IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which cranks?
DrBike
post Aug 1 2016, 09:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

I was trundling through bay looking for 9 speed triple cranks (cos I'm still living in the olden days) and I found these 2.

Would you go for Funn Ridged or Longdun?

I'm being facetious of course, but it's surprising how few 9 speed triple cranks there are on the web - and certainly there are no bargains out there.

I've got Truvativ Stylo cranks on my Orange and On-One and TBH although I liked them originally I've had a number of problems with them in comparison to next to none with previous Shimano setups. The only troublesome cranks that I had in the past were some RaceFace ones that seemed to eat through BB's - but that was almost 15 years ago now.

On a related note - does anyone have any "slightly soiled", "pre-loved" or even unused 9 speed cranks that will fit either the Truvativ/SRAM or Shimano external BB's?

--------------------
Dr Bike takes no responsibility for damaged limbs or failed relationships as the result of his advice.

Make something idiot proof, and someone somewhere will make a better idiot.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
covecrazee
post Aug 4 2016, 02:10 AM
Post #2

QUOTE(DrBike @ Aug 1 2016, 10:12 AM) *
I was trundling through bay looking for 9 speed triple cranks (cos I'm still living in the olden days) and I found these 2.

Would you go for Funn Ridged or Longdun?

I'm being facetious of course, but it's surprising how few 9 speed triple cranks there are on the web - and certainly there are no bargains out there.

I've got Truvativ Stylo cranks on my Orange and On-One and TBH although I liked them originally I've had a number of problems with them in comparison to next to none with previous Shimano setups. The only troublesome cranks that I had in the past were some RaceFace ones that seemed to eat through BB's - but that was almost 15 years ago now.

On a related note - does anyone have any "slightly soiled", "pre-loved" or even unused 9 speed cranks that will fit either the Truvativ/SRAM or Shimano external BB's?

I thought you had a single chainring set up.
No matter,yeah the pickings are slim these days,but maintenence wise a single chainring set up is the way to go.
As is adding another gear or two.
I know,it just sounds as if I'm following the latest fad,but I would not go back to multi chainrings ever.
Gear changing becomes cumbersome on multi cranks,and again,it's another thing to maintain.
And the On One would be perfect for it.
Don't think I have saw your Orange.

--------------------
25 Years and still ripping the trails on my Dartmoor Hornet

+Quote Post
DrBike
post Aug 10 2016, 12:24 PM
Post #3

I'm just pricing up conversion to 11 speed - at least I was until I saw the price of the cassettes! The cheapest SRAM 11 speed cassette is 95!

So I then did a quick comparison of upgrading to 10 or 11 speed for SRAM/Shimano

SRAM 11 Shimano 11 SRAM 10 Shimano 10
Rear Mech 67.49 44.99 40.99 29.99
Cassette 94.99 59.99 46.98 37.03
Chain 14.49
Shifter 25.99 34.99 23.99 27.99
Crankset 89.99 71.99 73.99 73.99
BB 21.00 14.99
Total 313.95 226.95 185.95 169.00

Note 1 - where there's a blank it means that the price of the part above includes the "missing" item.
Note 2 - All prices are from Chain Reaction (mainly cos I was on their site when I started pricing things up)

In the relatively recent past I've favoured SRAM stuff over Shimano as I prefer the push/push shifting but I'm not overly impressed with the durability of some SRAM stuff, especially the GXP BB's.

I s'pose I'd better start saving

--------------------
Dr Bike takes no responsibility for damaged limbs or failed relationships as the result of his advice.

+Quote Post
covecrazee
post Aug 12 2016, 04:19 AM
Post #4

[quote name='DrBike' date='Aug 10 2016, 01:24 PM' post='195529']
I'm just pricing up conversion to 11 speed - at least I was until I saw the price of the cassettes! The cheapest SRAM 11 speed cassette is 95!

So I then did a quick comparison of upgrading to 10 or 11 speed for SRAM/Shimano
SRAM 11 Shimano 11 SRAM 10 Shimano 10
Rear Mech 67.49 44.99 40.99 29.99
Cassette 94.99 59.99 46.98 37.03
Chain 14.49
Shifter 25.99 34.99 23.99 27.99
Crankset 89.99 71.99 73.99 73.99
BB 21.00 14.99
Total 313.95 226.95 185.95 169.00

Note 1 - where there's a blank it means that the price of the part above includes the "missing" item.
Note 2 - All prices are from Chain Reaction (mainly cos I was on their site when I started pricing things up)

In the relatively recent past I've favoured SRAM stuff over Shimano as I prefer the push/push shifting but I'm not overly impressed with the durability of some SRAM stuff, especially the GXP BB's.

I s'pose I'd better start saving
[/quote

That's a big outlay DrBike.
I suppose it's why I was very thorough when buying my (second hand) X9 drivetrain.
I got lucky mind you and the parts were in tip top condition.
Incidently,my GXP BB is holding out quite well,but I know it's not the case some of the time.
Stick with SRAM though,I swear by it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DrBike
post Aug 12 2016, 10:13 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(covecrazee @ Aug 12 2016, 05:19 AM) *
Incidently,my GXP BB is holding out quite well,but I know it's not the case some of the time.
Stick with SRAM though,I swear by it.

Are you using a Genuine SRAM BB or one from another manufacturer (with or without a conversion kit)?

--------------------

+Quote Post
covecrazee
post Aug 14 2016, 01:06 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(DrBike @ Aug 12 2016, 11:13 AM) *
Are you using a Genuine SRAM BB or one from another manufacturer (with or without a conversion kit)?

Without splitting hairs,it's branded Truvativ,and with a conversion kit(italian threads)

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2017 - 01:13 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News