IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can't fit Swampthing on Bontrager rim, Any ideas?
Chris M
post Oct 22 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

It's just too tight.

It only just goes on the bare rim, after a lot of struggling.
I left it with a tube in overnight at 60psi but with the 20" strip in, I just cannot get the tyre over the rim.

So far I've broken 3 tyre levers, killed two spoons and holed the innertube. Are some tyre/rim combo's just too tight to fit?

Cheers

Chris smile.gif

--------------------
Racing snakes, its not big and its not clever !!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Oct 22 2009, 08:02 PM
Post #2

Group: Root Admin

It's possible it's just too tight. Here is the best technique in case you're not using it:

Two wraps of electrical tape, slightly stretched as it's applied. Make a valve hole opening with a screwdriver.

Slap on your 20" tube and screw the valve stem locknut tight to pull the valve stem hard through the rim.

Lube the beads with soapy water and pop the first bead over, making sure the bead is in the middle of the rim well all the way around, finish at the valve (because this can stick up into the well a bit and reduce your all important slack.

Stand up with the unseated bead on top and push the rim into the floor a little away from you. Now begin to push the bead over the rim with your thumbs working in opposite directions towards the floor. The key point is to both squeeze the whole tyre into the middle of the rim well with your hands and stretch the tyre towards the ground as you go round. Once you get to the last bit you should be able to pop it over with your thumbs.

I'm not saying I could definitely do it and there is strength involved but the main reason for breaking tyre levers is that both beads are not in the centre of the rim well around the wheel and so there is a lot less slack. mellow.gif

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

+Quote Post
bodge
post Oct 22 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #3

I had lots of fun with Spesh Chunder tyres.

Get the 20" tube on and start mounting the tyre. When you get to the last bit that won't lever on, you need to fold the inner tube flap into the rim well to avoid trapping and pinching it. Lube it well with washing up liquid mixed with a little water brushed on to the rim and tyre, then use some metal tyre levers (sharp intake of breath from the back), very carefully, to get the last of the bead on.

Make sure that the bead is in the centre of the well, and repeat the levering on of the 2nd bead.

Then you have to pick out the 20" tube so it flaps over the rim (this is fiddly). Then inflate to seat the tyre, deflate after 20 mins, remove the valve core, add sealant and re-inflate.

Go ride.

--------------------
It's downhill all the way.....

+Quote Post
Chris M
post Oct 22 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #4

Thanks Gareth, appreciated.

I tried using just thumbs for over an hour yesterday and in the end, my nail was splitting my skin from the presssure and it was not even close to popping on!

I have actually managed to get it on now, although the tube is sliced in a few places from the pressure on the rim.

I'm fairly sure that the whole tyre is sitting in the middle of the rim, but it's still so tight that I can't seat it even using a petrol station forecourt compressor!

I'm going to take it to the LBS at the weekend and see if they have a higher capacity compressor (the garage one seems to have a very small resovoir) but if they don't, or it still won't seat, I shall have to look into maybe using Stans strips or something instead.

Do the Stans or Eclipse strips just seal the spokes and the centre of the rim or do they rely on the rim strip rising up and meeting the tyre on the edge of the rim (if that makes sense.)
What I'm thinknig is that as the tyres so tight, even with no innertube, if a tubeless system will just seal the centre of the rim and allow the tyre to seal against the bare rim then it shouldn't be a problem, hopefully? unsure.gif

BTW, it's a wire beaded tyre, I assume thaat it will work Ok and that ghetto is not for kevlar only?

Cheers

Chris smile.gif

Thanks Bodge, some of the tube did end up inside the tyre, it took literally an Hour of picking and pulling to get it back out!

Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough!

Cheers

Chris smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jarl
post Oct 22 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #5

Some tyre/tube combo's are just ridiculously tight.

What will you do if it goes tits up in the middle of nowhere? If the answer is what I think it is, then get a different tyre/rim.

--------------------
"Say something that you know they might attack you for"

+Quote Post
DrBike
post Oct 22 2009, 09:11 PM
Post #6

I recall that when Majid had a puncture on one of our Swinley rides we had a hell of a time getting his tyre on/off. He's got Bonty rims (dunno which ones) and some Bonty tubeless tyres.

I've a feeling that Bonty rims might be a touch wider in diameter than others.

--------------------
Dr Bike takes no responsibility for damaged limbs or failed relationships as the result of his advice.

Make something idiot proof, and someone somewhere will make a better idiot.

+Quote Post
cclinton
post Oct 23 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #7

Which model rim are you using?
Which size tire?

+Quote Post
torihada
post Oct 24 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #8

I couldn't get a set of Bonty Dry X tyres on to a set of Mavic rims; broke tyre levers, shredded the 20" inner etc etc. Then following advice here I lubed all the surfaces with soapy water and it slipped on with ease. Bonty tubeless beads are notoriously tight.

--------------------
There do appear to be some hills south of the Trent...
http://www.youtube.com/butahada

+Quote Post
Chris M
post Oct 25 2009, 02:08 PM
Post #9

Thanks all smile.gif

Solved it now by replacing the rim tape with a couple of turns of electrical tape.
It's still extremely tight but it's workable.

Cheers

Chris smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 10:53 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News