IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tyre coming off the rim with tubes- possible fix?, (continuation of ghetto compatible thread)
Jarl
post Sep 16 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

A little history from the ghetto compatible thread if you haven't read it:

Graham was having problems with ghetto setups burping (when cornering or landing a jump slightly off skew, the forces force the tyre off the rim and air escapes quickly). I too had that problem, and recommended he try a bit of foam tape between the tube and rim. Doug then recommended some double sided tape.

Then I remembered recently I was playing around at a big bombhole, and got some pretty decent speed up then into a turn at the bottom and my tyre came away from the edge of the rim and made the bike feel very skittery for a second or so. Ok, so I should have been running a bit more pressure, but would a bit of foam tape between the rim and rim tape have helped at all?

--------------------
"Say something that you know they might attack you for"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doug
post Sep 16 2009, 12:02 PM
Post #2

Group: Administrators

It's not the tyre coming off the rim that causes the burp. On a well set up tubeless/ghetto system the tyre bead seals against the rim edge and rim base, as the bead comes off the rim it slides on the base of the rim or rimstrip maintaining the seal.

If the rim has a deep centre section like XM321's this doesnt happen, the bead comes away from the rim edge, as it doesn't have a seal against the rim base a gap forms causing the burp. Hope this helps.

The foam tape raises the ghetto tube making a better seal between the bead edge when the bead is squeezed away from the rim edge. It also makes it much easier to get the tyre to initially seat.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jarl
post Sep 16 2009, 01:07 PM
Post #3

Group: Members

Ahh, that makes sense. Cheers Doug agree.gif

--------------------
"Say something that you know they might attack you for"

+Quote Post