IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First time round Llandegla
Joe_90
post Jun 20 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

On saturday I went round Llandegla for the first time. I was by myself and only been riding for a few weeks so only took on the blue run.

The hill was a killer, but I made it up without stopping. Wanted to take photos on my way round though (I can't upload them to the gallery) so stopped at the bottom and again at the top to snap a few.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markwalker/58.../in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markwalker/58...in/photostream/

Getting on to the down hill section was great fun - I didn't really know what to expect and perhaps used my brakes once or twice when I couldn't see the drop on the other side, but loved it none the less!
There were a few moments when I doubted the brakes though - I've had the bike a few weeks & the brake cables need tightening (taking it to Evan's for a service on friday!) which added to the excitement!

Hopefully if the weather isn't too bad I'll head back this Saturday and take on the red route, can't wait! biggrin.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rod
post Jun 20 2011, 09:12 PM
Post #2

Nice to see you made it and the bike made it too! agree.gif

What the hell is that camera / lens your using? Seems to be a mad wide angled afair <28mm?

Rod

--------------------
Every Silver Lining Has a Cloud!

Don't trust government (I'm bitter and twisted over the CROW & NERC BILL)
(Mountain biking will be next incidentally)

NO, you're OK, I insist YOU go first. ...
Told you it couldn't be done!

+Quote Post
Tony F
post Jun 20 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #3

Nice one!! That's a great feeling that - taking on something and realising that you can do it. Well done on beating the inital climb, and there should be nothing on the red that you should fear as long as you take it steady. Anything you don't fancy just take a good look at it first, and if necessary, then walk it. The main thing is to enjoy it whilst developing your skills, not to kill yourself.

T agree.gif ny

--------------------
Q: How does he stay upright at that speed?
A: He doesn't. Well not always. And the consequences have been horrendous!

+Quote Post
Rod
post Jun 21 2011, 06:14 AM
Post #4

Oh and if it's a nice day take your time and do the black... it's all rollable except the last bit going in to the free-ride area and down to the cafe and you'll get more grins per-mile. It's quite a slog back up the hill though... TAXI! biggrin.gif

Rod

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joe_90
post Jun 21 2011, 06:44 AM
Post #5

The camera is my little Canon S90 - http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=ch...q=PowerShot+S90

Just a few shots stitched together.

As for the black run - that might be a bit adventurous just yet. Maybe the week after!!

+Quote Post
martyn748
post Jun 21 2011, 01:01 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Rod @ Jun 21 2011, 07:14 AM) *
Oh and if it's a nice day take your time and do the black... it's all rollable except the last bit going in to the free-ride area and down to the cafe

That was the last time I rode my bike. sad.gif still not ridden since stretcher.gif

But what an excelant track the black is. Got some great cam footage, Loved Jims jumps and Parallel universe. Would love to do it all again but will be oviding the free ride run. icon_redface.gif

+Quote Post
Joe_90
post Jun 21 2011, 06:50 PM
Post #7

I've been watching videos from the black and red routes.

In the video of the red route the guy said he likes to do that route as its good fun, then head back up the forest road and do the black run.

Looking around for specific sections using the names off the map now.

Big Jim's doesn't look too difficult, nice & quick! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC_pzKZWwZ8

That sounds like a pretty good way to get warmed up & used to things again, then get some of that awesome food & head up for the bigger challenge!

Hope the weather is good!

Think I'll pick up a season pass whilst I'm there as well - 50 for the year is better than 3.50 every time I go!!

+Quote Post
Rod
post Jun 21 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #8

Is it back to 50 now? unsure.gif

That vid is of where I started our little time trial. 3.40 is a reasonable time but search the general forum for black run times.

It is reasonable and not too difficult to ride but if you up the pace the risk of pain goes up expedentially. One run at 3.30 might seem easy but knocking 10 secs off that opens up a whole new door to a world of hurt! If you ride the black take your time, you can very nearly do it all without pedaling if you hold some speed through the bends. Also taking your time gives a chance to find / try different lines.

Rod

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joe_90
post Jun 22 2011, 06:43 AM
Post #9

Yeah I emailed them yesterday and they said it was 50. Probably worth it though.

And don't worry - not a chance in hell I'll be taking it too quick! I'll try and roll through the red with a bit more speed, but knowing I'm on the black would certainly make me take care (and probably get in people's way!!)

The weather is looking pretty good as well!
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayfor...203AA&day=3

By the way - how do we upload to the gallery? I wanted to put my panoramic's on there.

+Quote Post
Joe_90
post Jun 26 2011, 09:59 PM
Post #10

I did the black routes (apart from the first and last jump sections) yesterday.

It was great fun! The downhill was great, apart from that banked turn into the rocky section as it was really wet so I walked the first section with the slight drop.
There were a couple of decent guys who I tried my best to follow through each section. Its my third visit there but I love the place already!

I also walked up some of the hills as I could not be arsed with the hill climbs as I seem to spend more time keeping the front wheel down or just simply have it fly up and then you're in a position where you can't ride again without that happening again.

Anyway, I bought my car park pass and some friends have just said they'd quite like to ride it next weekend. So looks like i'll be guiding them round!!

+Quote Post
Hazey
post Jul 6 2011, 06:12 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Joe_90 @ Jun 26 2011, 10:59 PM) *
I also walked up some of the hills as I could not be arsed with the hill climbs as I seem to spend more time keeping the front wheel down

Glad you like it, my local trail as im in wrexham and dont use it enough probably due to 3.50 every time, may buy a season ticket like yourself!

With regards steep hills, slide forward onto the nose of the saddle and drop your wrists below the grips, works for evrything bar really really steep stuff tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 11:49 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News