IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Getting better...slowly
planetc
post Jul 4 2010, 03:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Well, it's been 3 weeks or so since venturing back into the world of self propelled transport and damn it feels good! I've been riding with Jess, my 8 year old which has obviously limited the amount of effort I have had to give it but it means we have gently built the distances and speeds without overcooking it. Her confidence and ability has grown along with mine, and my recovery time is getting less and less. I'm finding I want to go out again an hour after coming home now!
We have been working on largely flat routes building up our stamina, venturing further from home bit by bit. Last weekend we rode from Lydd to Camber, had an hour on the beach with mummy and auntie and then rode back. My brother in law tagged along on his first ride in a good few years and was in a bit of a state with his backside, pmsl. Personally I think his problems was as much the fact that the bike is too bloody small for him as the fact that his saddle loosely resembles a housebrick in both shape and texture! I am finding that my rear hurts a little after a while. I suffer with coccyx pain and as a result find I'm hanging off the back to ease it. It has improved over the weeks so I'll give it a few more before I consider changing my saddle. Jess is finding her palms tingle after a few miles, but I have got her a new, larger bike for her birthday in a week or so and will play with her set up after that.
I have been lurking on the forums reading lots of stuff and I really fancy having a crack at some trails with some of the guys on here at some stage when I have built my fitness up enough, I guess the nearest to here would be Surrey Hills? But then it's gonna make me want a better bike isn't it so I have to prove it's worth to the missus first, lol.
Regards all, and thanks for the inspiration!
Paul.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris M
post Jul 4 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #2

Well done Paul, keep up the good work agree.gif

Re saddles, it's obviously impossible to recommend a good one as everyones rear end is different. But, saying that, this is a highly rated one and is also the one I use on my commuter bike.
Excellent value, and worth a punt for the cash if you can't get on with your existing one.

Enjoy you biking agree.gif

Chris smile.gif

--------------------
Racing snakes, its not big and its not clever !!!

+Quote Post
planetc
post Jul 12 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #3

....thanks for the recommendation Chris, will see how it goes.

Had a little play while it was quiet along the promenade this evening, some practice moving my weight around, getting the front wheel up etc. Fancied a crack at dropping off a section of wall, I thought it looked easy enough and would have handled it easily as a kid. I kept the front up as I left the wall but guess I transfered a little too hard to the rear. The back end dropped faster than anticipated and the pedals left me, the bike landed pretty much as intended, however, I was no longer on it, lol. Had quick look around to see if anyone saw me, it would appear not so just my own confidence knocked. I might just have to go back and have another crack at a similar time of day when I can be sure nobody is looking.

+Quote Post
bikerchick99
post Nov 4 2010, 11:26 AM
Post #4

Hi planetc,

just wanted to contribute and say that I think it's great that you have been out and about with your daughter

I think it's great when parents have common hobbies with their children. Keep it up!

That's all really rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
planetc
post Nov 4 2010, 11:14 PM
Post #5

Thanks for the vote of confidence. We have persisted with our new hobby as time allows and try to get out at least once a week. I like the rough stuff, she likes riding on the smooth stuff but we agree to do a bit of both, can't believe I have to compromise with an 8 year old, lol!
Had a good run out this Monday as she had an inset day from school, exploring some of the bridleways locally that we hadn't yet ridden, probably the most off road we have done so far. We lost the path, fought our way through thorn bushes, and got thoroughly covered in mud. It took us three hours to cover 6 miles because she kept stopping for a breather but we came home smiling after a chocolate bar in the petrol station we passed on the way back. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
bikerchick99
post Nov 5 2010, 08:26 AM
Post #6

That sounds like a blissful, perfect day....

It's all about the Yin and Yang, first work, followed by a treat! Excellent stupidlyhappy.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 04:36 AM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News