IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can't seat/lock bead to beadlock of rim!, hours of fighting and getting frustrated now!!
Micky Finn
post May 27 2010, 06:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Hi.
1st post and stuck!

Have Richey Girder rims and bought a 'Joe's no-flats conversion kit' (shrader valve)

At first, couldn't seat the rimstrips under the bead lock. I removed the plastic spoke cover strip and replaced with the rimtape provided in the kit. Joe's Rimstrip now seated perfectly in the rim. (followed instuctions to the letter and used Stan's video for clarification).

Bought Hutchinson Scorpian Tubeless Light tyres. These were a complete TW*T to get on the rim and took blo*dy ages.

Now is where the real problem starts....

They won't inflate!! Been trying for hours!! Using a track pump and just can't get enough air in to lock the bead to the rim.

At this point I went up the road to the petrol station, wheels in hand and used the compressed air machine there.

Still cannot inflate the tyres!!

What am I doing wrong??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Saint
post May 27 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #2

Not sure about conversion kits but on proper tubeless I usually apply a little washing up liquid around the bead for two reasons,

one it helps put the tyre on rim

two it helps form a seal against the rim to help inflate the tyre

I also find if you apply a little pressure to the tyre where the valve is just to squash the tyre against the rim.

hope this helps...

--------------------
What the Heck!er

http://www.transportdirect.info
Connecting People to Places.

+Quote Post
Gezzza
post May 27 2010, 07:36 PM
Post #3

CO2 is your friend here or a real compressor.

Word of warning if your tire are that hard to put on i personally wouldn't use them as when your out in the middle of nowhere and one lets you down and you need to put a tube in you will be royally f**ked and it will only happen when its cold raining and your on your own

+Quote Post
peterfastlane
post May 27 2010, 07:42 PM
Post #4

Group: Validating

QUOTE(Micky Finn @ May 27 2010, 07:59 PM) *
Hi.
1st post and stuck!

Have Richey Girder rims and bought a 'Joe's no-flats conversion kit' (shrader valve)

At first, couldn't seat the rimstrips under the bead lock. I removed the plastic spoke cover strip and replaced with the rimtape provided in the kit. Joe's Rimstrip now seated perfectly in the rim. (followed instuctions to the letter and used Stan's video for clarification).

Bought Hutchinson Scorpian Tubeless Light tyres. These were a complete TW*T to get on the rim and took blo*dy ages.

Now is where the real problem starts....

They won't inflate!! Been trying for hours!! Using a track pump and just can't get enough air in to lock the bead to the rim.

At this point I went up the road to the petrol station, wheels in hand and used the compressed air machine there.

Still cannot inflate the tyres!!

What am I doing wrong??

It sounds to me the tyres, being tubeless, are actually too tight on the rims with the rim strip fitted. You may have allready tried lots of soapy water, removing the valve core, or even some latex sealer in the deflated tyres to try and seal the beads. An unrestricted(straight through) compressed air supply may do it, if you dont mind living dangerously, and can find a friendly local garage/tyre depot. An alternative is try the yellow rim tape from justridingalong. One roll will go round your rims twice, seal the spoke holes and is thinner than rubber strips. I think its about 5.00 a roll, but you will also need the valves, if the ones you have are moulded to the rubber strip.

+Quote Post
Gezzza
post May 27 2010, 07:45 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(peterfastlane @ May 27 2010, 08:42 PM) *
It sounds to me the tyres, being tubeless, are actually too tight on the rims with the rim strip fitted. You may have allready tried lots of soapy water, removing the valve core, or even some latex sealer in the deflated tyres to try and seal the beads. An unrestricted(straight through) compressed air supply may do it, if you dont mind living dangerously, and can find a friendly local garage/tyre depot. An alternative is try the yellow rim tape from justridingalong. One roll will go round your rims twice, seal the spoke holes and is thinner than rubber strips. I think its about 5.00 a roll, but you will also need the valves, if the ones you have are moulded to the rubber strip.

One roll of yellow tape is enouth for 4 rims 5g a rim worship.gif

+Quote Post
Micky Finn
post May 27 2010, 11:43 PM
Post #6

Cheers for all the replys lads:-)

Just been to the pub with some friends and one has come up with a possible solution.

I have a second, older bike with slightly wider Mavic rims on it, but the rear wheel has an 8 speed cassette instead of the 9speed that I'm trying to convert.

He suggests I convert these rims instead and swap the cassettes over (also not a job I've ever done)

Hopefully the tyre will get on better with the Mavic than the Richey rim(?)

+Quote Post
Micky Finn
post May 28 2010, 12:12 AM
Post #7

Just realised I can't swap onto the Mavic rims without having to rebuild both sets of wheels as the Mavic's currently don't have disc-hubs!

So that idea is big no!

+Quote Post
lucien
post May 31 2010, 07:31 AM
Post #8

Put a small amount of sealant in before you start pumping (and/or use CO2) as this seals the gaps as you pump - once happy that the tyre inflates you can add more sealant as needed.

Only other thing worth mentioning is that the Stan's conversion kits only name a few rim manafacturers a "specifically" compatible and then adds a sweeping statement along the lines of "and compatible with most other rim manafacturers also".

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 09:39 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News