Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Surrey Hills
marcliam
post Jan 3 2012, 01:35 PM
Post #61

Group: Members

Just picked up on this because ken saw my facebook status update saying I had been out riding yesterday. I should check the forum more often! Having said that I ended up reducing my normal Holmbury and Pitch loop as my legs where complaining so much through lack of use. I suspect Chris who I was riding with could have gone for miles but I was furbarred. Nearly came off big time on the 'drop' at the start of BKB (that's changed shape a lot since last riding up there)

Xmas pud was a lot of fun although a large route disguised as a puddle had me over the bars.

BTW having been a resident of Westcott for seven years (just moved into Dorking a few months back) I can confirm that the majority of residents are nothing like that portrayed as the 'norm' on the documentary!

--------------------
WD40 is for spraying onto things that you think you should be performing some kind of maintenance on but have no clue where to start or what to do.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jambalaya
post Jan 3 2012, 05:30 PM
Post #62

QUOTE(ken @ Jan 3 2012, 11:58 AM) *
looking out of window now...looks like tropical storm ... i can't believe it was lovely sunny day in surrey yesterday smile.gif

You all picked the right day to be riding! I thought perhaps I might take a quick ride "after the forecast rain today". I was in Nirvana in Westcott about 12 and it wasn't so much rain as sheets of water with a few trees down inc one blocking half of the A25 just outside the village, I drove up around Leith and Holmbury and the roads were covered in debris and rivers of rain water

MarcLiam - they reduced the depth of the drop towards start of BKB - it had got quite deep, certainly surprised me a few months ago when I took it a bit too fast.

+Quote Post
marcliam
post Jan 3 2012, 09:47 PM
Post #63

QUOTE(Jambalaya @ Jan 3 2012, 05:30 PM) *
MarcLiam - they reduced the depth of the drop towards start of BKB - it had got quite deep, certainly surprised me a few months ago when I took it a bit too fast.

I knew something was different! smile.gif

--------------------
WD40 is for spraying onto things that you think you should be performing some kind of maintenance on but have no clue where to start or what to do.

+Quote Post
ken
post Jan 3 2012, 11:21 PM
Post #64

QUOTE(marcliam @ Jan 3 2012, 09:47 PM) *
I knew something was different! smile.gif

I haven't ridden BNB for ages, but as I was following DK and Suren, who I guess ride there quite often, they were so fast, so did I, if there is someone in front of me, I can ride without thinking and it is sort of becoming brave and confident, I love it.

+Quote Post
marcliam
post Jan 4 2012, 08:42 PM
Post #65

Being a local I have ridden BKB many, many times and the 'drop' was instinctive to me. This time it nearly threw me off big time. I though it was because it had eroded more leaving more roots jutting out but if the bottom has been raised that could be what it was. I have some bad habits which I think lack of riding has brought back, one of which being allowing my weight to be to far forward on the bike which really didnt help.

One thing I do love about the natural trails of the Surrey Hills and to an extent Swinley is the fact that they are always changing because of either more riders, heavy rainfall or trail pixies. If you ever stop and stand in certain places on BKB for example you can see how the trail has moved down the hill over a period of months or years. Roots become exposed and people ride further to the left to avoid and so the trail starts to migrate down the hill.

--------------------

+Quote Post
deadkenny
post Jan 6 2012, 10:55 PM
Post #66

Ran it a couple of times last weekend and both times the so called 'drop' is harsher. Before it was just steep short and rolled out easy. Now it's a bump on the front. Fine on big bouncy stuff with slack angles but can see it might catch out some and have them over the bars. It's going to depend whether it wears away into a roll or just digs in deeper. Have seen that happen elsewhere and each time it gets more hairy.

Not that it's a drop you can easily really drop. Guess you'd have to fly off it at an angle and whip it or something. Don't know. I can't do drops as my experience trying them shows.

--------------------

+Quote Post
marcliam
post Jan 7 2012, 08:41 PM
Post #67

QUOTE(deadkenny @ Jan 6 2012, 10:55 PM) *
Guess you'd have to fly off it at an angle and whip it or something.

I'm a rolling it all the way kind of guy!

Good to hear i'm not the only one that felt the change on this one though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
deadkenny
post Feb 11 2012, 06:49 PM
Post #68

Maj wanted some snowy Surrey Hill pics, so here you go smile.gif

Trails running well. Nice grip everywhere, no slush, little ice except where cars and walkers have been, and the busy singletrack has a nice grippy but compacted layer. The less busy stuff is deeper and fun. Downhills are a right laugh.

Don't know how long it will last, but good few inches in places and cold enough today for no melting. Roads into and around Peaslake are all clear.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mbElf
post Feb 11 2012, 07:09 PM
Post #69

Good stuff Tim, might head that way tomorrow or there is a Tunnnel Hill ride with Tim and Rupert... think.gif

+Quote Post
deadkenny
post Feb 11 2012, 07:16 PM
Post #70

There's a Swinley 10am with the Swinley Facebook group, and a lazy 11am with Paul and some others I think, and mostly likely that'll be my choice.

Tunnel Hill was nice and snowy up to Thursday and I guess has had a top up now too.

It's all good at the moment. Warming up though.

(edited: Meant Swinley!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
mbElf
post Feb 11 2012, 07:27 PM
Post #71

QUOTE(deadkenny @ Feb 11 2012, 07:16 PM) *
There's a SH 10am with the SH Facebook group, and a lazy 11am with Paul and some others I think, and mostly likely that'll be my choice.

Tunnel Hill was nice and snowy up to Thursday and I guess has had a top up now too.

It's all good at the moment. Warming up though.

Yeah, i might do the 11 am if i don't do bootcamp in the morning. I hope more snow is on the way - its mostly melted on horsell common sad.gif

+Quote Post
deadkenny
post Feb 11 2012, 07:30 PM
Post #72

Ah, sorry, meant Swinley, not SH. Both are Swinley rides.

--------------------

+Quote Post
French_Aristo
post Feb 15 2012, 04:18 PM
Post #73

Any work shy rider wanting to join me in a little SH ride on Monday?

--------------------
Lapierre Zesty 514 2011
Lapierre Froggy 314 2012
Canyon Torque Alpinist 2013

+Quote Post
Jambalaya
post Feb 15 2012, 04:56 PM
Post #74

QUOTE(French_Aristo @ Feb 15 2012, 04:18 PM) *
Any work shy rider wanting to join me in a little SH ride on Monday?

Very possibly, hoping to make Swinley for Saturday (Kerr's ride) but as usual it's all about getting access to the car (I am in the market for a second bike friendly car which will resolve this nonsense)

+Quote Post
French_Aristo
post Feb 16 2012, 11:16 AM
Post #75

QUOTE(Jambalaya @ Feb 15 2012, 04:56 PM) *
Very possibly, hoping to make Swinley for Saturday (Kerr's ride) but as usual it's all about getting access to the car (I am in the market for a second bike friendly car which will resolve this nonsense)

Let me know. I will be starting from YMCA car park around 11:00ish

--------------------
Lapierre Zesty 514 2011
Lapierre Froggy 314 2012
Canyon Torque Alpinist 2013

+Quote Post
Jambalaya
post Mar 14 2012, 07:19 PM
Post #76

Any thoughts for Easter ? Happy to lead a ride around SH with/without an XC component (eg ride into Peaslake from Newlands) and make it a longer one with lunch stop.

+Quote Post
Suren
post Mar 19 2012, 04:32 PM
Post #77

QUOTE(Jambalaya @ Mar 14 2012, 07:19 PM) *
Any thoughts for Easter ? Happy to lead a ride around SH with/without an XC component (eg ride into Peaslake from Newlands) and make it a longer one with lunch stop.

I'm interesed in this.... Going to ride as much as i can over the break...

+Quote Post
Jambalaya
post Apr 2 2012, 09:36 PM
Post #78

Anyone else ? Any preference for which day, I'm proposing Friday ?

+Quote Post
mbElf
post Apr 3 2012, 06:17 AM
Post #79

QUOTE(Jambalaya @ Apr 2 2012, 10:36 PM) *
Anyone else ? Any preference for which day, I'm proposing Friday ?

Friday is good with me

+Quote Post
Biggsy80
post Apr 3 2012, 09:29 PM
Post #80

I'd be keen to join if that's ok? am free Friday andhave an all day pass stupidlyhappy.gif but will need some brief directions or a postcode if possible as never ridden Surrey hill

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 02:40 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News