IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can changing bits on my bike reduce thumb and knee pain..., or do i just need to get down the garage and buy a can of Man Up?!
Madyear
post Feb 3 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Did a 15 mile ride on roads and tow paths other night to give the legs something to think about prior to some down hilling this weekend.
Woke up following morning and edge of my left knee cap felt very tender. As you look down its at about 7 o'clock.
Is that to do with angle of my foot on pedal? Got flats currently.
Also left thumb achy. Do different handle bars with different angles make grip easier? Might be i was just gripping too tight on my first 4hr XC ride. And maybe falling off a bit... whistling.gif
any thoughts?

--------------------
Kielder 100 2011
Mayhem 2011 for sure!
Merida Brass Monkeys series Nov - Jan 2010/11
50% Team Asparagus, D2D 2010 (pair)
Team Asparagus, Mountain Mayhem 2010 (four)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DrBike
post Feb 3 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #2

Make sure you
- have your saddle at the right height
- legs go up and down as vertically as possible (i.e that when you pedal your knees don't go out to the side)
- have your foot in the optimum position on the pedal

I used to get knee problems, then I switched to SPDs and I've never had a problem since BUT others have had the opposite experience.

--------------------
Dr Bike takes no responsibility for damaged limbs or failed relationships as the result of his advice.

Make something idiot proof, and someone somewhere will make a better idiot.

+Quote Post
captainfly
post Feb 4 2010, 04:04 AM
Post #3

I have damaged schophoids which give quite a bit of thumb pain and bars make a big difference. In fact it is the whole cockpit set up. Easiest fix is bar ends but they are too easy to catch or cause injury, I' found wide and high bars with a fair bit of sweep work best for me but it's a personal thing. As for the knee uses a lower gear and spin faster agree.gif

--------------------
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Mongoose Teocali
Giant STP0

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Feb 4 2010, 06:59 PM
Post #4

Group: Root Admin

Ergon do grips which have helped those with wrist pain (not sure about thumb pain) but just relaxing your grip is a great thing we should all do as much as possible and it may well help you. Pedaling wise folow the advice above about putting your saddle as high as you can without rocking from side to side. You may need to adjust your cleats if you use SPD's start with the cleat mounted centrally and in line with the slots and go from there. If you sit on the edge of a table and look at your feet and they point outwards you may want to turn the cleats slightly to mimic this whilst riding. You could try flats as well but it may just be that you haven't got used to the riding yet.

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

+Quote Post
bikerchick99
post Nov 5 2010, 09:10 AM
Post #5

I used to have considerable pain with my wrists and hand in general. sneaky.gif

I found this useful. It's a website that categorizes the pain, so you simply click on the area that hurts and advice is given.

Hope this helps!

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/pain.html

+Quote Post
Simo
post Feb 9 2012, 11:45 AM
Post #6

Old topic I know, sorry for bringing it back up but for anyone else who reads this. Might be worth knowing!

I had a little injury a few years ago with regards to a pain in my left knee (can be either knee)

Iliotibial band syndrome

Iliotibial Band Syndrome. (Wiki)

It's nothing serious, a few stretches each day with a bit of rest sorts it out
Iliotibial stretch video

Might be worth adding that into your stretching regime before riding. 3x15 seconds each knee alternating.

--------------------

+Quote Post
lazygit
post Mar 11 2012, 06:58 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Simo @ Feb 9 2012, 11:45 AM) *
Old topic I know, sorry for bringing it back up but for anyone else who reads this. Might be worth knowing!

I had a little injury a few years ago with regards to a pain in my left knee (can be either knee)

Iliotibial band syndrome

Iliotibial Band Syndrome. (Wiki)

It's nothing serious, a few stretches each day with a bit of rest sorts it out
Iliotibial stretch video

Might be worth adding that into your stretching regime before riding. 3x15 seconds each knee alternating.

+Quote Post
lazygit
post Mar 11 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Madyear @ Feb 3 2010, 10:13 PM) *
Did a 15 mile ride on roads and tow paths other night to give the legs something to think about prior to some down hilling this weekend.
Woke up following morning and edge of my left knee cap felt very tender. As you look down its at about 7 o'clock.
Is that to do with angle of my foot on pedal? Got flats currently.
Also left thumb achy. Do different handle bars with different angles make grip easier? Might be i was just gripping too tight on my first 4hr XC ride. And maybe falling off a bit... whistling.gif
any thoughts?

for the thumb try moving the position of your brake and gear levers ,it worked for me after a few rides and a few minor adjustments it got easier and i found the position of the brake lever was what was determining the width of my hands which moved the point of preasure on my hands i was going to get wider bars but moving the brake levers in did the trick .

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 04:18 AM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News