IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can I use a 1/8" chain on 3/32" sprockets ?, Rohloff/singlespeed question.
MilitantGraham
post Oct 12 2009, 08:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
From: On the banks of the River Severn as it meanders it's way through the sun dappled leafy glades of the Wyre Forest.

Looking at alternative chains again now that the Rohloff ones I've been using are up to 45.
I don't need the flexibility of a 7,8,9 or whatever speed chain and I'm guessing a chain that isn't designed to flex will be stronger.
There seems to be a lot more 1/8" then 3/32" singlespeed chains about though.
If I could, I'd go for 1/8" sprocket & chainring, but the 13t Rohloff sprocket I'm using is only available in 3/32".
Is there any reason why I can't use a 1/8" chain on 3/32" sprockets ?

--------------------
I am a Mountain Biking God.
Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jes
post Oct 12 2009, 09:15 PM
Post #2

QUOTE(MilitantGraham @ Oct 12 2009, 09:19 PM) *
Looking at alternative chains again now that the Rohloff ones I've been using are up to 45.
I don't need the flexibility of a 7,8,9 or whatever speed chain and I'm guessing a chain that isn't designed to flex will be stronger.
If I could, I'd go for 1/8" sprocket & chainring, but the 13t Rohloff sprocket I'm using is only available in 3/32".

Graham,
In theory its possible except for two possible area's that come to mind.

1. Chain Tensioner - can't remember if you run one but 1/8 chains don't fit without rubbing the plates (I've tried it)
2. I think you were running a 13t rear sprocket which sits lower to the hub body than the 16t & 17t I run, not sure if you will have enough clearance between the hub body & sprocket without rubbing.

I've recently tried the Gussett slink half link chain in 3/32, very pleased so far.
13-15 example

Only down side from your perspective may be weight, but they do a lighter titanium nitride coated gold version with cut out side plates for aboout 30-35

Hope this helps agree.gif

+Quote Post
Mick
post Oct 12 2009, 09:15 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(MilitantGraham @ Oct 12 2009, 09:19 PM) *

It'll work OK but I use one of these on my SS and find they last far longer then cheap 1/8" chains and are very strong. There are specs somewhere on t'internet for their ratings but I can't find it at the moment disgusted.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MilitantGraham
post Oct 14 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #4

From: On the banks of the River Severn as it meanders it's way through the sun dappled leafy glades of the Wyre Forest.

Good point about the tensioner and hub clearance, jes.
I run 34x13 on the FS with a Rohloff tensioner and chainguide and a bare 36x13 on the HT.
I had to grind a bit of the chainguide away to clear the cranks as it is with such a small ring in the outer position.
All in all, I guess it won't work.

That KMC chain was just about the only 3/32" chain I found, Mick. I think I'll give it a go.
Trouble is, I'd prefer to stick to one type of chain because I've got such short chain runs with the Rohloff hubs, I get about 10 links left over whenever I fit a new one.
I reckon if I searched around and found all my old offcuts, I've nearly got enough to join them all together and make up a free chain. agree.gif

--------------------
I am a Mountain Biking God.
Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.

+Quote Post
Mick
post Oct 14 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(MilitantGraham @ Oct 14 2009, 06:48 PM) *
I get about 10 links left over whenever I fit a new one.
I reckon if I searched around and found all my old offcuts, I've nearly got enough to join them all together and make up a free chain. agree.gif

It's a bit like that with my SS. maybe I ought to start saving the offcuts think.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 05:47 AM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News