Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Caffelatex
Gezzza
post May 24 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Anyone tryed it?

http://www.effettomariposa.com/prodotti_en.html

I normally use stans as its worked but im soon to run out and wondering if anyones tryed it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jes
post May 24 2010, 07:44 PM
Post #2

QUOTE(Gezzza @ May 24 2010, 08:02 PM) *
Anyone tryed it?

http://www.effettomariposa.com/prodotti_en.html

I normally use stans as its worked but im soon to run out and wondering if anyones tryed it.

One of the guy's in the local LBS was raving about the stuff when I went in on Saturday.

Previously he was a fan of Stan, apparantly Caffelatex foams, sealing porous tyres (those using SP or non UST) without having to slosh the sealant around the tyre.

About 25 a quart but unfortunatley a bit thin on the ground, apparantly awaiting delivery of stock to fill backorders.

+Quote Post
Gezzza
post May 24 2010, 07:49 PM
Post #3

It does appear to be getting some good reviews

+Quote Post
Gareth
post May 24 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #4

Group: Root Admin

I haven't tried it yet but would also be intereted in a long term review. They're saying that it's foaming action keeps liquid sealant in contact with the sidewalls which is good theory... What is true however is that sidewalls of tyres are much thinner than the rubber in the tread area and this is the main problem affecting sealing there in my mind, only very small holes will usually seal in sidewalls. think.gif

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

+Quote Post
Robs
post Jun 15 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #5

Hi guys,
been away for a while but here's my impression of caffelatex.
I've been riding tubeless for about 3 years now on the same mavic UST 819 rims mostly with Bontrager superjuice sealant which I liked for its longevity but which could be annoying in taking its time to seal up holes (sometimes days).
I originally didn't want to go with stans/eclipse type sealants because of a combination of small things: it dried out faster, you needed to use quite a bit more of it (I thought !) and there were reports that the ammonia was corroding aluminium rims, around the valve hole and via scratches - not a problem with a ghetto conversion obviously.
Caffelatex seems to address some of these concerns - AND it foams, which is interesting, but I'm sceptical about the benefits, TBH.

I've been using it in my rear wheel for over 6 months now and it is still sloshing around which is great and I have not topped it up.
I'll have to take their word that it doesn't corrode ali rims, mine is fine and I don't really know how much of a problem that really is, as countless thousands of people use Stans and reports of ruined rims are thin on the ground.

I'm using it with Conti Rubber Queens 2.2 (non UST) which are pretty porous - I aired them up with a track pump (without sealant) and sprayed them with washing up liquid solution and the sidewalls bubbled like mad! At least I seemed to get a decent bead lock on the UST rims though. ( FYI I take the pressure up to 70-80 psi til they ping into place)

The complication was that I was taking my bike to New Zealand and if you put new tyres on a (clean) bike they aren't so eager to spray everything with disinfectant at the airport.
So I couldn't put the tyres on with sealant here in the UK winter then ride around on them for a half hour to seat them, they had to arrive unused.
Happily they were ok to sort out with just a mini pump when I got there (not terrifically easy but do-able as I'd kept them inflated with inner tubes til I got there)

My biggest problem was that, at about 28-29 psi, the front tyre burped pretty easily on off-camber landings (this is scary and dangerous) and my overall impression is that caffelatex takes a while to seal things up - faster and more solidly than superjuice certainly, but I got no confidence on the front and reverted to a tube.

Now, 6 months down the line I'm pretty happy with it in the rear - it's formed a solid bead lock, burped only once since installation - a few days after at low pressure (23 psi) and there are various flecks and small strings of it dotted around the tyre so it's probably doing its job, but unless you get a loud hisser which seals fast it's difficult to know.

I'm going to try it on the front again but without washing up liquid as a lubricant, maybe it'll lock to the rim a bit better/faster. Maybe a Stans strip would help reduce burping too.

I also have the "impression" that it wouldn't seal big holes as effectively but this is pure conjecture, as it is just alot thinner and less viscous than Stans. (Which is advantageous in other ways as it coats easier and lasts longer than Stans)

Sorry this such a long post, it's difficult to describe the ins and outs of tubeless stuff sometimes! dizzy.gif

Rob.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Jun 16 2010, 04:47 PM
Post #6

Great review Rob agree.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robs
post Jun 18 2010, 11:33 AM
Post #7

Ta
It's a work in progress! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gezzza
post Sep 2 2010, 07:19 PM
Post #8

Just a quick up date

Ive used some and what can i say epic fail with CO2 it instantly turns to a large lump of latex naughty.gif

So for me its a no go I'll be sticking with Stans

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Sep 2 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #9

Some poor reviews coming out on CaffeLatex e.g. MBA gave it one star which is very unusual! They say it's just too thin for sealing duties with all but the smallest holes. think.gif

Ghetto plus Stan's is the best anti-burp combination can be as good as full UST.

However with a UST tyre I find it easier to just use tape and a home made valve/seal as it's just too tight to setup with Ghetto on my rims (5.1s) e.g. Maxxis Minion and Swampthings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
effettomariposa
post Oct 5 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Gareth @ Sep 2 2010, 08:52 PM) *
Some poor reviews coming out on CaffeLatex e.g. MBA gave it one star which is very unusual! They say it's just too thin for sealing duties with all but the smallest holes. think.gif
Well, we were equally surprised by the result of that test, also because the Italian version of MBA gave us 5/5 (no, anything to do with patriotism wink.gif ). It turned out there were two different versions on test: a pre-production and a commercial one. You can read more here

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Oct 5 2010, 07:05 PM
Post #11

Thanks for that clarification. Anyone else tried Caffelatex and liked it? If you send me some I promise to try it and report back to here. sneaky.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 09:55 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News