Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ghetto Tubeless And Dt Swiss Rims
dreed
post Nov 20 2007, 07:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Just wondering - has anyone tried ghetto tubeless with DT Swiss rims?

I am looking to get some Pro 3s with DT 4.2 rims and wondering on their compatibility with ghetto. I am running ghetto at the moment on a Mavic 519 on the front and D521 on the rear with 2.4 Conti Mountain Kings with no problems and really like the set-up so would like to repeat it on the new wheels.

Or would the DT Swiss tubeless kits be a better option?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
glen4
post Nov 20 2007, 08:53 PM
Post #2

QUOTE(dreed @ Nov 20 2007, 07:32 PM) *
Just wondering - has anyone tried ghetto tubeless with DT Swiss rims?

I am looking to get some Pro 3s with DT 4.2 rims and wondering on their compatibility with ghetto. I am running ghetto at the moment on a Mavic 519 on the front and D521 on the rear with 2.4 Conti Mountain Kings with no problems and really like the set-up so would like to repeat it on the new wheels.

Or would the DT Swiss tubeless kits be a better option?

S'funny, I'm looking at the same set of wheels, are there any deals about? Best I've found so far is £320. Sorry can't help with the ghetto

+Quote Post
bazza
post Nov 21 2007, 12:11 AM
Post #3

Speaking as a happy owner of a set of factory Hope Hoops (Pro II's with 4.2's), can I just say....

CLICK
CLICK
CLICK
CLICK
CLICK

No idea on the tubeless. Thought about it. Haven't got round to it. Was going to go DT, or Stan's. Hadn't considered Tubeless, as I'm not 'in da ghetto'!

--------------------
NB: It's unlikely I'll see your reply. So, please PM me if you need a response.

+Quote Post
glen4
post Nov 21 2007, 08:33 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(bazza @ Nov 21 2007, 12:11 AM) *
Speaking as a happy owner of a set of factory Hope Hoops (Pro II's with 4.2's), can I just say....

CLICK
CLICK
CLICK
CLICK
CLICK

No idea on the tubeless. Thought about it. Haven't got round to it. Was going to go DT, or Stan's. Hadn't considered Tubeless, as I'm not 'in da ghetto'!

Bazza
I'm used to the clicking, had Royce hubs on my old Kona, jeez, they were loud blink.gif

Doug
believe the 4.2s are disc specific

+Quote Post
bodge
post Nov 21 2007, 11:53 AM
Post #5

I've ghetto'd some DT EX 5.1 rims, absolutely no problem at all.

--------------------
It's downhill all the way.....

+Quote Post
Tony F
post Nov 21 2007, 11:53 PM
Post #6

I've Ghettoed DT 4.2s. Apart from having to drill out the Presta sized hole to take Schraders, no problems.

Tony

Crosses fingers...

--------------------
Q: How does he stay upright at that speed?
A: He doesn't. Well not always. And the consequences have been horrendous!

+Quote Post
dreed
post Nov 22 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #7

Thanks for the posts. So it looks like it will be OK then.

On the topic of schraeder/presta valves and removable cores - apparently Schwalbe inner tubes with presta valves have the removable cores so no need to drill the rims smile.gif .

+Quote Post
dreed
post Jan 5 2008, 08:44 AM
Post #8

All done stupidlyhappy.gif . Conti Mountain Kings 2.4s aired up a treat after I cleaned off all the old sealant from the tyre bead. Holding air well after one ride and feel really light and fast.

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Jan 5 2008, 06:11 PM
Post #9

Group: Root Admin

There has been a fair bit of discussion about which tyres don't work with a Ghetto tubeless setup but I didn't think there were any rims which have been found to be unsuitable? There's bound to be some somewhere. dry.gif

One of the few disadvantages I have found with Ghetto is that it's a faff to change tyres and I'm inclined to run the tyres without removing then at all until they are worn out (the new puncture plugging kits finally make this possible). With a new tyre, setup is simple as there is no gunked up tyre to clean. I'm still musing about having a second pair of wheels non-tubeless for special tyres/conditions e.g. ice tyres though. A spare wheelset would always come in handy anyway... think.gif

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

+Quote Post
Tony F
post Jan 5 2008, 09:33 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Gareth @ Jan 5 2008, 06:11 PM) *
There has been a fair bit of discussion about which tyres don't work with a Ghetto tubeless setup but I didn't think there were any rims which have been found to be unsuitable? There's bound to be some somewhere. dry.gif

One of the few disadvantages I have found with Ghetto is that it's a faff to change tyres and I'm inclined to run the tyres without removing then at all until they are worn out (the new puncture plugging kits finally make this possible). With a new tyre, setup is simple as there is no gunked up tyre to clean. I'm still musing about having a second pair of wheels non-tubeless for special tyres/conditions e.g. ice tyres though. A spare wheelset would always come in handy anyway... think.gif

Mmmmm. I'd normally have switched from Panaracer Fire XCs to Trailrakers by now for the winter, but haven't bothered because of the faff of the Ghetto system. A second wheelset would certainly be the answer, but I can't justify the cost, and the Fire XCs have been ok-ish so far this winter.

Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Feb 9 2008, 04:46 PM
Post #11

Sorry to hijack the thread but:-
Is UST and Ghetto the same principal?I'm lost.
I've just bought a new Enduro SL Expert fitted with DT 4.2 rims and S-works Eskar tyres.According to the Spesh website its UST ready.The tyres a 2bliss compound,and can be run either way or something(the spesh server is down so i cant get all the info)I've always had misgivings about tubeless.Apart from weight are there really any advantages?

UST and Ghetto are quite different.

UST (Universal System for Tubeless) is a standard developed by Mavic for rims and tyres that fit perfectly with no gaps and form an air tight seal. No Latex sealant is required and you should be able to inflate the tyre with a track pump.

Ghetto Tubeless is a DIY rim/tyre conversion which uses a stretched 20” inner tube as a rim strip going right over the rim walls and helping to form a good seal with standard or preferably ‘Tubeless Ready’ tyres. In addition to the rim strip Latex solution is used to help the seal and also plug any small (e.g. thorny holes) it can even seal the multitude of tiny tea bag like perforations in a non-tubeless tyre!.
UST is the easiest to set up but the tyres tend to run heavy and being quite thick are not as supple as they might be. You can (and I would) add sealant to UST tyres but it’s not required. UST is the big wallet way to tubeless but not in my opinion the best.
Ghetto on the other hand will happily convert your existing wheels and even tyres to tubeless in under an hour.

Tubeless Advantages:
Small punctures in the tread self seal
Medium punctures or those in the sidewall can be easily plugged on the trail without removing the wheel or deflating the tyre.
Pinch punctures are all but eliminated (at a reasonable pressure)
Ride is more supple and with slightly less rolling resistance (no inner tube to deform as the tyre rolls)

Tubeless Disadvantages:
A faff to set up (or a satisfying craft once you get up to speed)
Changing tyres is a messy business best avoided (Ghetto/UST with sealant. Ghetto can be run without sealant in some circumstances but I wouldn’t)
Some slow air loss with Ghetto non-tubeless ready tyres.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bove
post Feb 9 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #12

Gareth,
I just thought i'd chuck this little snippet in........

I've left my bike unused now for almost 3 months. When i got it out this morning i was expecting all kinds of nastiness with my ghetto's (gone all flat and seal broken) but they were still good, a little soft but still good!
I was well impressed!

I must remember where i got thoses fitted think.gif

--------------------
j'aime les aventures de montagne, les champignons et les grenouilles

Je garde un grand saucisson dans mes shorts

Goog est mon ami avec les besoins spéciaux

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Feb 9 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #13

I've left my bike unused now for almost 3 months. When i got it out this morning i was expecting all kinds of nastiness with my ghetto's (gone all flat and seal broken) but they were still good, a little soft but still good!
I was well impressed!

I must remember where i got thoses fitted

Yes and second fitting only £99! laugh.gif

Hang on a minute, three months unridden? Lightweight! naughty.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bove
post Feb 10 2008, 08:27 PM
Post #14

I know but you should see my house!
After last years lay up i had some catching up to do.
Hibernation is now officially over. stupidlyhappy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Feb 10 2008, 09:07 PM
Post #15

I've seen it, It's looking good!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Boves_house.jpg ( 37.01k ) Number of downloads: 15

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bove
post Feb 11 2008, 01:40 PM
Post #16

I've put a fountain in since that was took!

Coming out of hibernation hurt, LLandegla threw me off the bike and by shoulder has copped for the lot!
Book me in for an xray please G Man

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paul
post Feb 11 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #17

Thought i`d be smart today and try seating 2 known crap tyres for ghetto and both weren`t tubeless.

They won banghead.gif though i`m sure i`d of cracked it with an airline. Didnt waste too much milk and it was a worthy experiment.Just rinsed the tyres off and give it a crack with an airline next time. Its so much easier with tubeless and Tubeless ready tyres.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Feb 11 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #18

Coming out of hibernation hurt, LLandegla threw me off the bike and by shoulder has copped for the lot!
Book me in for an xray please G Man

Oh-oh, take it easy we need you in one piece! naughty.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
davebee
post Feb 18 2008, 04:07 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Gareth @ Feb 9 2008, 06:46 PM) *
UST and Ghetto are quite different.

UST (Universal System for Tubeless) is a standard developed by Mavic for rims and tyres that fit perfectly with no gaps and form an air tight seal. No Latex sealant is required and you should be able to inflate the tyre with a track pump.

Ghetto Tubeless is a DIY rim/tyre conversion which uses a stretched 20” inner tube as a rim strip going right over the rim walls and helping to form a good seal with standard or preferably ‘Tubeless Ready’ tyres. In addition to the rim strip Latex solution is used to help the seal and also plug any small (e.g. thorny holes) it can even seal the multitude of tiny tea bag like perforations in a non-tubeless tyre!.
UST is the easiest to set up but the tyres tend to run heavy and being quite thick are not as supple as they might be. You can (and I would) add sealant to UST tyres but it’s not required. UST is the big wallet way to tubeless but not in my opinion the best.
Ghetto on the other hand will happily convert your existing wheels and even tyres to tubeless in under an hour.

Tubeless Advantages:
Small punctures in the tread self seal
Medium punctures or those in the sidewall can be easily plugged on the trail without removing the wheel or deflating the tyre.
Pinch punctures are all but eliminated (at a reasonable pressure)
Ride is more supple and with slightly less rolling resistance (no inner tube to deform as the tyre rolls)

Tubeless Disadvantages:
A faff to set up (or a satisfying craft once you get up to speed)
Changing tyres is a messy business best avoided (Ghetto/UST with sealant. Ghetto can be run without sealant in some circumstances but I wouldn’t)
Some slow air loss with Ghetto non-tubeless ready tyres.

Please could you advise the difference between Ghetto and a system such as Stans?

--------------------
Annoying **former** student type. I design roads these days...

+Quote Post
Tony F
post Feb 18 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #20

No doubt you'll have seen Stan's demo'd on t'internet. If not, Google it and watch the video (can't find the link just now). Stan's uses special rim tape, valves and sealant; Ghetto is really just a cheaper DIY version, that some claim works better.... It uses a 20" BMX tube slit lengthwise and stretched over any old 26" rim (over the usual rim tape) so that its effectively inside out with its valve where you'd expect a valve to be. You then install any old tyre (well, nearly) onto the rim, put some latex sealer inside the tyre (usually via the valve but you can tip it in before finally seating the tyre), and inflate the tyre so that it seals against the 20" tube. Trim off the excess tube that's sticking out from under the tyre, and Bob's your uncle. Watch the Stan's video and adapt his technique to the Ghetto system when inflating tyres and getting them to seal.

Ghetto works on the same principle as Stan's, but its cheaper and as Gareth's post makes clear, they are different from UST systems.

Hope this helps

Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 05:46 AM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News