Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Compiling a list of tyres used for Ghetto Tubeless
Gareth
post Apr 2 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #21

Group: Root Admin

Tyres are only that slack when sections of the bead are sitting in the rim well. The rim well is a much smaller circumferance than where the beads sit once pushed out to the rim sides.

The foam tape fills the rim well (wrap once around the clean bare rim well, leaving a gap for the valve hole). Then cover this wrap of foam tape with a double wrap of electrical tape to hide it as it's sticky stuff. When wrapping the electrical tape keep it tight and you soon have a less deep rim well. This makes the tyre harder to get on the rim and easier to inflate. The tapes are lightweight and add little to your wheels weight.

Hope you get it now, it's not rocket science. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tony F
post Apr 2 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #22

Group: Members

QUOTE(bobosola @ Apr 2 2008, 10:50 PM) *
... I'd be interested if anyone has got any 'slack fit' success stories?

Story of my life that.

Sorry, wrong forum icon_redface.gif

--------------------
Q: How does he stay upright at that speed?
A: He doesn't. Well not always. And the consequences have been horrendous!

+Quote Post
Rockymtnway
post Apr 3 2008, 12:58 PM
Post #23

Group: Moderators

No slacking success here, but over the WE while riding in Moab (see blog for pics and stories) I had a rear tyre burp with my Python in the back. I hadn't had this problem before and I suspect that pushing the limits of low pressure and a slow leak while on a high traction sideslope riding on slickrock didn't help matters. Anyway, once it burped I tossed in a tube and neglected to replace it before last night's ride. Do'h! I hate it when I ride with tubes. As if on cue, 45 minutes into the ride my back tyre went flat. Two cactus spines had made their way in (probably picked up during last night's ride). I hate tubes! With tubeless I wouldn't have known about the spines until June when I was cleaning the tyre out and filling it with fresh Stan's.

--------------------
Train easy, race fast, live strong

+Quote Post
bodge
post Apr 12 2008, 07:00 PM
Post #24

Just ghetto'd a Kenda Blue Groove onto a DT EX5.1 rim, and a Nevegal onto a Mavic EN321.

Piece of cake both of them.

--------------------
It's downhill all the way.....

+Quote Post
1gearnoidea
post Apr 13 2008, 05:23 PM
Post #25

im about to ghetto some kenda nevegal onto mavic rims rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"boingy's....gears?? whats all that abart"

+Quote Post
joiner
post Apr 13 2008, 06:11 PM
Post #26

QUOTE(lee67 @ Apr 13 2008, 06:23 PM) *
im about to ghetto some kenda nevegal onto mavic rims rolleyes.gif

What all on your own me old ????????

Glynn

--------------------

------------------------------------
try it...ya just might like it.......

glynn walker-obrien

+Quote Post
1gearnoidea
post Apr 13 2008, 06:42 PM
Post #27

dont be silly glynn, i,ll be giving u a call m8 lol...just ordered the bmx tubes, will have them and the mavic wheels/tyres this week stupidlyhappy.gif ..less weight stupidlyhappy.gif

--------------------
"boingy's....gears?? whats all that abart"

+Quote Post
joiner
post Apr 13 2008, 06:56 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(lee67 @ Apr 13 2008, 07:42 PM) *
dont be silly glynn, i,ll be giving u a call m8 lol...just ordered the bmx tubes, will have them and the mavic wheels/tyres this week stupidlyhappy.gif ..less weight stupidlyhappy.gif

dance.gif

Glynn

--------------------

glynn walker-obrien

+Quote Post
MilitantGraham
post Aug 10 2008, 09:06 PM
Post #29

From: On the banks of the River Severn as it meanders it's way through the sun dappled leafy glades of the Wyre Forest.

Continental Vapour Protection on Mavic 317 & 717 = OK
Bontrager Jones on Mavic 317 & 717 = OK
Onza Porcupine on Mavic 317 = OK (Not tried on the 717, but should be OK)

--------------------
I am a Mountain Biking God.
Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.

+Quote Post
bodge
post Aug 18 2008, 08:37 PM
Post #30

Both the Nevegal on the HT and the Nevegal on the Ransom have had the casing punctured by rocks with holes that needed the JRA repair kit. Won't be using them again! And I don't normally get any punctures tubed or tubeless. Must be riding a bit harder now laugh.gif

Joiner says the sidewall Protection ones are tougher though.

Back to Bonty Big Earls while I consider any other tyres to use.

--------------------
It's downhill all the way.....

+Quote Post
joiner
post Aug 18 2008, 09:32 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(bodge @ Aug 18 2008, 09:37 PM) *
Both the Nevegal on the HT and the Nevegal on the Ransom have had the casing punctured by rocks with holes that needed the JRA repair kit. Won't be using them again! And I don't normally get any punctures tubed or tubeless. Must be riding a bit harder now laugh.gif

Joiner says the sidewall Protection ones are tougher though.

Back to Bonty Big Earls while I consider any other tyres to use.

Yep so far mine are standing up to the test stupidlyhappy.gif

Glynn

--------------------

glynn walker-obrien

+Quote Post
MilitantGraham
post Aug 19 2008, 01:44 AM
Post #32

From: On the banks of the River Severn as it meanders it's way through the sun dappled leafy glades of the Wyre Forest.

Maxxis Minion 2.35" on DT Swiss 4.1 = Very, very tight. I gave up in the end after bending a new Park Tools lever. Tried again with no rim tape under the rim strip and with plenty of proper tyre soap and they just about went on. If I ever need to fit a tube a tube at the side of the trail, I'll be in trouble.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bodger_the_biker
post Aug 22 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #33

Not exactly ghetto(EX823 rims) but normal Conti mountain king 26x2.4s seem to work realy well with sealent once seated. Though getting them seated did take many atempts(30+mins) even with using an airline at the local garage but its possibly just me being cack as it, as this was my first ever go at tubless. They do make a really very satisfying ping and bang when they do seat.

I am completely sold on tubless though feels very very nice compared to my old slime tubes happy.gif

+Quote Post
adydow
post Sep 17 2008, 08:10 AM
Post #34

I'm using Continental Mountain King protection 2.4's loads of grip compared to my previous Maxxis Advantage 2.25's, they inspire confidence and I run them between 35-40psi where I seem to get more grip. I tried running them at 30psi but they slipped alot more at the lower pressure.

+Quote Post
bodger_the_biker
post Sep 17 2008, 11:11 AM
Post #35

You gone tubeless Ady?

I find i have to run around 30-35 or i lose front grip any higher and the front slides out quite easily

+Quote Post
MilitantGraham
post Oct 26 2008, 09:39 AM
Post #36

Continental Vertical Protection 2.3" on DT Swiss XR 4.1 = the easiest I have found so far. I haver also fitted a Continental Vertical wire bead recently which was OK, but the folding ones are far easier.

Incidently, I've had two burps with the Contis. One was hitting a root or stone at an angle and one was a heavy front wheel landing. Both times I lost a bit of air, but the tyre didn't go down. I don't know if the flexibility of the kevlar bead makes them more likely to burp or better at instantly reseating.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rickos
post Feb 24 2009, 03:56 PM
Post #37

My first attempt at ghetto on my spare wheel/tyre combo, worked a treat, pumped up presta valves with an adapter from my cheapo zefal pump with a car footpump!
It probably helped that the tyres have been on the rims with tubes in for quite some time.

Maxxis High Roller 2.5 single ply on Halo Freedom discs

Rock solid, rode them at Afan for an afternoon after pinch flatting my Kenda rear at the end of the mornings ride, swapped the wheels out and even though they're a heavier set up, they felt superb, no loss of pressure at all.
I think I'm gonna convert everything to ghetto tubeless.

+Quote Post
MilitantGraham
post Jul 29 2009, 10:26 AM
Post #38

Maxxis Cross Mark 2.1 on Mavic 317 = Very easy

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gezzza
post Aug 2 2009, 08:51 PM
Post #39

QUOTE(bobosola @ Apr 2 2008, 10:50 PM) *
Sounds very like my Trailrakers. I had a terrible time getting them ghettoed. They also would literally fall of the rims. Took about 500 attempts to pressure them up. When I eventually got them done, they were OK at 40psi, but burped out the whole load next ride at 35 psi. Back to tubes, then!

It seems to me (and I may be wrong) that a common thread in most of the successful ghetto stories revolve around tyres which are at least tight to get on, if not actually a pig to get on. It could be your tyres just aint going to make the ghetto grade, like mine. I'd be interested if anyone has got any 'slack fit' success stories?

both my Speedking 2.3 SS and RaceKing 2.2 SS were slack you could easly take both beads off at the same time , once they were pumped up no issuses and thats 1 years riding in total.

+Quote Post
MilitantGraham
post Sep 13 2009, 02:51 PM
Post #40

I run my tyres at 45psi and I still keep burping them.
I'm wondering if it's because the tyres I am using are so easy to fit that they pop away from the rim under load too easily.
I could do with some 26x2.0 fast rolling XC tyres that are as hard to fit as the Maxxis Minions were.
I've been using Continental Race King 2.0s because I reckon rolling resistance is more important than grip.
Any suggestions for something similar that is less likely to burp.
I don't care how hard they are to get on the rim as long as they stay on there.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 08:33 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News