Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ghetto Tubeless Checklist
torihada
post May 9 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #61

Group: Members

Might try again with the soapy water, but its tubes tomorrow.

--------------------
There do appear to be some hills south of the Trent...
http://www.youtube.com/butahada
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
torihada
post May 16 2009, 04:28 PM
Post #62

Update. Success. stupidlyhappy.gif Thanks Jarl, Gareth, TonyF et al. They're sitting in the kitchen with 60 psi and holding. Track pump got em up in a jiffy. That's the bonus of Bonty tubeless ready. Next; out with the valves and in with the stans juice.

FYI

1. I took out the factory supplied rim tape. Ran one layer of electrical insulating tape around the rim.

2. I used loads of soapy water when seating tyre. It wasn't easy but they went on by hand. Couldn't believe my eyes.

3. Riding with tubes in the tyres may have helped stretch the bead?

Now to test em; 85 mile ride on Monday. (I'll be carrying in addition to Weldite tubeless repair kit, 2 tubes and a metal tyre lever.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gareth
post May 16 2009, 04:54 PM
Post #63

Group: Root Admin

1. I took out the factory supplied rim tape. Ran one layer of electrical insulating tape around the rim.

Most likely to be getting rid of the factory tape that produced more slack rather than a tube 'stretching' the bead.

2. I used loads of soapy water when seating tyre. It wasn't easy but they went on by hand. Couldn't believe my eyes.

Soapy water can help when mounting the tyre and also to get the tyre to slide up on to the rim walls.

3. Riding with tubes in the tyres may have helped stretch the bead?

What running a tube for a day or two can do is help the tyre carcass to 'take some shape' which does aid with airing up.

The most important tip when airing up is to get the tyre beads up on the rim walls at the valve. Most do this by squeezing down on the tread but also grabbing the carcass at either side and pulling it outward can help.

Make sure to air up to 60PSI to get the initial seal sorted.

My favourite new test is to rotate the sealed tyre rim under water like you do when looking for a slow puncture with an inner tube. Any small bubbles can then be sorted with a bit of tipping and shaking to spread sealant on the leak. I use an old tool box filled with water but you can use the bath if SWMBO is not around. whistling.gif

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

+Quote Post
Jarl
post May 16 2009, 05:45 PM
Post #64

Bath? Tool box? Pah, use a river wink.gif

Yeah, I really did biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Say something that you know they might attack you for"

+Quote Post
torihada
post May 16 2009, 09:59 PM
Post #65

QUOTE(Jarl @ May 16 2009, 06:45 PM) *
Bath? Tool box? Pah, use a river wink.gif

Yeah, I really did biggrin.gif

Unfortunately I don't have a river at the bottom of the garden. rolleyes.gif

The seal seems pretty good....so far. Managed to inflate to 60 psi with a dozen strokes on the track pump, so lucky there. I watched the Stans video and it seems their rimstrip sits nicely under the rim, which seems to point to easier tyre seating and tyre changing, but at about 20 per strip I'm happy with my 2.5 bmx tubes......for the moment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vipergoat
post Jul 12 2009, 05:55 PM
Post #66

QUOTE(*Neb* @ Feb 7 2008, 11:45 PM) *
I bought some draft excluder from focus, it did the trick perfectly! the tyre was a bit of a pain to fit, but once they were on, I didn't even need to use soapy water to help the seal, I just pumped slowly with one hand and the tyre popped into place. nice!

I've left the tyres inflated but with no sealant in for the next day or two and I'll add the sealant and do all the business with that on saturday with a hangover. I've a wee 100ml squirty bottle that fits perfectly into the valve stem, so it should be ideal for adding the sealant without removing the tyre.

Thanks for all the help, that seems to be it sorted! I'll be aiming for a puncture on the next few rides just to confirm it works!!

This DIY lark is so much cheaper and more rewarding than buying the commercial stuff. I'm a convert!

Hi Neb

when you used the focus tape did you put it under the rubber on the rim or after the rubber.
cheers vipergoat

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 05:30 AM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News