Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Surrey Hills
deadkenny
post Apr 15 2012, 10:14 AM
Post #121

Group: Members

Haven't seen the note. Usually they just have a rant if I try to park there. Though fair given the parking by the church is private land. They say it's for church parking but there are usually spaces on a Sunday and they've got bucket loads of parking just up the hill (they hate you parking there too). Used to try parking in the streets and got people ranting about parking outside their house. Sadly they're living up to their snooty image from that C4 documentary! wink.gif

Will have to check out parking further towards Dorking but think you're basically getting into Dorking by then. Though I know of a good little spot in Dorking near Head for the Hills which is a good base to head up to either Box or Ranmore (as is Westcott though).

Leith - can park by High Ashes farm. Or round by Coldharbour but not many spaces round there. Further round is good for Redlands but we're not welcome there any more sad.gif

All that said, ending at Westcott is a fun descent.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mbElf
post Apr 15 2012, 09:49 PM
Post #122

Great weather today although the wind had a bite to it.

There were working on Barry Knows Best which was completely closed off

+Quote Post
marcliam
post Apr 16 2012, 05:52 AM
Post #123

QUOTE(deadkenny @ Apr 15 2012, 11:14 AM) *
Haven't seen the note. Usually they just have a rant if I try to park there. Though fair given the parking by the church is private land. They say it's for church parking but there are usually spaces on a Sunday and they've got bucket loads of parking just up the hill (they hate you parking there too). Used to try parking in the streets and got people ranting about parking outside their house. Sadly they're living up to their snooty image from that C4 documentary! wink.gif

disgusted.gif

--------------------
WD40 is for spraying onto things that you think you should be performing some kind of maintenance on but have no clue where to start or what to do.

+Quote Post
Jambalaya
post Apr 16 2012, 08:12 AM
Post #124

I got the note (2 pages, full colour smile.gif ) on a Wednesday afternoon, the village road was virtually deserted and I'd parked considerately choosing widest part of road, not blocking driveways etc. Simon at Nirvana says the guy who puts the notes out has his own off street parking he simply doesn't like all the bikers "clogging" the village at the weekend. I strongly suspect the villagers wouldn't want to convert to controlled residents parking as they'd have to pay for permits then. I'm more than happy to put my point of view to any residents (parking legally on a public road my taxes help pay for ...) in fact I knocked on a few doors to try and find who did it, got no replies.

+Quote Post
ken
post Apr 16 2012, 09:13 AM
Post #125

I think the best is to use a little car park just before the village on the Guildford road on the left if you are driving from Dorking.

+Quote Post
deadkenny
post Apr 16 2012, 10:19 AM
Post #126

Looking at that photo with the high vis jackets, makes me think the work is forestry, not trail maintenance. Usually don't have a big digger for the trail fairies, though they have done back when it was redone and they got the money to pay for it.

If they are fixing it, the hope is the bottom berms are being redone. Whilst they're at it they should put some signs up "no braking!" wink.gif

At worst though, after the air ambulance incident recently, there may be some sanitisation going on sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jambalaya
post Apr 16 2012, 12:23 PM
Post #127

You know what, it's a sunny day, it's an excuse for a drive, I think I'll go and take a look

+Quote Post
Suren
post Apr 16 2012, 12:35 PM
Post #128

QUOTE(Jambalaya @ Apr 16 2012, 01:23 PM) *
You know what, it's a sunny day, it's an excuse for a drive, I think I'll go and take a look

Lucky sod, i'm stuck in a office. Looks like perfect riding conditions.

+Quote Post
mbElf
post Apr 16 2012, 12:37 PM
Post #129

QUOTE(deadkenny @ Apr 16 2012, 11:19 AM) *
Looking at that photo with the high vis jackets, makes me think the work is forestry, not trail maintenance. Usually don't have a big digger for the trail fairies, though they have done back when it was redone and they got the money to pay for it.

If they are fixing it, the hope is the bottom berms are being redone. Whilst they're at it they should put some signs up "no braking!" wink.gif

At worst though, after the air ambulance incident recently, there may be some sanitisation going on sad.gif

Nope, it is trails that are changing. The digger belongs to the guy who is doing the digging - he is a mountain biker and donated his time and his digger for the day. They are going to fix the berms and the bumps.. I was talking to a guy called pablo who was kind enough to inform me of whats going on.. looking forward to it when it reopens.

+Quote Post
deadkenny
post Apr 16 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #130

Cool smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jambalaya
post Apr 16 2012, 04:24 PM
Post #131

Certainly looks like trail works, they seem to cutting a new higher straighter line. This section is towards top of the trail, I didn't walk the whole thing just the area near the Radnor Road Car park so I don't know if they've started any works with the berms. See photo below, the logs which have been laid out next to the existing trail are just before the cleared line, perhaps they will edge the trail to stop it creeping downhill. Looking at the photos again there is a pile of stones which didn't get there themselves ! Richard from AllBikedUp and the pedalandspoke van were about also.

Any thoughts ?

Attached File  BKB_1.JPG ( 616.95k ) Number of downloads: 15
Attached File  BKB_2.JPG ( 598.23k ) Number of downloads: 12

+Quote Post
marcliam
post Apr 16 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #132

QUOTE(Jambalaya @ Apr 16 2012, 09:12 AM) *
I got the note (2 pages, full colour smile.gif ) on a Wednesday afternoon, the village road was virtually deserted and I'd parked considerately choosing widest part of road, not blocking driveways etc. Simon at Nirvana says the guy who puts the notes out has his own off street parking he simply doesn't like all the bikers "clogging" the village at the weekend. I strongly suspect the villagers wouldn't want to convert to controlled residents parking as they'd have to pay for permits then. I'm more than happy to put my point of view to any residents (parking legally on a public road my taxes help pay for ...) in fact I knocked on a few doors to try and find who did it, got no replies.

I lived in Westcott until recently and yes even as a mtb'er parking could be a right pain in the arse (no offroad parking, well....except the garage but that had the bikes in it!!! Yes mtb'ers increase the problem but it's not the only reason for the problems.

QUOTE(deadkenny @ Apr 16 2012, 11:19 AM) *

Yep, Maj has it! it is planned maintenance to the trails by the Hurtwood Trails Volunteers who have recently re-established following successes of a year or so back (and to respond to the increase in popularity of the area).

See hurtwoodtrails.co.uk for more info plus I think there is a twitter thingie + Facebook group so you can keep up to date with dig days, closures, etc.

--------------------
WD40 is for spraying onto things that you think you should be performing some kind of maintenance on but have no clue where to start or what to do.

+Quote Post
deadkenny
post Apr 16 2012, 08:53 PM
Post #133

I follow the Hurtwood stuff but tend to miss things in my feeds. Notice they did say about the planned work though and sure I did read that but glossed over it biggrin.gif. I knew that it was due to be closed though.

Also a member of the Friends, though they don't tend to update often. There was something about a local meeting coming up and encouragement for the MTB community to turn up (Friends of Hurtwood tends to be balanced towards the walkers and the local community).

Of further interest, away from the tourist trails, there's been some work on a few trails Pitch and Winterfold way, with the trail fairies out with the shovels when I went past the other week.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mbElf
post Apr 16 2012, 09:28 PM
Post #134

QUOTE(marcliam @ Apr 16 2012, 08:25 PM) *
I lived in Westcott until recently and yes even as a mtb'er parking could be a right pain in the arse (no offroad parking, well....except the garage but that had the bikes in it!!! Yes mtb'ers increase the problem but it's not the only reason for the problems.
Yep, Maj has it! it is planned maintenance to the trails by the Hurtwood Trails Volunteers who have recently re-established following successes of a year or so back (and to respond to the increase in popularity of the area).

See hurtwoodtrails.co.uk for more info plus I think there is a twitter thingie + Facebook group so you can keep up to date with dig days, closures, etc.

Marc, we did surrey hills on sunday... was not quite the same when we did it with you couple of years back. I mentioned to Ken that we will ask you to do a loop (Ken loves the place) but but i know you are really busy and don't have time for it whistling.gif

+Quote Post
marcliam
post Apr 17 2012, 05:25 AM
Post #135

QUOTE(deadkenny @ Apr 16 2012, 09:53 PM) *
Also a member of the Friends, though they don't tend to update often. There was something about a local meeting coming up and encouragement for the MTB community to turn up (Friends of Hurtwood tends to be balanced towards the walkers and the local community).

Yep, AGM is coming up I believe. Went a few years back, bit of an eye opener in many ways.

QUOTE(mbElf @ Apr 16 2012, 10:28 PM) *
Marc, we did surrey hills on sunday... was not quite the same when we did it with you couple of years back. I mentioned to Ken that we will ask you to do a loop (Ken loves the place) but but i know you are really busy and don't have time for it whistling.gif

Good for you! I need to get back on it that's for sure. Really miss getting out with you guys. I'll be back (one day).

--------------------

+Quote Post
deadkenny
post Apr 18 2012, 01:43 PM
Post #136

Little video from Hurtwood Trails - http://youtu.be/T3PU0xxG3F8

--------------------

+Quote Post
mbElf
post Apr 20 2012, 03:54 PM
Post #137

Whats surrey hills like in the wet?

Thinking of doing some exploring this sunday (was planning on doing Cannock) .. ken rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
deadkenny
post Apr 20 2012, 06:28 PM
Post #138

Muddy wink.gif

But generally rideable smile.gif

The main Winterfold, Pitch, Holmbury & Leith hills are rideable soil, though I find Leith gets more swamp like down the lane from Summer Lightning.

Not sandy like Swinley so not claggy mud. Tricky bits are any of the DH off Pitch & Winterfold. Not really rideable in mud though it's fun sliding down them! biggrin.gif

Should find BKB drains well, Yog Pots is so named after the Yoghurty mud that develops there apparently. Most the trails usually drain okay, just the corners of some heavy traffic bits get a bit boggy.

Just don't go over to Ranmore. Clay over there = lethal! Likewise Redlands is just too much of a swamp in the wet, but we're not allowed there any more anyway (supposedly wink.gif ).

Will see what I feel like this weekend. Down with some weird thing at the moment but would like to get out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
marcliam
post Apr 20 2012, 11:15 PM
Post #139

Definitely agree with deadkenny above. All pretty rideable. Pitch probably suffers more than Holmbury (IMHO) but after a good long downpour and Xmas pud gets very waterlogged/puddly.

The original yog pots was more up and done because you actually rode through the middle of the 'Pots' before the 'wall' rides where cut in. As far as I can remember when they were being done the original idea was to have the option of either through the pot or round the wall but it has developed into wall only. The pots used to be filled with stagnant 'oribble old muddy water.

PS good to catch up with you earlier Maj.

--------------------

+Quote Post
deadkenny
post Apr 21 2012, 12:55 PM
Post #140

Should be up for a Surrey Hills ride tomorrow. Met office saying light rain for the afternoon. Not sure on arrangements on the BR side. Nothing agreed yet and not sure who's about. Weather is putting people off this weekend.

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2014 - 04:17 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News