Reply to this topicStart new topic
> tunnel hill
mbElf
post Jul 11 2010, 08:07 PM
Post #41

Group: Members

QUOTE(marcliam @ Jul 11 2010, 04:34 PM) *
ooohh...tell more?!?

Well, since you ask. I was trying to keep up with Dave, and there was this big steep bomb hole / downhill bit with a mound / ramp which i was intending to roll over. I flew down the bomb hole which was great fun and then as i went over the small ramp / mound i suddenly realised both my wheels were off the ground. I then had a kind of matrix moment where everything was on pause. Several thoughts came into my head

1) Crap i am in the air.
2) You can't jump.
3) The bike is not straight.
4) This is going to really hurt.
5) I have not got the wardens number.
6) Crap there is no warden. You're not in Swinley.
7) There are 15 others - this is going to be embarrassing.
8) Perhaps I should unclip and let go of the bike.
9) Hang on you have full susser - that compensates for your riding mistakes
10) There are some ferns - its going to be spongy - break fall like in karate.
11) ET
12) Please god forgive for all my sins...

I landed with the front wheel, and then the back wheel, the back wheel bounced back up and then i kind of rolled around a bit and smacked into a bank. Lucky i was way ahead of the others so they did not see me apart from dave i think. Anyway I got up, said yeah no problem and then when he was not looking rolled around for bit on the ground. I later nursed my scratch with a plaster.

It was a really good ride though and i even bumped into an old friend who tagged along for a bit. Marc, you will love this area - you have got to give it a try this summer. Anyway, any chance of you doing surrey hills again sometime soon?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Vespa1871
post Jul 11 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #42

Dave thanks for leading this morning and good to meet so many new faces. Really enjoyed it and i'll be back for more.

so tired now though...

Cotic Brian

+Quote Post
marcliam
post Jul 12 2010, 05:29 AM
Post #43

QUOTE(mbElf @ Jul 11 2010, 09:07 PM) *
I then had a kind of matrix moment where everything was on pause.

LOL I know this feeling well!

Anyway, any chance of you doing surrey hills again sometime soon?

Will do.

--------------------
WD40 is for spraying onto things that you think you should be performing some kind of maintenance on but have no clue where to start or what to do.

+Quote Post
ParkerMan
post Jul 12 2010, 08:34 AM
Post #44

Well, since you ask .......

LMFAO - best description of an off, ever. I just remember congratulating you for getting the big air, whilst you were in the air, turning around, then hearing a smash, turning back around and seeing you on the ground.

You even put a plaster on with no-one seeing, brilliant work Maj.

I really enjoyed Sunday. We had a few offs (I counted 5) - Ian may have a blackish eye but other than that only minor scuffs and we only lost a couple of people off the back of the pack twice (but found after a few manic phone calls).

'Till next time.

+Quote Post
Kerr
post Jul 12 2010, 08:43 AM
Post #45

QUOTE(ParkerMan @ Jul 12 2010, 09:34 AM) *
LMFAO - best description of an off, ever. I just remember congratulating you for getting the big air, whilst you were in the air, turning around, then hearing a smash, turning back around and seeing you on the ground.

You even put a plaster on with no-one seeing, brilliant work Maj.

I really enjoyed Sunday. We had a few offs (I counted 5) - Ian may have a blackish eye but other than that only minor scuffs and we only lost a couple of people off the back of the pack twice (but found after a few manic phone calls).

'Till next time.

Looks like you guys had a great time. Sorry I didnt turn up. Had awful nights sleep and was waking dead in the morning.
Would have been a liability.

Kerr

+Quote Post
planetc
post Jul 12 2010, 09:04 AM
Post #46

.....when he was not looking rolled around for bit on the ground. I later nursed my scratch with a plaster.

nearly choked on my coffee reading that, lol

+Quote Post
mbElf
post Jul 12 2010, 07:56 PM
Post #47

Does anyone have a gps / route for the ride we did on sunday. Just wondering how much we did and how fast we were going. think.gif

+Quote Post
Will Hart
post Jul 12 2010, 08:16 PM
Post #48

I would just like to say thanks to Dave and the other guys who shephearded us round on Sunday Morning. I loved the ride and had a great laugh with everybody in the group. It was a lot of fun to ride in such a big group and I would love to do it again some time.

I too had an embarassing "over the handlebars" moment going down the big desent in "Pants Way Down". banghead.gif If you don't crash at least one then yor not trying hard enough I say.

We travelled up from Portsmouth to enjoy some better riding terrain as unfortunately we don't really have any great riding spots down here. The only half decent spot is QECP and that really doesn't require a guide as the loops are short and well signed, however if anybody would like to come down for a ride, Whakka and I would be glad to host another forum ride. The course is quite intense with technical steep climbs and fast downhill runs, but it does not have the variety or quality of the Pirbright area.

We are also planning to do a weekend in Wales, possibly Afan, at some point. Might be fun to get a big group of riders together for that, for the social side as much as anything. We could split into fast and slower groups for the riding then all meet up in the pub after!

Hope to see you all again soon.

Cheers,

Will. rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(mbElf @ Jul 12 2010, 08:56 PM) *
Does anyone have a gps / route for the ride we did on sunday. Just wondering how much we did and how fast we were going. think.gif

Not as far as you might think. We stopped a lot and the terrain keeps the avg speed down. I would guess at a moving avg of about 8-9mph. But with the stops I bet it was about 15 miles tops.

In the race the previous week I did 40miles in 5 hrs with no stops. The pace on Sunday was about the same for me, maybe a bit quicker at times.

This is just guess work so I am happy to be corrected!

+Quote Post
ParkerMan
post Jul 13 2010, 07:00 AM
Post #49

QUOTE(Will Hart @ Jul 12 2010, 09:16 PM) *
We are also planning to do a weekend in Wales, possibly Afan, at some point. Might be fun to get a big group of riders together for that, for the social side as much as anything.

A few of us are off to Wales over the weekend of 31st July / 1st August. We are doing Brechfa on the Saturday, then driving down to the Afan area, stopping over and riding W2 on the Sunday. Maj and a couple of others are planning on coming down to meet us on the Sunday as well - 7ish in for Sundays ride so far.

You're more than welcome to join us (and anyone else) if this works for you.

+Quote Post
Warren
post Jul 13 2010, 07:22 AM
Post #50

Off to Afan next weekend but may looK at coming back up for the Sunday to meet you guys. Keep us posted

+Quote Post
Suren
post Jul 13 2010, 08:18 AM
Post #51

Hey, I'm interested in this too.... Where are you guys staying? Anyone traveling over on the friday? For a early saturday start? I finish work at midday on friday..... Keep me posted...

+Quote Post
Will Hart
post Jul 13 2010, 04:56 PM
Post #52

QUOTE(ParkerMan @ Jul 13 2010, 08:00 AM) *
A few of us are off to Wales over the weekend of 31st July / 1st August. We are doing Brechfa on the Saturday, then driving down to the Afan area, stopping over and riding W2 on the Sunday. Maj and a couple of others are planning on coming down to meet us on the Sunday as well - 7ish in for Sundays ride so far.

You're more than welcome to join us (and anyone else) if this works for you.

Really wish I could go but I have a crazy month this month so probably won't make it. Thanks for the offer though.

I will try to sort out a date when Whakka and I will be going and will then post it with plenty of notice for anybody who would like to go too.

Have a great trip at the end of the month, and please let us know how it goes and what routes are good etc.

Cheers,

Will.

+Quote Post
marcliam
post Jul 13 2010, 06:54 PM
Post #53

QUOTE(Will Hart @ Jul 13 2010, 05:56 PM) *
Really wish I could go.....

Took the words right out of my mouth smile.gif

--------------------
WD40 is for spraying onto things that you think you should be performing some kind of maintenance on but have no clue where to start or what to do.

+Quote Post
sandy hill
post Jul 13 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #54

Is anyone riding Tunnel Hill this coming Sunday morning?

+Quote Post
mbElf
post Jul 13 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #55

QUOTE(sandy hill @ Jul 13 2010, 10:02 PM) *
Is anyone riding Tunnel Hill this coming Sunday morning?

I would like to but not sure what Dave is up to this weekend smile.gif I would'nt have a clue where to go on my own and you need local knowledge when cycling there otherwise it could be dangerous. I might do Swinley if there is'nt a tunnel hill ride. If fancy doing Swinley on a sunday you would be more than welcome to tag along.

+Quote Post
sandy hill
post Jul 17 2010, 01:57 PM
Post #56

QUOTE(mbElf @ Jul 13 2010, 11:09 PM) *
I would like to but not sure what Dave is up to this weekend smile.gif I would'nt have a clue where to go on my own and you need local knowledge when cycling there otherwise it could be dangerous. I might do Swinley if there is'nt a tunnel hill ride. If fancy doing Swinley on a sunday you would be more than welcome to tag along.

Still not sure where to ride tomorrow but I do fancy meeting some new faces. So 830 start but where is everyone riding? No one seems to have posted up a ride for tomorrow in either Swinley or Tunnel Hill. Or happy to lead something around Ceasars or the AYTE course. ANyone got some ideas?

+Quote Post
ParkerMan
post Jul 17 2010, 06:23 PM
Post #57

QUOTE(sandy hill @ Jul 17 2010, 02:57 PM) *
Still not sure where to ride tomorrow but I do fancy meeting some new faces. So 830 start but where is everyone riding? No one seems to have posted up a ride for tomorrow in either Swinley or Tunnel Hill. Or happy to lead something around Ceasars or the AYTE course. ANyone got some ideas?

Sandy, I wont be hitting TH this Sunday, unusual for me. I'm then away for the next two, one of which is in Wales - see other post in this thread. Sorry. Maybe we'll be able to sort something out when I get back.

+Quote Post
Warren
post Jul 28 2010, 04:09 PM
Post #58

Any further update on Wales??

+Quote Post
mbElf
post Jul 28 2010, 05:37 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(Warren @ Jul 28 2010, 05:09 PM) *

Warren - we are heading off early Sunday morning and coming back late. If you fancy tagging along you would be more than welcome - i am sure Dave won't mind. ping me if you fancy it.

Maj

+Quote Post
ParkerMan
post Jul 28 2010, 05:40 PM
Post #60

QUOTE(Warren @ Jul 28 2010, 05:09 PM) *

Sorry, meaning to post something up for a while. The plan so far is for everyone to meet up at Afan on Sunday @ 9ish to ride as close to 10.00 as poss. Riding the W2. Meeting at the visitors centre - SA13 3HG (no logic why here, just whats been organised) and stopping half way round for a quick fuel stop.

At the moment there looks like there are 10+ riding, so is looking good.

If anyone else is coming may be an idea to pm me so we know who to look out / wait for.

Cheers
David

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 09:47 AM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News