IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> UST Tubeless, Is there anything that I am missing
Promethus
post Jan 25 2009, 12:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

I am sorry if this has already been asked, but I could not find what I was looking for.

Well I have decided to switch from tubes to tubeless. Can anyone tell me if I am missing anything?

I already have my wheels, which are Mavic Crossmax SLís, which are UST wheels.
I have the Mavic prester tubeless valves.
And I intend on getting a pair of Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evolution UST tires.

Do I need any form of sealant? If so, which one would be best?
Is there anything else that I need?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gezzza
post Jan 25 2009, 08:14 AM
Post #2

QUOTE(Promethus @ Jan 25 2009, 12:54 AM) *
I am sorry if this has already been asked, but I could not find what I was looking for.

Well I have decided to switch from tubes to tubeless. Can anyone tell me if I am missing anything?

I already have my wheels, which are Mavic Crossmax SLís, which are UST wheels.
I have the Mavic prester tubeless valves.
And I intend on getting a pair of Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evolution UST tires.

Do I need any form of sealant? If so, which one would be best?
Is there anything else that I need?

You will need some soapy water for seating the tire, you don't have to run any sealant but i would as it will fix those small punchers on the go.
Ive only ever used Stans never felt the need to look else where.

The only thing i don't know is if you need to fir anything to your rim if you bought the SL's new they will come with any thing you need to set them up UST.

Have a look on Stans NoTubes website for inflation guides for tubeless

+Quote Post
stephen
post Jan 25 2009, 08:58 AM
Post #3

Stans sealant is good but I am using Joes sealant which is quite similar and has faired well and good bit of riding through all sort of stuff has not as yet given me a flat .
Onen thing though Tubeless tyres are a bugger to inflate on the trail so get yourself some CO2 gas canisters trust me a mini pump will not do it if you do suffer a flat failing that carry a spare tube just in case you need to get you out of trouble.

--------------------
www.flickr.com/photos/trek8900/

+Quote Post
mannlamb
post Jan 25 2009, 09:31 AM
Post #4

To help you seat the tyre (which is every thing when trying to inflate it quickly and popping it on the rim to make an airtight seal..) try leaving it fully inflated on the rim with a tube in it the night before. This will help shape the tyre (esp if its a folded tyre) ready for the following day agree.gif.

--------------------
Valentino Rossi e numero uno (e ora campione del mondo - Yee-Har)

+Quote Post
Doug
post Jan 25 2009, 09:46 AM
Post #5

Group: Administrators

You can make getting it to seat easier with UST rims by putting a tube in, pumping it up and getting the tyre to properly seat. Deflate and remove the tube but only unseat the side you take it out from. Your tyre is half seated before you begin. As you put unseated side back on, start opposite the valve trying to get it into the seating groove in the UST rim as you go. You should be able to get about halfway round, any further and it will come off as you fit the last bit of tyre over the rim. 75% of the tyre is now already seated before you even start to inflate. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mannlamb
post Jan 25 2009, 10:56 AM
Post #6

yep ! Fair one agree.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Promethus
post Jan 25 2009, 12:12 PM
Post #7

Thanks for your responses.

I will add some sealant to the shopping list. I will also give the inserting an inner tube, to get the tyre the right shape, and seated.

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Jan 25 2009, 05:12 PM
Post #8

Group: Root Admin

Latex sealant is wonderful stuff if a little messy once you have to change tyres! For some riders who change tyres a lot running without sealant may seem to make sense, I would just have a second wheelset either with my other tyre choice or without sealant for tyre swaps if absolutely needed. cool.gif

P.s. there have been some excellent deals on portable (6 litre) compressors recently at B&Q Depot.

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

+Quote Post
Mad Pierre
post Jan 26 2009, 09:10 AM
Post #9

The only thing you are missing is a proper UST repair kit. Get one that works from the outside like the Weldtite one.

Most UST tyres will seat fine with a track pump without any soapy water or anything (some can be a pain tho!).

You don't need sealant. UST works fine without and is a whole lot less messy without. I'd only use it if you are prone to thorn punctures. Slime doesn't dry up and need replacing as often as all the latex based versions.

Out in the field you shouldn't need to remove the tyre (even to fix a puncture if you have the right kit) so no new pump or gas canister or anything is needed. Just carry a tube in case of dire need.

--------------------
Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

My corner of the interweb: www.mountainbikerides.co.uk

+Quote Post
Promethus
post Jan 26 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #10

Is this the repair kit that you were thinking of Mad Pierre (Link)?

+Quote Post
Jarl
post Jan 27 2009, 01:16 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(Promethus @ Jan 26 2009, 11:20 PM) *
Is this the repair kit that you were thinking of Mad Pierre (Link)?

Yup, that the one (and yes, I know I'm not MP wink.gif)

--------------------
"Say something that you know they might attack you for"

+Quote Post
Mad Pierre
post Jan 27 2009, 07:51 AM
Post #12

As Jarl said. Yep.

Tip: cut the "strings" in half to get twice as many repairs from the kit. They don't need to be that long if you're careful inserting them?

Also we managed to scrounge loads of spare "strings" from a golf course - they use similar to repair golf buggy tyres!

--------------------
Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

My corner of the interweb: www.mountainbikerides.co.uk

+Quote Post
Promethus
post Jan 27 2009, 11:38 PM
Post #13

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I ordered the tyres, and some latex sealant, this morning, and I will be ordering the repair kit when it comes back in stock at CRC.

+Quote Post
mannlamb
post Mar 12 2009, 08:12 PM
Post #14

Wow! Here is a story of excellent timing .....

I have been running my tubeless set up for about a year now (?) on my Maxlight commuter, and they have been brilliant. But, I felt I was running the gauntlet slightly but not carrying a tubeless repair kit or even a spare tube.
Yesterday (after the debacle of my job m/c blowing up), I nipped into my lbs and bought an innovations repair kit - similar to the one posted above. Stuck it in my camel back.
Today, I've cycled in, and as I pulled in to the yard, saw the bike mechanic having a fag by the workshop entrance. Nipped over on the bike to the corner of the yard, chatted about yesterday, then cycled off to my garage in the far corner. Pfffffffft. Big puncture! Almost undoubtedly some screw or fixing on the floor from the workshop. My latex was coming out like a kids water pistol and was clearly not going to seal it.
Hey presto, out with my new tubeless sticky strips and baby pickled onion fork thing, (that I had only bought about 12 hours previously!) shove it through the hole, pull the fork back out, reinflate with gas cartridge... Jobs a goodun. How easy was that?? Top bit of kit!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 03:23 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News