Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Compiling a list of tyres used for Ghetto Tubeless
Orange Al
post Feb 20 2008, 11:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Seeing as I'm getting my new bike pretty soon and it doesn't have UST rims like my Pat66 has.
The EVO8 has Sun Ringle CR18 rims and Kenda Blue Groove and Nevagal tyres.
So with all the other post explaining how to convert to Ghetto there is no list that just states what tyres are suitable.
So if people could just put down what tyres they are using just so its easier for people to scan through. Oh and has any one used these tyres because if anyone knows that they dont work I will be able to Ebay them as new and get some rubber that does.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jarl
post Feb 20 2008, 11:48 PM
Post #2

DON'T put down any positive experiences with UST tyres- assume they'll work. (should avoid clutter). Also, see here. I'm fairly sure the nevegal will ghetto- I'm planning to buy one soon and ghetto it, and I wouldn't have planned to do that if I thought it wouldn't ghetto, if you follow.

yes:

Maxxis ADvantage

no:

Panaracer fireXC pro, 60 TPI

--------------------
"Say something that you know they might attack you for"

+Quote Post
Freester
post Feb 21 2008, 08:40 AM
Post #3

Group: Administrators

I think it's fair to say NO Panaracer will ghetto that well. Lot's of evidence of them rolling of the rim when they 'burp'.

I met the Stan's rep in my LBS the other day. He said just as much. A combination of small bead and soft sidewall makes them no good for Ghetto, Stans etc.

He said any Maxxis or Kenda is OK...

--------------------

+Quote Post
SammyC
post Feb 21 2008, 08:45 AM
Post #4

Al, I have said combination ghetto'd on the GT mate. Was a bit of a faff to seal but then have been great. smile.gif

+Quote Post
1gearnoidea
post Feb 21 2008, 10:33 AM
Post #5

bonty mud x tubeless ready agree.gif

conti vertical( for summer) agree.gif

--------------------
"boingy's....gears?? whats all that abart"

+Quote Post
*Neb*
post Feb 21 2008, 11:14 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Orange Al @ Feb 20 2008, 11:16 PM) *
Seeing as I'm getting my new bike pretty soon and it doesn't have UST rims like my Pat66 has.
The EVO8 has Sun Ringle CR18 rims and Kenda Blue Groove and Nevagal tyres.
So with all the other post explaining how to convert to Ghetto there is no list that just states what tyres are suitable.
So if people could just put down what tyres they are using just so its easier for people to scan through. Oh and has any one used these tyres because if anyone knows that they dont work I will be able to Ebay them as new and get some rubber that does.

Kenda Bluegroove and Kenda Nevegal definately work.

I've currently got them ghetto on sun singletrack rims. (I needed a bit of padding to raise the rimstrip, due to the width of the rims.)

So, you'll be ok!

+Quote Post
Tony F
post Feb 21 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #7

Panaracer Fire XC Pro folding bead - disgusted.gif

Panaracer Fire XC Pro UST - agree.gif

Specialized Resolution Pro (stock tyre) - agree.gif

Tony

--------------------
Q: How does he stay upright at that speed?
A: He doesn't. Well not always. And the consequences have been horrendous!

+Quote Post
wildrnes
post Feb 21 2008, 02:37 PM
Post #8

Group: Validating

nobby nics work

and seconded on the kendas

+Quote Post
Paul
post Feb 21 2008, 03:05 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Tony F @ Feb 21 2008, 12:46 PM) *
Specialized Resolution Pro (stock tyre) - agree.gif

Tony

Hi Tony. What do you mean by stock tyre? Is this the pro version or the sport? (Folding or wire)

These are the new versions of Adrenalin`s and i wouldnt mind giving them a go on the front.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rockymtnway
post Feb 21 2008, 03:45 PM
Post #10

Group: Moderators

I don't do getto, but I do use stan's on UST rims with the following tyres:
Kenda Nevegal 1.95 & 2.1 (great)
Kenda Karma 2.0 (great-over 6,000 miles with no bead issues)
Kenda Blue Groove 2.0 & 2.1 (good-can be a little tough to seat)
Schwalbe Fast Fred 2.0 (good-seemed to lose pressure over time more than others)
Hutchison Python Air Lite 2.0 (great)
Hutchison Scorpion Air Lite 2.0 (good)
WTB NanoRaptor 2.1 (good-but did have one time it came unseated from the rim, but I suspect I had low pressure at the time, as otherwise I've ridden over 1,500 miles on the tyre without incident)

I have had mixed results with the following tyres:
WTB MutanoRaptor 2.4 (pre-2005 worked perfect everytime, post-2005 hard to get seated on the rim and leaks from the rim-never fully seals)
Continental Vertical Pro (Pre-2005 tended to burp on me, haven't tried new ones)

I've had disasterous results with the following:
Schwalbe Racing Ralphs 2.1 (2006-2007 model- tough to seat, worked good for about 4 weeks, then blew off the rim in a rock garden at 20mph causing a trip to the A&E)
Specialized Adreneline Pro 2.0 (2004 model- very tough to seat, then while airing it up, at about 35-40psi, blew off the rim in my hands, turning several fingers black with bruising)

--------------------
Train easy, race fast, live strong

+Quote Post
joiner
post Mar 20 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #11

Conti verts and conti speed kings................

Glynn

--------------------

------------------------------------
try it...ya just might like it.......

glynn walker-obrien
------------------------------------

+Quote Post
Mick
post Mar 20 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Freester @ Feb 21 2008, 08:40 AM) *
I think it's fair to say NO Panaracer will ghetto that well. Lot's of evidence of them rolling of the rim when they 'burp'.

I met the Stan's rep in my LBS the other day. He said just as much. A combination of small bead and soft sidewall makes them no good for Ghetto, Stans etc.

He said any Maxxis or Kenda is OK...

I've Ghetto'd panaracer trailrakers using JRA wheel milk with no problems

--------------------

+Quote Post
1gearnoidea
post Mar 20 2008, 09:25 PM
Post #13

im thinking of trying to ghetto my hardtails pan fire xc pro's...will report asap

--------------------
"boingy's....gears?? whats all that abart"

+Quote Post
goog
post Mar 21 2008, 02:06 PM
Post #14

have a look here http://www.justridingalong.co.uk/content.p...c723f384e1df3b2

+Quote Post
bodge
post Apr 2 2008, 09:33 AM
Post #15

Spesh Chunder Pro biggrin.gif tough to get on but work well when on.

Bonty Big Earl Wets biggrin.gif easy peasy

Definite NO for Scott Stroke folding 2.35 - sidewalls just too soft and pop off rim when airing up sad.gif

--------------------
It's downhill all the way.....

+Quote Post
LonesomeCowboyBe...
post Apr 2 2008, 10:13 AM
Post #16

I use Maxxis high rollers on mavic rims, I cant always get em to seat, about 3 out of four has worked for me, the super tacky ones are quite porous though and need a good amount of sealant, single ply super tackys' let out quite a comical amount before they seal and burp a lot so avoid em

p.s. Ive only tried on the one set of rims (mavic 325) so I wouldnt take it as definitive, in fact you should probably be asking what rim/tyre combo is working as any given tyre may not work on a different rim

+Quote Post
SweatRental
post Apr 2 2008, 07:46 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(joiner @ Mar 20 2008, 10:04 PM) *
Conti verts and conti speed kings................
Glynn

Really?

After a long saga (wrong rims sent, etc etc) I went out this fine and sunny evening to complete the final step of ghetto-ing my beloved Conti Speed Kings on their new XC717 rims.

Having done the required reading I was all gung-ho for a battle, with the soapy water and the bulging biceps etc.

In practice the tyres are such a massively loose fit that I can't get them to touch the rim in 2 places at the same time. Is it because they are "folding" ? I started with a pair of Bulldogs that are beaded and it seemed they would work - ie it would be a battle to get them on - but I didn't carry on as I'd probably prefer the Speed Kings with tubes rather than compromise the tyre choice just to go ghetto.

Am I missing a trick on how to get these tyres on ghetto-style?

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Apr 2 2008, 08:21 PM
Post #18

Group: Root Admin

In practice the tyres are such a massively loose fit that I can't get them to touch the rim in 2 places at the same time. Is it because they are "folding" ? I started with a pair of Bulldogs that are beaded and it seemed they would work - ie it would be a battle to get them on - but I didn't carry on as I'd probably prefer the Speed Kings with tubes rather than compromise the tyre choice just to go ghetto.

There are some rim/tyre combinations that will never work but most will. Folding (Kevlar beaded) tyres sometimes need airing up with a tube in them overnight to 'give them shape'. Usually though unless the tyre is very kinky (oo-er!) it's more to do with it being a 'loose fit' on the rim. The best way to adjust your rim is to put a layer or two of foam tape under a rim tape made of electrical (insulating) tape to seal it and give a smooth surface. Piece of cake to apply you can get them both from Maplins and they both have other uses.

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

+Quote Post
SweatRental
post Apr 2 2008, 09:24 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Gareth @ Apr 2 2008, 09:21 PM) *
The best way to adjust your rim is to put a layer or two of foam tape under a rim tape made of electrical (insulating) tape to seal it and give a smooth surface. Piece of cake to apply you can get them both from Maplins and they both have other uses.

The tyres in question came right off other wheels so they are about as shapely (unkinky) as they can be.

Sorry but I can't visualise what you're recommending here with the tape. The tyres are such a loose fit (the sidewalls are way too floppy to stay inside the rim) that I'm thinking the next thing to try is securing them in several places with zip ties or tape until I get them sealed and inflated - because there is no hope of them staying on the rim without any help.

Fingers crossed for a nice evening tomorrow ...

+Quote Post
bobosola
post Apr 2 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #20

Group: Root Admin

QUOTE(SweatRental @ Apr 2 2008, 10:24 PM) *
The tyres are such a loose fit (the sidewalls are way too floppy to stay inside the rim) that I'm thinking the next thing to try is securing them in several places with zip ties or tape until I get them sealed and inflated - because there is no hope of them staying on the rim without any help.

Sounds very like my Trailrakers. I had a terrible time getting them ghettoed. They also would literally fall of the rims. Took about 500 attempts to pressure them up. When I eventually got them done, they were OK at 40psi, but burped out the whole load next ride at 35 psi. Back to tubes, then!

It seems to me (and I may be wrong) that a common thread in most of the successful ghetto stories revolve around tyres which are at least tight to get on, if not actually a pig to get on. It could be your tyres just aint going to make the ghetto grade, like mine. I'd be interested if anyone has got any 'slack fit' success stories?

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 09:39 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News