19 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> tunnel hill
Suren
post Feb 19 2012, 06:29 PM
Post #301

Group: Members

QUOTE(mbElf @ Feb 17 2012, 05:51 PM) *
Frith / Deepcut / Tunnel Hill Ride posted.

Sign up if you fancy it - it looks like its going to be fantastic days with glorious sunshine stupidlyhappy.gif

Great ride today chaps, I am knackered, have not had a ride like that since last summer! Till next time!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mbElf
post Feb 19 2012, 07:20 PM
Post #302

Great ride today, great weather and great company. my legs are gone man, they will need a day or two to recover.

Suren, i reckon the punture fix was pretty good - i bet mclaren would be impressed with that.

Will organise another in two weeks time.

cheers

Maj

+Quote Post
mbElf
post Mar 23 2012, 09:52 PM
Post #303

Ride posted for this Sunday... sign if you fancy it sun.gif

+Quote Post
deadkenny
post Mar 23 2012, 11:06 PM
Post #304

Surrey Hilling Sunday. Or at least attempting to find a place not swamped with the fair weather riders and walkers.

Could do with some more TH rides though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mbElf
post Mar 23 2012, 11:37 PM
Post #305

QUOTE(deadkenny @ Mar 23 2012, 11:06 PM) *
Surrey Hilling Sunday. Or at least attempting to find a place not swamped with the fair weather riders and walkers.

Could do with some more TH rides though.

Tim, give surrey hills a rest and come Frith hill... its going to be awesome in the dry!

+Quote Post
Shmikuk
post Mar 24 2012, 04:07 PM
Post #306

I know you guys are pretty sensible, but the mod are getting a bit concerned with the number of run ins on the mod land, so please be aware of the code of conduct advised by TAG.
Access for us all is at risk due to a few idiots.

http://trailactiongroup.co.uk/code-of-conduct/

+Quote Post
deadkenny
post Mar 24 2012, 08:16 PM
Post #307

Popularity of MTB is making things worse, as will be fine weather this week. More people know about TH of course with forums and GPS stuff (even if they're not supposed to be public).

When the Swinley parking charges kick in, I wonder how many will move to TH instead.

Anyway, I rarely see them. Very occasionally I turn a corner and spot them, and just veer off in another direction to avoid them. I've never done night rides there though. During the day just seems to be the cadets.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mbElf
post Mar 24 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #308

QUOTE(Shmikuk @ Mar 24 2012, 04:07 PM) *
I know you guys are pretty sensible, but the mod are getting a bit concerned with the number of run ins on the mod land, so please be aware of the code of conduct advised by TAG.
Access for us all is at risk due to a few idiots.

http://trailactiongroup.co.uk/code-of-conduct/

Thanks E. If the M.O.D stops riding there, it will be everyone loss. Some excellent trails around there. Having said that, the guys i ride with have been cycling there for more than 15 years and one of them is ex forces smile.gif

Thanks for link anyway, I think its good to remind people..

cheers

Maj

QUOTE(deadkenny @ Mar 24 2012, 08:16 PM) *
When the Swinley parking charges kick in, I wonder how many will move to TH instead.

What parking charges?

+Quote Post
ken
post Mar 24 2012, 10:05 PM
Post #309

am in

+Quote Post
deadkenny
post Mar 25 2012, 12:21 AM
Post #310

QUOTE(mbElf @ Mar 24 2012, 08:22 PM) *
What parking charges?

There have been people doing surveys round the Look Out car park asking what people would be prepared to pay if they introduced parking, and apparently now notices have gone up about planning permission to put in payment machines. As I understand it, that part is leased out by the council so I guess they've seen how busy it gets and want money out of it. Don't think the money will end up going towards maintenance of the forest or trails so that means permit on top (the survey people seemed to indicate the permit was entirely separate).

Just means I park the Bagshot side and ride in from there. I could technically ride there from Woking! Riding to Tunnel Hill isn't so far, so up to Frith and bit further and nearly there. Long ride though.

They were suggesting charges by the hour. Depends how much a half day or day would cost, and what about outside of day hours? Anything more than what a Welsh trail centre charges (typical zero to couple of quid for a day) is a rip off, but with the permit on top I'm not paying for it whatever.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BigGrin
post Mar 28 2012, 12:03 PM
Post #311

QUOTE(deadkenny @ Mar 24 2012, 08:16 PM) *
Anyway, I rarely see them. Very occasionally I turn a corner and spot them, and just veer off in another direction to avoid them. I've never done night rides there though. During the day just seems to be the cadets.

I saw group of about 20 last Friday at Frith Hill (adult soldiers not cadets) and rode just behind them down some singletrack. I smiled and nodded and the NCO smiled back and said "alright mate". Never had any problems in the 25+ years I've been there, but then I've never gone in a group of more than two people.

In fact the only time I've ever been moaned at by army personnel was on a BOAT whilst on a motorbike. That's public land, not MOD.

--------------------
rgds

BigGrin :-D

+Quote Post
mbElf
post Apr 4 2012, 04:32 PM
Post #312

Ride added for this sunday if anyone is interested!

+Quote Post
Suren
post Apr 4 2012, 05:22 PM
Post #313

QUOTE(mbElf @ Apr 4 2012, 05:32 PM) *
Ride added for this sunday if anyone is interested!

cant you go on monday?! I have a wedding to go to on sunday!

+Quote Post
mbElf
post Apr 4 2012, 05:29 PM
Post #314

QUOTE(Suren @ Apr 4 2012, 06:22 PM) *
cant you go on monday?! I have a wedding to go to on sunday!

Its Rupe and Tims normal ride.... rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
anjs
post Apr 5 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #315

Good Luck, hope you still have your bike at the end of the ride

+Quote Post
mbElf
post Apr 5 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #316

QUOTE(anjs @ Apr 5 2012, 12:48 PM) *
Good Luck, hope you still have your bike at the end of the ride

Are you going to mug me or something? smile.gif Is riding banned on mod land? perhaps you or one of the trolls can enlighten before i lose my bike.

... got an update from a friendly troll ... guess no riding in tunnel hill for a while

+Quote Post
anjs
post Apr 5 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #317

MOD are now meant to be strictly enforcing the Bylaws. These only allow you to ride on the main tracks not any of the singletrack. Bylaws state the MOD can take your bike if caught

+Quote Post
deadkenny
post Apr 5 2012, 01:28 PM
Post #318

The wording from the trolls is "The MoD and Police are about to start a patrolling project to stop and inform anyone who is not abiding by the bylaws which govern the use of the land we ride on".

Yes the bylaws state this and that, but I think there's a bit of overreaction going on and it's more likely the MOD are going to take a more active roll in just telling people where they should and shouldn't ride to start with. If someone stopped tells them to go stick it then aside from getting a gun in their face, they deserve to have their bike nicked, but most cases I'd think they'd just want to have a word as not enough people know what the rules are.

I'm also wondering if the "stick to the bylaw" bit is an interpretation. Every indication so far, including their "polite" notice has been they're allowing bikes on the land, just keep out of their way, stick to established trails (to me doesn't just mean fireroads), and don't dig trails.

If that really has changed, then does sound like despite the polite notice they've had enough and are essentially banning bikes from the place (as no one wants to ride round the fireroads all day wink.gif).

When the masses from Swinley head that way in protest to parking charges, maybe they'll start shooting at them biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ken
post Apr 5 2012, 03:53 PM
Post #319

crap! that was one of my favourites ...

but we heard this even before, but still was ok to ride, I believe Rupert would know in more details Maj

+Quote Post
Stan Leigh
post Apr 5 2012, 04:46 PM
Post #320

If I could just add my bit .

There's a lot of speculation / rumours / confusion about at the moment . As mentioned the MOD are supposed to be clamping down on MTBers riding willy nilly all through their training exercisers.

We are all hoping a fair resolution / compromise can be found . There are people working on this quietly. If we could just stay away for the time being , it would look good on us .

Please don't antagonise the powers that be right now , we don't want to loose access to all these wonderful trails for ever do we ?

Thanks , Stan

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 11:53 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News