IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> hello
lewis850
post Nov 14 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

hi all, my name is lewis im 16 and im from north wales. go to llandegla most weekends on my carrera vulcan 2011 smile.gif.

came from there on yesterday and broke a few things dry.gif ive twisted the chain, puncher and i think one of the seals has gone on one of the shocks sad.gif

i can replace the chain and fix the puncher my self, just wanting any advice on shocks smile.gif

thanks
lewis
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rod
post Nov 15 2011, 05:30 AM
Post #2

Hello,
do you know which make / model of "shock" you have or do you mean the "fork".
Also what do you think has gone and what are the symptoms?

Giz the details and someone will be around in a bit to help.

Rod

--------------------
Every Silver Lining Has a Cloud!

Don't trust government (I'm bitter and twisted over the CROW & NERC BILL)
(Mountain biking will be next incidentally)

NO, you're OK, I insist YOU go first. ...
Told you it couldn't be done!

+Quote Post
lewis850
post Nov 15 2011, 07:47 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Rod @ Nov 15 2011, 05:30 AM) *
Hello,
do you know which make / model of "shock" you have or do you mean the "fork".
Also what do you think has gone and what are the symptoms?

Giz the details and someone will be around in a bit to help.

Rod

oops my bad, one of the forks has gone. its the one that you can either "lock" or "open" ?? .

when i was riding i noticed air and bubbles coming from there?, and a sort of hissing sounds ?

lewis

+Quote Post
Rod
post Nov 15 2011, 04:19 PM
Post #4

Firstly... how long have you had the bike and are you the original owner?
If the answer is "not long and yes" then you may be able to have a warrantee claim??????

However,
from looking at the bike you describe it has Suntour XCM-V3 fork and by all accounts are nothing short of cack... sorry.

Repairing may be an option and emithering Suntour may provide an answer as to what might be wrong and projected cost of repair (I'd guess around 40 - 60 in a bike shop) However I'd be more inclind to ask on here if anyone has a set of forks to flog or go on E-blag and try to pick something up at a used price for 60... there is a possibility that you may get lucky but as for repairing them... not sure it's work it?

First port of call would be Suntour for a little advice IMO.

Good luck.

Rod

--------------------

+Quote Post
lewis850
post Nov 15 2011, 05:20 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Rod @ Nov 15 2011, 04:19 PM) *
Firstly... how long have you had the bike and are you the original owner?
If the answer is "not long and yes" then you may be able to have a warrantee claim??????

However,
from looking at the bike you describe it has Suntour XCM-V3 fork and by all accounts are nothing short of cack... sorry.

Repairing may be an option and emithering Suntour may provide an answer as to what might be wrong and projected cost of repair (I'd guess around 40 - 60 in a bike shop) However I'd be more inclind to ask on here if anyone has a set of forks to flog or go on E-blag and try to pick something up at a used price for 60... there is a possibility that you may get lucky but as for repairing them... not sure it's work it?

First port of call would be Suntour for a little advice IMO.
Good luck.

Rod

thanks for your reply rod, ive had the bike for a months and it was bought brand new, shame about the cack forks sad.gif, still under warrenty go to shop soon to see what they say smile.gif

what forks should i get, if i have to buy some ???? want a good set lol

+Quote Post
sparky spokes
post Nov 15 2011, 06:37 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE(lewis850 @ Nov 15 2011, 05:20 PM) *
thanks for your reply rod, ive had the bike for a months and it was bought brand new, shame about the cack forks sad.gif, still under warrenty go to shop soon to see what they say smile.gif

what forks should i get, if i have to buy some ???? want a good set lol

depends what travel they are 120mm 100mm etc fox forks are great quality but you need some serious wongas to buy them

+Quote Post
lewis850
post Nov 15 2011, 06:38 PM
Post #7

just come back smile.gif forks are underwarrenty smile.gif, new chain tube and tyre levers. only bad thing is the forks could take up to 2 weeks sad.gif

+Quote Post
Rod
post Nov 15 2011, 08:02 PM
Post #8

I'd count that as a result! stupidlyhappy.gif

If you are serious about a new fork it all depends on your budget. However new forks are available at ChainReaction cycles from less than 150 but read the customer reviews to make up your mind. Keep a look out on t'internet / eblag / pinkbike for some used deals. A lad in work has got a set of Manatou BLACK been serviced 1 ride ago but has a small mark on the stantion it does not look to be effecting the seal and he was going to sell them for 60 if you would like me to see if he still has them I can ask? I would emphesise the mark but also emphesize that it all seems OK. The service he had done cost 80 alone! (from Stendec of Holywell I think)

Once your forks come back you could sell them and get about 30-50 I guess?

Anyway, glad to hear you at least have the option FOC.

Rod

--------------------

+Quote Post
lewis850
post Nov 15 2011, 08:11 PM
Post #9

thanks for ya help rod wink.gif , i think ill see how my forks are when back from service smile.gif. is there anything else i could upgrade which will make a real difference ??

also i noticed your from flintshire, im from wrexham smile.gif. is there any downhill tracks around here ??

+Quote Post
Rod
post Nov 15 2011, 09:49 PM
Post #10

Llangollen, Foel Fachnach (sp?) & Moelfra are the nearest but don't even think of going near those on your current bike it will break and if it don't you will!

I wouldn't do anything more serious than 'Degla or natural xc trails in our area if I were you.

Rod

--------------------

+Quote Post
lewis850
post Nov 15 2011, 10:06 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Rod @ Nov 15 2011, 09:49 PM) *
Llangollen, Foel Fachnach (sp?) & Moelfra are the nearest but don't even think of going near those on your current bike it will break and if it don't you will!

I wouldn't do anything more serious than 'Degla or natural xc trails in our area if I were you.

Rod

sad.gif i like to push me and my bike to the limits biggrin.gif lol

i want to try a down hill track, as im more of a speed swooping rider than climbing etc wink.gif

+Quote Post
Rod
post Nov 15 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #12

"as im more of a speed swooping rider than climbing " LOL... aint we all!?

but bare in mind when you fall off or have a fail moment going up hill you generally are traveling below 10 mph (5mph in my case) however going down we can get to over 30! Coming off at that speed hurts, lots and that's if you don't hit something to stop you!

IF you want to "pootle" a D/H track then fine but if you insist on trying propper D/H at speed book a bed in A&E cuz your current ride wont last for too many runs I'm affraid.

Rod

--------------------

+Quote Post
lewis850
post Nov 16 2011, 05:54 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(Rod @ Nov 15 2011, 10:54 PM) *
"as im more of a speed swooping rider than climbing " LOL... aint we all!?
but bare in mind when you fall off or have a fail moment going up hill you generally are traveling below 10 mph (5mph in my case) however going down we can get to over 30! Coming off at that speed hurts, lots and that's if you don't hit something to stop you!

IF you want to "pootle" a D/H track then fine but if you insist on trying propper D/H at speed book a bed in A&E cuz your current ride wont last for too many runs I'm affraid.

Rod

ok thanks for the advice mate worship.gif

+Quote Post
jes
post Nov 16 2011, 10:43 AM
Post #14

Push up & Ride down ................... Lewis your in the zone buddy, it's how I roll biggrin.gif

But Rod is correct, you may get away with things for a while riding Landegla but as you've seen bikes do need a lot of care if hammed hard.

Also if you enjoy shreddin the gnarl please tell me you have at least a helmet and gloves, I've written off xc and full face helmets in the last 12 months which is better than my head & face getting damaged.

If you have great, then get your self some knee pads to go with those shorts you need biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
lewis850
post Nov 16 2011, 05:10 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(jes @ Nov 16 2011, 10:43 AM) *
Push up & Ride down ................... Lewis your in the zone buddy, it's how I roll biggrin.gif

But Rod is correct, you may get away with things for a while riding Landegla but as you've seen bikes do need a lot of care if hammed hard.

Also if you enjoy shreddin the gnarl please tell me you have at least a helmet and gloves, I've written off xc and full face helmets in the last 12 months which is better than my head & face getting damaged.

If you have great, then get your self some knee pads to go with those shorts you need biggrin.gif

yes have helmet and gloves- which i need to get new ones. not sure on knee pads tho ???

yes got shorts lol biggrin.gif

tbh, i need to ride up as i need to get fit , i just carnt be arsed ! unsure.gif

+Quote Post
lewis850
post Nov 17 2011, 10:50 AM
Post #16

also, instead of starting a new thread, can i just ask whats the "fattest" tyre i can fit on my vulcan ?? and is there any good choices to go for ???

also do you guy's & girl's have a set for road and one for dirt ??? or go for a set which can do both ?

+Quote Post
Rod
post Nov 19 2011, 09:11 PM
Post #17

Fattest tyre?... not a clue!
But why ask?
Fatter aint neccesarily the best.

What trails are you riding? Trail centres generally generally don't need anything bigger than 2.35s (IMO)
Big tyres have a habbit of having more materials in to them = more weight = bad unless you need big tyre puncture protection?
Also the your weight may influence tyre size and pressure along with the size of your rims.

If I were you I would not go bigger than 2.0" which unless you are over 15 stones will support your bike & you at a pressure that will still roll at a good speed.

I stick to tyres of 2.3" due to my weight which I believe needs supporting on a bigger bag of air to aid prevention of punctures. In turn I use wider rim wheels to support the tyres. If you go too big for your rims the tyre profile gets all wrong and there is more risk of roll over where you can feel the tyre folding over the rim edge.

Also... have you seen the price of tyres these days!!!

Rod

Rod

--------------------

+Quote Post
lewis850
post Nov 19 2011, 10:26 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Rod @ Nov 19 2011, 09:11 PM) *
Fattest tyre?... not a clue!
But why ask?
Fatter aint neccesarily the best.
What trails are you riding? Trail centres generally generally don't need anything bigger than 2.35s (IMO)
Big tyres have a habbit of having more materials in to them = more weight = bad unless you need big tyre puncture protection?
Also the your weight may influence tyre size and pressure along with the size of your rims.

If I were you I would not go bigger than 2.0" which unless you are over 15 stones will support your bike & you at a pressure that will still roll at a good speed.
I stick to tyres of 2.3" due to my weight which I believe needs supporting on a bigger bag of air to aid prevention of punctures. In turn I use wider rim wheels to support the tyres. If you go too big for your rims the tyre profile gets all wrong and there is more risk of roll over where you can feel the tyre folding over the rim edge.

Also... have you seen the price of tyres these days!!!
Rod
Rod

thanks for the advice rod, i was just thinking of getting some for the winter and snow,
thanks for all the info rod worship.gif

lewis

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 07:28 AM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News