this point we headed west (towards Winterfold Woods'ish) and found an excellent piece of singletrack which heads kind-of NW'ish. There's a great section that passes through a fir tree forest that has a real surreal feel to it. This is now set to be included in my standard Holmbury / Pitch Hill loop.

Heading partially back up Pitch Hill on the road to gain some altitude, we then rapidly descended back down towards the Peaslake car-park back on singletrack before slogging back up to the top of Holmbury Hill by road.

Stopping for a rest at the summit, it was agreed that we would go for Leith Hill as well (at least they have somewhere to have a cup of tea). I've never actually done all three hills in one day and tended to either concentrate on Leith Hill (ridden from home) or drive over to Holmbury St Mary and do Holmbury and Pitch Hills.

I have to admit that the old leg muscles were aching a bit as we heaved up there, but the reward was of course a rest with a cup of tea.

What goes up, must come down so fortunately the journey back to the car was all down hill. One quick stop for Chris to repair a snapped chain (and me to have another rest!) at which point bhosty from the forum came past with small group (it's a small world).

All in all another top ride!

« Next Oldest · Marcliam's Blog · Next Newest »

Comments

post Oct 16 2008, 05:03 PM
Comment #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,842

The Three Hills challenge! Kinda like the Three Peaks challenge but smaller! smile.gif

Actually a three hills route sounds great if someone organised it for a forum ride. wink.gif

--------------------
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable" - JFK

"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed" - Gandhi
Go to the top of the page

« Next Oldest · Marcliam's Blog · Next Newest »

SMTWTFS

My Picture