IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Most expensive tubeless tires ever?
Gezzza
post Jan 10 2009, 02:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

So the new tires turned up yesterday morning Continental racekings 2.2 supersonics.

so time to whip the nobbly nics off and pop them on Ive done it a few times so i wasn't sweeting about it.
i popped them on they were looser than the nics but about the same as my SpeedKings so i get the water and soap mix and liberally coat them and start pumping this is 3pm by 5pm i still hadn't got any were, so off to helfords i go for a presta to Schrader adapter (£4) to use the compressor at the garage, well what a waste of time that was as the compressors put out bugger all, so home i go and start pumping getting no were again so helfords again co2 pump and some cartridges (£12).
I cant fail now biggrin.gif first two cartridges blasted out to atmosphere, third ones inflated the tire YES so i pop the pump off and fiddle around putting the valve core back in and get the track pump on there and start pumping away the tire just leaks all the air out and goes flat the barsteward tire still hasn't popped onto the bead and i managed to break the track pump disgusted.gif .

So back to helfords one track pump (£30) and i wipe them out of co2 five packs (£20), I will get these tires on to night.

first blast on the co2 and crack the tires on the bead get the valve core in and pump up 40psi excellent shake it leave it to rest, on to the back tire.

soap her up 8 co2 cartridges later and finally crack she on the bead valve core in and pump away shes there at last its now 9pm give it the shake and rest and call it a night its -5 and I'm cold.

this morning I'm expecting two flat tires as they have paper thin sidewalls, it took a good week to get the SpeedKing supersonics sealed the front still has 40psi stupidlyhappy.gif the rear is down to 5-10psi pump her up and off for a ride, its still losing pressure but it will seal up in time.

so £66 to inflate two tires
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mick
post Jan 10 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #2

QUOTE(Gezzza @ Jan 10 2009, 02:22 PM) *

disgusted.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
stephen
post Jan 10 2009, 03:50 PM
Post #3

So the new tires turned up yesterday morning Continental racekings 2.2 supersonics.

so time to whip the nobbly nics off and pop them on Ive done it a few times so i wasn't sweeting about it.
i popped them on they were looser than the nics but about the same as my SpeedKings so i get the water and soap mix and liberally coat them and start pumping this is 3pm by 5pm i still hadn't got any were, so off to helfords i go for a presta to Schrader adapter (£4) to use the compressor at the garage, well what a waste of time that was as the compressors put out bugger all, so home i go and start pumping getting no were again so helfords again co2 pump and some cartridges (£12).
I cant fail now biggrin.gif first two cartridges blasted out to atmosphere, third ones inflated the tire YES so i pop the pump off and fiddle around putting the valve core back in and get the track pump on there and start pumping away the tire just leaks all the air out and goes flat the barsteward tire still hasn't popped onto the bead and i managed to break the track pump disgusted.gif .

So back to helfords one track pump (£30) and i wipe them out of co2 five packs (£20), I will get these tires on to night.

first blast on the co2 and crack the tires on the bead get the valve core in and pump up 40psi excellent shake it leave it to rest, on to the back tire.

soap her up 8 co2 cartridges later and finally crack she on the bead valve core in and pump away shes there at last its now 9pm give it the shake and rest and call it a night its -5 and I'm cold.

this morning I'm expecting two flat tires as they have paper thin sidewalls, it took a good week to get the SpeedKing supersonics sealed the front still has 40psi stupidlyhappy.gif the rear is down to 5-10psi pump her up and off for a ride, its still losing pressure but it will seal up in time.

I feel your pain ,but I`m sure it was worth the effort. happy.gif

--------------------
www.flickr.com/photos/trek8900/

+Quote Post
Suggsey
post Jan 10 2009, 04:16 PM
Post #4

Group: Moderators

£66, mmmm, thats well over a 100 tubes on a bulk buy isnt it? laugh.gif
Tubes you know are the real way forward, ride anywhere, no danger of ripping those flimsy sidewalls, not much less grip than a normal tyre, not that much more weight.................. agree.gif

+Quote Post
Gezzza
post Jan 10 2009, 04:19 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Mick @ Jan 10 2009, 02:39 PM) *
Nobody ever said it was cheap rolleyes.gif

I know but i could have bought a compressor for that nearly banghead.gif

QUOTE(stephen @ Jan 10 2009, 03:50 PM) *
I feel your pain ,but I`m sure it was worth the effort. happy.gif

Tubeless is woth the effort

+Quote Post
eddie
post Jan 10 2009, 04:21 PM
Post #6

could have bought your own compressor for that with a 25ltr tank. laugh.gif

edit : just bet me to it biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gezzza
post Jan 10 2009, 04:25 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Suggsey @ Jan 10 2009, 04:16 PM) *
£66, mmmm, thats well over a 100 tubes on a bulk buy isnt it? laugh.gif
Tubes you know are the real way forward, ride anywhere, no danger of ripping those flimsy sidewalls, not much less grip than a normal tyre, not that much more weight.................. agree.gif

hmm last tubes i bought were £7 each Continal Supersonics as they are light 95g, ripping sidewalls would trash a tube, grip is less.

weight my tubeless kit is light tape 5g valve 5g and sealent 20-40g ish

with a tube set up rim strip 20-30g tube 95g so tubeless has saved me 130g thats 1/4LB

+Quote Post
Suggsey
post Jan 10 2009, 05:10 PM
Post #8

Group: Moderators

I hear what your saying but a mug of coffeee or tea pre ride ways the same weight or even worse if you are constipated. Unless you are into racing where out and out speed is vital then for me in my opinion this tubeless thing is just another bit of industry hype duel.gif

+Quote Post
Gezzza
post Jan 10 2009, 05:28 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Suggsey @ Jan 10 2009, 05:10 PM) *
I hear what your saying but a mug of coffeee or tea pre ride ways the same weight or even worse if you are constipated. Unless you are into racing where out and out speed is vital then for me in my opinion this tubeless thing is just another bit of industry hype duel.gif

I disagree IMO tubeless is the the future the weight saving is just an added bonus the extra grip and lack of punchers is worth it, i would use it even if it was heaver than tubes and thats saying some thing from me

+Quote Post
Crank
post Jan 10 2009, 05:51 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Gezzza @ Jan 10 2009, 04:25 PM) *
so tubeless has saved me 130g thats 1/4LB

and what will that 1/4lb do for you..??

+Quote Post
Gezzza
post Jan 10 2009, 05:55 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Crank @ Jan 10 2009, 05:51 PM) *
and what will that 1/4lb do for you..??

stop me fixing punchers in the cold agree.gif

+Quote Post
Jarl
post Jan 10 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Suggsey @ Jan 10 2009, 05:10 PM) *

Nah, tubeless is worth it IMO. No punctures... ever!

--------------------
"Say something that you know they might attack you for"

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Jan 10 2009, 06:03 PM
Post #13

Group: Root Admin

Off we go with the whole tubeless Vs non tubeless argument. For some they are definitely worth it with far less pinch punctures allowing a more sensible pressure on the rocks and thorny punctures eliminated. The weight issue is less important but to get the same puncture resistance as tubeless you need downhill tubes and a heavy tyre. Wheels are the place to lose weight if you can with weight lost there more important than off your frame, body or riding pack.

Ghetto is not industry hyped or more expensive than tubes in the long run but it is one of the best.

If you´re not pushing performance limits few upgrades are worthwhile...

My best advice for anyone with slack fitting tyres is to run foam tape like that from Maplin under your rim tape. What this does is take up some of the rim well giving a tighter initial ´fit´ so that the first burst of air pops the tyre up on the rim easily. Piece of cake.

I noticed compressors were down as low as thirty pounds in the January sale at B&Q, you do however need an air line and trigger (around 10 pounds from e-bay).

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

+Quote Post
Paul
post Jan 10 2009, 07:19 PM
Post #14

I`m surprised you never got the butler to fit them for you laugh.gif

Fair play for sticking with it. Its so frustrating when everything goes wrong and amazing where the time goes trying to solve it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gezzza
post Jan 10 2009, 07:24 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Paul @ Jan 10 2009, 07:19 PM) *
I`m surprised you never got the butler to fit them for you laugh.gif

Fair play for sticking with it. Its so frustrating when everything goes wrong and amazing where the time goes trying to solve it!

She was busy think.gif and i wouldnt trust her near my bike

+Quote Post
mannlamb
post Jan 10 2009, 08:51 PM
Post #16

Oh Boy, I remember spending hours doing somthing similar 6 months or so ago (Sorted it with my neighbours 5,000 psi diving cylinder laugh.gif ) but I too think its all worth it. Were your tyres folding tyres? I remember Rocky adding a reply that leaving folded tyres inflated over night with a tube in them will help the whole process the following day. agree.gif

(Old thread)

--------------------
Valentino Rossi e numero uno (e ora campione del mondo - Yee-Har)

+Quote Post
Jarl
post Jan 10 2009, 09:29 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(mannlamb @ Jan 10 2009, 08:51 PM) *
Oh Boy, I remember spending hours doing somthing similar 6 months or so ago (Sorted it with my neighbours 5,000 psi diving cylinder laugh.gif ) but I too think its all worth it. Were your tyres folding tyres? I remember Rocky adding a reply that leaving folded tyres inflated over night with a tube in them will help the whole process the following day. agree.gif

(Old thread)

Same for all tyres. With folding tyres you could also turn them inside out for the same effect smile.gif

--------------------
"Say something that you know they might attack you for"

+Quote Post
Tony F
post Jan 11 2009, 12:49 AM
Post #18

On a different but related point, when I pushed my bike from the shed to the car today I noticed a peculiar noise. A little investigation revealed that it was the wheel milk in the tyres - it had frozen and was rolling around inside there. I guess its not much good for sealing punctures in that condition, but it had defrosted in the hour and a bit it took me to drive to the Lakes.

Anyone know if freezing damages the sealant? I can't be the only one who's bike storage had dropped below freezing in the past few weeks...

T icon_question.gif ny

--------------------
Q: How does he stay upright at that speed?
A: He doesn't. Well not always. And the consequences have been horrendous!

+Quote Post
old dude
post Jan 11 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #19

not a propper answer but,
if you have a bit spare why not put a bit in freezer bag
leave in the frezzer, and see what happens to it , and how it reacts to the cold!
btw, is it water based? as this will probably be the biggest facter in it,s cold weather perfomance

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 10:19 AM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News