IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stan's ZTR Flow rims - Ghetto compatible?, Has anyone tried it?
Gareth
post Mar 7 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Root Admin

I'm looking at getting a new front wheel for 'downhill' use so I can run a more downhill friendly tyre. Has anyone tried a Ghetto strip with Stan's rims? I know he does his own strips but 23 for a rim strip? He's having a giraffe! ohmy.gif

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bazza
post Mar 7 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #2

Group: Members

Rim strip?!? You only have to use those on non-Stan's rims!
If you are running a Stan's rim, you use Stan's rim tape!
It's about 11 for a roll. Make sure you buy the one that fits your rim.
And, one roll will do 6 wheels!!

I know this, because I have ZTR 355's running tubeless/UST on my Stumpy!
Of course, you'll need the valve(s) as well, so factor that in.

I used to have the official DT UST kit on my Pro2/4.2's. And at 25/wheel, it's not a cheap option. Had to take the tyre off, and noticed that the DT strip was now knackered. Have since replace it with a run of Stan's yellow (well, I had plenty left over), and it's faultless.

I can't fault the Stan's rims/setup/milk. It just works.

edit: this is the procedure to fit the yellow tape. Don't skip the last step (fitting an inner, inflating, leaving for an hour). It really makes a difference to the fit/seal of the tape.

--------------------
NB: It's unlikely I'll see your reply. So, please PM me if you need a response.

+Quote Post
Zangolin
post Mar 7 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Gareth @ Mar 7 2010, 08:54 PM) *
I'm looking at getting a new front wheel for 'downhill' use so I can run a more downhill friendly tyre. Has anyone tried a Ghetto strip with Stan's rims? I know he does his own strips but 23 for a rim strip? He's having a giraffe! ohmy.gif

Beat me to it Bazza but same as above really.

All you need is Stans' yelllow tape (about 10 per roll - do 4 rims), Stans' valve + solution.

25mm Yellow tape here:http://www.justridingalong.com/shop.php?product=47

Olympic valves here:http://www.justridingalong.com/shop.php?pr...t=58&r=y5e4

Video here on fitting the yellow tape: http://www.notubes.com/movietape.php

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Mar 8 2010, 11:35 AM
Post #4

Phew that's a relief, hold on there is conflicting information here: Justridingalong ZTR conversion finder? and also NoTubes Rim Strips

So where do 'Tubeless Ready' tyres fit into this and doesn't the Flow rim incorporate 'Bead socket' technology which doesn't need a rim strip even with non-UST tyres? Or is it older Flow rims that don't have Bead Socket? think.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bazza
post Mar 8 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Gareth @ Mar 8 2010, 11:35 AM) *
So where do 'Tubeless Ready' tyres fit into this and doesn't the Flow rim incorporate 'Bead socket' technology which doesn't need a rim strip even with non-UST tyres? Or is it older Flow rims that don't have Bead Socket? think.gif

You're still okay with "tubeless-ready", or UST.
Well, I can only talk from experience of my ZTR 355's.
Mine are a regular rim, with holes on the reverse of the spokes. That's where the yellow tape comes in. And they are stupidly light, if it weren't for the ProII they'd float away.

The profile of the rim of my 355's is just like my DT's shallower in the middle, and higher at the rim - this is why I then went on to re-UST my DT's using the Stan's tape. To great success, I might add!! Which makes them ideal for UST - they're a bugger to get on over the bead, and sit them in the middle, then pop them into place.

--------------------
NB: It's unlikely I'll see your reply. So, please PM me if you need a response.

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Mar 9 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #6

Sounds good to me I'm going to get it anyway, just didn't want to find that I was heavily limited in tyre choice when I'm buying this wheel for specific (downhill) tyres.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zangolin
post Mar 10 2010, 08:13 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Gareth @ Mar 9 2010, 01:26 PM) *
Sounds good to me I'm going to get it anyway, just didn't want to find that I was heavily limited in tyre choice when I'm buying this wheel for specific (downhill) tyres.

I have got a couple of pairs of Flow rims.
I have run both Minion 2.5 and 2.35 normal single ply tyres as tubless with no problems - just using yellow tape, Stans valve + solution. The bead socket/groove works great.

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Mar 10 2010, 08:34 PM
Post #8

Really looking forward to my new front wheel now, I can feel a pair coming on! dance.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
snaps
post Oct 27 2011, 03:08 PM
Post #9

When you buy a Hope hoop with a Stans rim, is the green tape around the rim the same as Stans tape?
I want to run tubeless but I'm not sure if I leave this green tape on, swap it for Stans or put Stans over the top.

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Oct 27 2011, 05:16 PM
Post #10

I'm not sure, really happy with my Stan's taped Flow rim though, accept no substitute! To be honest anything that's well stuck down in the rim should work, electrical tape is fine too. sun.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
snaps
post Oct 27 2011, 07:15 PM
Post #11

Well I tried it with a new Larsen LUST & it seems fine, I normally use filament tape (50m very cheap on Ebay) instead of buying Stans.

+Quote Post
Old bert would
post Oct 29 2011, 08:13 AM
Post #12

Yes they work I'm running wilkinson specials 20" tubes ( couple of quid ) with mountain kings but have had several different tyres on all worked provided the bead hasn't being stretched too much.

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Oct 30 2011, 09:57 AM
Post #13

I always use 'Tubeless Ready' tyres like those by Bontrager, the key factor in the first place is whether the tyre is a snug fit on the rim. If it's tight with only thin rim tape then just use that. If you can't get the initial seal then add a layer of foam tape under a wrap of standard electrical (Insulating tape) stretched nice and snug. No need to stretch the foam tape or cut it accurately around or under the valve stem, use the bottom two layers of electrical tape for this the extra wraps are just to take up space so the tyre can get an initial seal. Alternatively if your chosen tyre is slack going Ghetto will also work as it 'fills up' the rim well.

I also make my own tubeless valves which I think work better than Stan's. I cut a Schraeder valve from an old tube leaving around three mill of rubber around the base (no need to be super neat). Then I take some silicone rubber (Poundstore sell inumerable suitable items as silcone cake moulds etc.) punch with a leather punch on it's largest setting and cut around it with scissors to make a small washer. Stretch the washer over the Schraeder valve and there you have it, the soft rubber forms a seal against even poorly drilled and cut rim/tape valve holes. Use the valve washer to tighten snugly. Make sure you trim off enough rubber to seat it down in the rim well, it mustn't be jammed up on the sides of the well. I've used the same one for three conversions now. sun.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 05:45 AM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News