Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tyre pressures
funkyg
post Sep 26 2011, 11:56 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

Hey!
Total newb here.
I've had my GT Avalanche for about a year, but have been using mainly on the road with road tyres or through the local woods.

Decided to chuck my chunky tyres on and have a go off road.
Anyway I've been up Rivington the last couple of weekends to try some real montain biking, what a difference!
Last week was a real eye opener. Killed me getting up to the Pike , nearly coughed my lungs out!
Anyway on the way back down my arms were nearly shaken off, felt like I'd been on a pneumatic drill.
My tyres say 40-65 psi, probably were on about 50. This week I dropped it down to 40, but was still pretty rough coming down. Should I try them even softer?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Sep 26 2011, 01:23 PM
Post #2

Group: Root Admin

No. innocent.gif Well actually it's nowhere near as simple as that. You can try lowering the pressure but at some point you will either bottom out the tyre on a step and pinch puncture or find the tyre rolls around on the rim during cornering. Try relaxing more especially your grip and shoulders and a suspension upgrade wouldn't go amiss. Alternatively larger tyres may allow you to run a lower pressure and get away with it but a larger tyre may need a wider rim and of course your fork/frame need clearance too.

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

+Quote Post
funkyg
post Sep 27 2011, 12:02 AM
Post #3

Group: Members

QUOTE(Gareth @ Sep 26 2011, 02:23 PM) *
No. innocent.gif Well actually it's nowhere near as simple as that. You can try lowering the pressure but at some point you will either bottom out the tyre on a step and pinch puncture or find the tyre rolls around on the rim during cornering. Try relaxing more especially your grip and shoulders and a suspension upgrade wouldn't go amiss. Alternatively larger tyres may allow you to run a lower pressure and get away with it but a larger tyre may need a wider rim and of course your fork/frame need clearance too.

Cheers for the info fella. agree.gif I probably am too stiff, it's all new to me.
I just wish I'd gone off road sooner than I have. The thrill of going down quick (quick for me!) is well worth the slog up. I can't wait for my next ride out.

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Sep 27 2011, 08:58 PM
Post #4

Group: Root Admin

The thrill of going down quick (quick for me!) is well worth the slog up. I can't wait for my next ride out.

I still feel exactly this way and I've been going off-road since 1985! dance.gif

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 09:16 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News