Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Rating 0
entry Apr 17 2009, 09:58 AM
So it seems that there may be light at the end of the long winter tunnel. Weíve had a few summer previews already this year which have wet my whistle for summer morning rides on hard packed flowing trails. (A recent Holmbury & Pitch Hill ride with Huw and Bob O. springs to mind) Mind you these previews have been interspersed with far too many grey wet murky days for my liking. Iím not going to fool myself that the summer is going to begin some time in the next week or so and then span a couple of months with perfect dry riding days, this is the UK after all, but please letís have our fair allocation!

To be honest, I donít mind winter riding too much providing itís icy cold and not wet, at least you donít overheat. I had some great rides at Swinley on freezing cold days including an excellent snow bound ride with Andy/Dr Bike during this years earlier bout of snow. I also enjoyed my first ever night rides in the Surrey Hills this winter. The trick is to make sure you donít approach that welcoming sofa when you get in after work, drop your bags, immediately chuck your riding gear on and get out and ride. I had fun even when the nozzle on my camelback froze.

The real problem comes when itís difficult to tell whether itís winter or summer. When the temperature is neither cold nor warm and it may or may not rain as is often the case about this time of year. I find myself continuously having to stop and remove or add layers or getting very wet because I had bet on it not raining. Kind of messes up the flow of a ride all that stopping, starting and adjusting.

Iíve renewed my Swinley yearly pass, the Ďfair weatherí regulars have started to re-appear after a period of hibernation and numbers have been bolstered with a scattering of newbies. Add to this the prospect of plenty of local Surrey Hills rides (with the call of yet more singletrack to search out) and the anticipation of rides further a field (Wales for one) and it would seem that the ingredients are in place for a summer of great riding.

So hereís to bikes, mountains (well hills, anyway) and riding buddiesÖ.. stupidlyhappy.gif

« Next Oldest · Marcliam's Blog · Next Newest »

Comments

post Apr 19 2009, 12:07 PM
Comment #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,441

Nicely put my sentiments exactly agree.gif

--------------------
www.flickr.com/photos/trek8900/
Go to the top of the page

« Next Oldest · Marcliam's Blog · Next Newest »

SMTWTFS