IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gisburn and Grizdale
Rod
post Jan 30 2012, 11:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

Now then, I joined the great unwashed (no not road bikes) and got me a caravan last year and now need to make use of the damn thing.

So... as I have intimated in other areas here-n in the past I intend to hood-wink guide the good wifey in to going somewhere near the odd, well let's just call 'em easy places to go and ride, OK OK "trail centres".

To this end I need some advice:

With respect to Grizdale and Gisburn are these areas worth a punt for taking a weekend break with the family, taking the van to stay in?
Or are they places to visit with a bunch of riding mates, go, ride, come home?

Also what is the riding like compared to the N.Wales centres?

Rod

--------------------
Every Silver Lining Has a Cloud!

Don't trust government (I'm bitter and twisted over the CROW & NERC BILL)
(Mountain biking will be next incidentally)

NO, you're OK, I insist YOU go first. ...
Told you it couldn't be done!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ibbo
post Jan 30 2012, 08:09 PM
Post #2

Grizedale NFT is pretty much like any other trail centre but short(ish) but there's the entire Lake District national park to explore We do a few sections of the NFT then tie it in with some great natural stuff in and around the Forest.Close to Hawkshead/Coniston so plenty of places to stay(campsite at both)Good pubs etc.Loads of fire-road stuff in the Forest and also a sculpture trail and a going-ape rolleyes.gif Loads of family type stuff to do,trips on the Lakes etc.You can also Via-Ferretta at Honister slate mine if that appeals.There's also Whinlatter Altura trail a bit further north in the Park(Keswick) if it's trail centres you want.
Rode Gisburn once and TBH wasn't impressed.A trail centre is meant to be ridden all year but in the wet it's a mess(or was).It is however an on-going thing so might have improved.

--------------------

+Quote Post
old dude
post Jan 30 2012, 09:18 PM
Post #3

to add to ibbo,s post,
i take my van to bowness,
i do all my riding from there, i find it very central,
once stopped at hawkshead, again very central for riding from base, but it was a pain getting the outfit to hawkshead
as it is a bit big for the lanes, i got into a mess and blocked the road for a bit as i was unucky enough to blocked in by a bus and lorries!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2014 - 05:33 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News