IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ghetto valves
deadkenny
post Aug 24 2012, 01:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Got tubeless rims (CB Iodines) so I'm not ghettoing there, do have non-UST tyres (single ply Maxxis Minions & High Rollers which I'm told work well tubeless), but I don't have special tubeless valves.

I don't intend spending on valves if I can just re-use valves off old tubes. Especially as I want to get mine done for this weekend and can't wait for delivery of some funky expensive valves.

Like in step 2 here: http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-repai...mountain-bikes/

How much success do people have with valves like this, and is it worth trying to remove the core from them? (to do what? aid sealant injection or more for ease of inflation?).

Actually, I do have one tubeless valve that I inherited though it's not in the best condition. Have tried a 'dry' inflate with it as waiting for sealant to be delivered, but damn well can't get the thing to inflate. Is the soapy water thing the key there?

Aside from that, would it really get as messy as this (the pics with the tyres on)? ! http://mtbtechniques.co.uk/MaintananceGhetto.html

Bearing in mind that I'm not converting the rims as they're already tubeless, but is putting sealant in and pumping up likely to squirt sealant all over my living room(!) until it's sealed? ohmy.gif

If it all works I may be tempted to fully Ghetto the hard tail though. Cheapo Alex Rims (DP20) but they've been rock solid and look like they might be fine for the job.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Aug 25 2012, 02:56 PM
Post #2

Group: Root Admin

It's certainly possible to make your own valve stem from old inners for sealed rims like Stan's etc. However I wouldn't rely on just the butyl around the stem to do the job of sealing on it's own. Go to pound store and buy a sheet of silicone rubber, they sell it to stand hot pans on etc. most anything will do as you only need a small piece. Get a leather punch and use the largest punch to make a hole in the silicone then cut it out with scissors and force it over your valve stem, it will stretch nicely. Trim both silicone and butyl to fit inside the rim well as described. The soft silicone will seal much better than butyl alone once you have cinched the valve stem lock-nut on. cool.gif

I did one like this a couple of years ago and have been using it ever since! (Patent Pending). wink.gif

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 09:43 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News