Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> tyre seating problem, cant get tyre to seat
vipergoat
post Jul 12 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Hello all

I got a noflats convertion kit and have tried to seat my high rollers single ply but to no avail. front is 2.35 onto richey rim back is 2.1 onto dtswiss 4.1d track pump just laughs at it even took it to lbs they used compressor no joy.

So now i'm trying ghetto no joy still. I was reading that if you have slack tyres(mine go on without levers which is why they won't go up I think) use foam tape with electrical tape over it to help them seat does this foam set up go on the rim under the rubber or after the rubber is on and slit etc... and if using shrader tube rubber is it best to take out core to get initial inflate using co2 cartridge(do they work for this purpose.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Jul 12 2009, 05:55 PM
Post #2

Group: Root Admin

Put the foam tape under the insulating tape wrap, covering the whole of the bottom of the rim well with the insulating tape, probably just one wrap of foam tape underneath it, some may take two.

CO2 cartridges are an expensive way of mounting up, I prefer a cheap 6Hp compressor for around 50 plus 10 for the inflation gun, look out for them on sale at B&Q.

You do need to get the fit more or less right then make sure that you separate the beads which tend to come together in the middle of the rim right over the valve, that way no air is getting into the tyre at all. Most often this can be done by just squashing the tyre down on top of the tread as this forces the beads apart, I have been known to actually pull the beads outwards but this can be tricky to do without a helper.

Yes, do the first inflation without the valve core, then allow to deflate and pop in a core before re-inflating, be sure to over-pressurise to the max tyre wall rating to get a good seat.

It's all worth it and gets much easier with practice and a correctly adjusted fit, which only needs doing once.

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 11:39 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News