IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bontrager Rythm/Panaracer Cinder tubeless help
shinyspoke
post Jan 3 2013, 10:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

I've got a 2009 Fuel EX8 with Bontrager Rythm Comp tubeless ready rims and Panaracer Cinder tyres. I keep getting flats on the Canal tow path, so want to go tubeless. Cany anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Jan 4 2013, 05:53 PM
Post #2

Group: Root Admin

Depends if your tyres are a tight or loose fit. Does it come off/go on really easily? If it's a snug fit just tape the rim by gently stretching electrical (insulating tape) around it two wraps then poke a hole through for the valve stem. If it's loose you can either add a Ghetto rim strip (see Ghetto section on here) or add a wrap of foam tape and another of insulating tape on top until you get a better fit. I don't think Panaracer are the best for tubeless but they may have improved since I last tried them a couple of years ago. Bontrager's own tubeless ready tyres are the best IMO.

Getting a snug but not tight fitting tyre is most of the battle, a good bead is also important and that is only guaranteed with a tubeless ready or UST tyre.

Best sealant I have used is Stan's.

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

+Quote Post
shinyspoke
post Jan 7 2013, 10:34 AM
Post #3

Group: Members

QUOTE(Gareth @ Jan 4 2013, 05:53 PM) *
Depends if your tyres are a tight or loose fit. Does it come off/go on really easily? If it's a snug fit just tape the rim by gently stretching electrical (insulating tape) around it two wraps then poke a hole through for the valve stem. If it's loose you can either add a Ghetto rim strip (see Ghetto section on here) or add a wrap of foam tape and another of insulating tape on top until you get a better fit. I don't think Panaracer are the best for tubeless but they may have improved since I last tried them a couple of years ago. Bontrager's own tubeless ready tyres are the best IMO.

Getting a snug but not tight fitting tyre is most of the battle, a good bead is also important and that is only guaranteed with a tubeless ready or UST tyre.

Best sealant I have used is Stan's.

Thanks Gareth.
The tyres were on the bike from new, but I haven't used it much due to injury. Looking through the site it looks like Panaracers could roll off the rim, I can get them off without tyre levers if I push them to the centre of the rim. If I replaced them for brand new all round tyres what would you recommend for going tubeless with my rims, they say that they are tubeless ready. I do cross country/ trail centre type stuff.

Thanks Martin

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 09:51 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News