4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Compiling a list of tyres used for Ghetto Tubeless
Jarl
post Sep 14 2009, 01:39 PM
Post #41

Group: Members

QUOTE(MilitantGraham @ Sep 13 2009, 03:51 PM) *
I run my tyres at 45psi and I still keep burping them.
I'm wondering if it's because the tyres I am using are so easy to fit that they pop away from the rim under load too easily.
I could do with some 26x2.0 fast rolling XC tyres that are as hard to fit as the Maxxis Minions were.
I've been using Continental Race King 2.0s because I reckon rolling resistance is more important than grip.
Any suggestions for something similar that is less likely to burp.
I don't care how hard they are to get on the rim as long as they stay on there.

This was the problem I had. It seems the answer is to stick a bit of foam tape under the 20" tube to make the tyre less slack, but I never bothered. Burping was the reason I stopped using ghetto, too.

--------------------
"Say something that you know they might attack you for"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gezzza
post Sep 16 2009, 11:23 AM
Post #42

My be its not the tires but your choice of rim?
if your having issuses with somany different tires

+Quote Post
Doug
post Sep 16 2009, 11:31 AM
Post #43

Group: Administrators

This is what you need. As it's double sided it also holds the 20" tube in place making tyre changes a lot easier.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MilitantGraham
post Sep 17 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #44

From: On the banks of the River Severn as it meanders it's way through the sun dappled leafy glades of the Wyre Forest.

I've already got one layer of foam tape under the rim strip to make it easier to seat the tyre in the first place.
Maybe I should try adding more layers until it is almost impossible to fit the tyre.

--------------------
I am a Mountain Biking God.
Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.

+Quote Post
Doug
post Sep 17 2009, 10:47 AM
Post #45

QUOTE(MilitantGraham @ Sep 17 2009, 11:43 AM) *
I've already got one layer of foam tape under the rim strip to make it easier to seat the tyre in the first place.
Maybe I should try adding more layers until it is almost impossible to fit the tyre.

I had to run two layers on XM321's to get a Conti to seat easily. I found them to be pretty loose compared to Michelin and Maxxis.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tric0re
post Sep 19 2009, 08:12 AM
Post #46

2.2x26 bontrager tubeless ready tyres take 15 mins to put on the last few inches on a 2.8x26 with all forces of both of your thumbs, theyre impossible to get off with standard tyre levers, you need a screw driver to get down and underneith

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jarl
post Sep 19 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #47

QUOTE(tric0re @ Sep 19 2009, 09:12 AM) *
2.2x26 bontrager tubeless ready tyres take 15 mins to put on the last few inches on a 2.8x26 with all forces of both of your thumbs, theyre impossible to get off with standard tyre levers, you need a screw driver to get down and underneith

Just in case any inexperienced riders are reading this, that's bollocks. Screwdrivers are a good way of damaging your rims, and make pretty lousy tyre levers. If metal bicycle levers don't cut it, get some motorbike ones. If the tyre is that hard to get on or off a bit of soapy water, talcum powder or some spray (basically, any way of lowering the friction between the rim and the tyre) will make getting it on easier.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tric0re
post Sep 19 2009, 11:06 AM
Post #48

QUOTE(Jarl @ Sep 19 2009, 11:32 AM) *
Just in case any inexperienced riders are reading this, that's bollocks. Screwdrivers are a good way of damaging your rims, and make pretty lousy tyre levers. If metal bicycle levers don't cut it, get some motorbike ones. If the tyre is that hard to get on or off a bit of soapy water, talcum powder or some spray (basically, any way of lowering the friction between the rim and the tyre) will make getting it on easier.

standard tyre levers are 3-4mm thick for an average,

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug
post Sep 19 2009, 11:10 AM
Post #49

QUOTE(Jarl @ Sep 19 2009, 11:32 AM) *
Screwdrivers are a good way of damaging your rims,

Not to mention the bead of the tubeless tyres you are trying to fit giving them a nice leak at that point.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tric0re
post Sep 19 2009, 11:20 AM
Post #50

so pay 15 for some thin metal levers, and not 2.99

--------------------

+Quote Post
Northwind
post Oct 11 2009, 01:04 AM
Post #51

Or use a narrower lever, like a Lezyne Powerlever. Also, with some tyres it's more important to get them right into the valley of the rim (and some rims don't have much of a valley). I've fitted a Bontrager Jones UST to a Stans UST rim without any difficulty at all, but it was definately tighter than most, needed pretty careful placement.

Another tyre to add to the "Does ghetto well" list is the Kenda Excavator (like a beefier Nevegal)- nice tight beads, and the sidewalls seem tougher than the Nevegals.

+Quote Post
Chris M
post Oct 11 2009, 07:40 AM
Post #52

Bontrager Jones XR agree.gif

Lots of initial "pinholes" in the sidewall but they quickly sealed.

--------------------
Racing snakes, its not big and its not clever !!!

+Quote Post
Chef Shoes
post Oct 11 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #53

the strongest plastic tyre levers ive had is the ones from decathlon.. they are wider than normal and thicker but it would take one hefty tyre to make these bend! and they are lime green so easily spotted when changing tyre "in the field"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris M
post Oct 11 2009, 01:04 PM
Post #54

QUOTE(Chef Shoes @ Oct 11 2009, 09:58 AM) *
the strongest plastic tyre levers ive had is the ones from decathlon.. they are wider than normal and thicker but it would take one hefty tyre to make these bend! and they are lime green so easily spotted when changing tyre "in the field"

Nice tip, thank you agree.gif

I'll grab some next week when I'm up there

Cheers

Chris smile.gif

--------------------
Racing snakes, its not big and its not clever !!!

+Quote Post
rickos
post Oct 26 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #55

Maxxis Aspen 2.25 on Spank Oozy rims, no problem getting them on and pumped up, the shape of the oozy well profile seems to help with going ghetto, I didn't require foam tape or anything extra to pad out the rim strip.
A few more leaks through the sidewalls than other maxxis tyres I've ghetto'd but they seem to have sealed up.

Watch the Aspens though, I normally pump my ghetto's up to 60psi when I've first set them up to get them nice and set on the rim, doing one of these blew the tyre off the rim at just under 60psi ( stans everywhere!).
After I recovered from my shell shock, I set it up again at 40psi, dropped them to 30-35 psi the next day for a ride and they seemed fine.

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Oct 26 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #56

Group: Root Admin

Good point, I've blown a Big Earl off at 60PSI and it's quite a shock! laugh.gif I think my gauge reads a little low but I would say don't go above 50PSI to be on the safe side.

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

+Quote Post
Jarl
post Oct 26 2009, 11:12 PM
Post #57

Don't tyres have max. pressures on the sidewall?

--------------------

+Quote Post
rickos
post Oct 27 2009, 09:27 AM
Post #58

QUOTE(Jarl @ Oct 26 2009, 11:12 PM) *

Yes, the tyre I blew off the rim has a max of 65psi, but maxxis probably don't expect you to have a wet bmx tube splayed out between the tyre and the rim when they set these ratings.

I've not had this problem with any wire bead tyres, perhaps non-wire just have a bit of stretch.

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Oct 27 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #59

Group: Root Admin

They do but have the company tried it with your rim and pressure gauge?

Most say 60PSI but I think for a given rim with a Kevlar bead tyre actually going to sixty is a bit risky as the bang is really eye watering. ph34r.gif

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

+Quote Post
rickos
post Oct 27 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #60

QUOTE(Gareth @ Oct 27 2009, 07:33 PM) *
They do but have the company tried it with your rim and pressure gauge?

Most say 60PSI but I think for a given rim with a Kevlar bead tyre actually going to sixty is a bit risky as the bang is really eye watering. ph34r.gif

you can say that again, not only were my eyes watering - partly due to a load of stans in the face, but my ears were ringing for about a minute.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2017 - 09:53 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News