Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> get the missus biking
pickwick
post Feb 4 2012, 05:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

i really want my wife to come biking with me, i think she will enjoy the likes of llandegla, gisburn, rivington etc once she gets there but i cant convince her to give it a go, any ideas anyone.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rod
post Feb 4 2012, 06:04 PM
Post #2

Do somewhere like Delemere first. I doubt Llandeglas first climb will indear her to off-roading?

Oh and a full sus. bike with a sprung saddle helps too agree.gif

Rod

--------------------
Every Silver Lining Has a Cloud!

Don't trust government (I'm bitter and twisted over the CROW & NERC BILL)
(Mountain biking will be next incidentally)

NO, you're OK, I insist YOU go first. ...
Told you it couldn't be done!

+Quote Post
bazza
post Feb 4 2012, 06:32 PM
Post #3

Tie a pair of Jimmy Choo's (sp?) to your CamelBack.
If she catches you, she can have them.

laugh.gif

--------------------
NB: It's unlikely I'll see your reply. So, please PM me if you need a response.

+Quote Post
captainfly
post Feb 5 2012, 04:25 AM
Post #4

start with something scenic and easy first, then the bike will seduce here to more challenging rides

--------------------
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Mongoose Teocali
Giant STP0

+Quote Post
martyn748
post Feb 5 2012, 11:10 AM
Post #5

llandgen will scare the sh*t out of her and she'll wont sit on a bike ever again.

Yes some where flat, scenic with either a good cake shop/pub at the end.

No 15 mile epics, just a 30 min or so, and yes a compfy bike. Having got my last 3 gf's all bike I have learnt from my mistacks.

Good luck and have fun.

+Quote Post
lawmanmx
post Feb 5 2012, 11:16 AM
Post #6

wasting your time pal (unless its her idea) she will never give it a proper go, im my experience

--------------------
who the F*** let me in here???

+Quote Post
Rod
post Feb 5 2012, 12:37 PM
Post #7

"wasting your time pal (unless its her idea) she will never give it a proper go, im my experience"

He's prety much hit the preverbial nail on the head with that statement.

However, keep the ride to around an hour, keep it flatish, do it in nice weather and maybe try a little something only slightly out of your riding partners comfort zone just to give 'em a feeling of achievement.

Good luck,

Rod

--------------------
Every Silver Lining Has a Cloud!

Don't trust government (I'm bitter and twisted over the CROW & NERC BILL)
(Mountain biking will be next incidentally)

NO, you're OK, I insist YOU go first. ...
Told you it couldn't be done!

+Quote Post
captainfly
post Feb 5 2012, 03:54 PM
Post #8

do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5DnsKGfqys

--------------------
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Mongoose Teocali
Giant STP0

+Quote Post
Geoffmbr1
post Feb 5 2012, 05:09 PM
Post #9

patience and easy riding (for them not you) first off all , one of the main things i see over the years is us bikers forget how fit we are and take someone out on what we regard as an easy ride We then show impatient and frustration when the can keep up after a short distance , grind em down demoralize em and thats it.

As a guy who is lucky to have a riding buddy/wife she started of on flat level railway tracks which to me as a guy doing 250miles a week with the chaingang were painfully slow and easy,

But we both stuck at it and now worship.gif she is pretty damm good in my biased opion

taking a rank amatuer to some llandegla could end your marriage never mind her biking career

good luck and patients and tell her your enjoting her company you will get there

--------------------
Geoff Rawson
As seen in M.B.R. What Mountain Bike & Featured in Go-mid wales mountain biking & mtb wales.com !
My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/26383850@N08/

now as Featured in The Good Mountain Biking guide 2011

+Quote Post
Ibbo
post Feb 5 2012, 08:32 PM
Post #10

I ride to get away from the missus cool.gif
QUOTE(Geoffmbr1 @ Feb 5 2012, 05:09 PM) *
taking a rank amatuer to some llandegla could end your marriage

Never thought of this.....I'm buying her a bike.......... dance.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jes
post Feb 5 2012, 08:51 PM
Post #11

Got the ex on a bike once ...................................... shivers in recollection .................. still really can't talk about the experience, but in summary after five minutes of riding the bike you would have thought she had run a marathon whilst giving birth smile.gif

+Quote Post
glynn six 0
post Feb 6 2012, 02:30 AM
Post #12

my mrs. cant even ride a bike,wernt allowed one when she was little,not bothered,not interested..........she just doesnt get it biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
martyn748
post Feb 6 2012, 01:00 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Ibbo @ Feb 5 2012, 08:32 PM) *

laugh.gif CLASS

My wife is now slowly getting back in on to the bike after having 2 kids. It's nice that she want to come out more and she gets what its about. sun.gif
But I can see a time in the furture when I just want to get out shread with the boy and she'll want to tag along and I'll have to keep waiting for her and making the routes easier to accomidate. doh.gif Now was it a good idear to get her riding?

+Quote Post
littlegirlbunny
post Feb 6 2012, 10:57 PM
Post #14

Group: Administrators

There are a million and one ways to encourage her riding, but they will all be a waste of time if, in her heart, she's not interested.

Everyone has their own skills and loves in life, MTB may not be hers.

If she wants to give it a go though, then it's up to you to make it an enjoyable experience.

Things I'd recommend:
* listen to Geoff up there ^
* get her a comfortable bike to start with - doesn't have to be technically fancy, if she likes the sport it won't take long until she realises the bike's limitations and wants to upgrade to something of her choice.
* go somewhere nice, with nice family trails, and maybe a blue route to progress to if she really takes to it
* let her dictate the pace and distance - start with a few miles and work up
* get the lady some tuition from Jedi if she's enjoying being on the bike
* encourage, but don't patronise

Things not to do:
* scare her stupid on technical trails you know well
* tell her 'bluddy hell woman my gran could ride that'
* pose with your unlimited technical competency when she is still struggling with the basics
* get in a sulk when she ends up being technically better than you tongue.gif

+Quote Post
torihada
post Feb 7 2012, 12:29 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(littlegirlbunny @ Feb 6 2012, 10:57 PM) *
Don't get in a sulk when she ends up being technically better than you tongue.gif

agree.gif

My favourite sport a long time ago was to follow my then GF on the commute into London. She'd be on her ladies touring bike, with panniers,knee length boots, long skirt, hair flying in the wind. She'd mash past some bloke sweating on a road bike and I'd watch the ensuing struggle as said guy attempted to keep up, getting more and more frustrated/knackered as she left him behind.

I think what Geof & LGB said sums it up. Generally we ride for the sake of it, but if you go somewhere scenic and the bikes are an easy means to accessing somewhere special with the added bonus of a picnic/cafe/pub then it doesn't become the focus of the day out. Maybe when you take your GF/wife/partner out for the first time you should beg/borrow/steal a 10 inch DH rig to peddle along side them, that'll even it up a little.

--------------------
There do appear to be some hills south of the Trent...
http://www.youtube.com/butahada

+Quote Post
Fran
post Feb 21 2012, 02:04 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(torihada @ Feb 7 2012, 12:29 PM) *
agree.gif

My favourite sport a long time ago was to follow my then GF on the commute into London. She'd be on her ladies touring bike, with panniers,knee length boots, long skirt, hair flying in the wind. She'd mash past some bloke sweating on a road bike and I'd watch the ensuing struggle as said guy attempted to keep up, getting more and more frustrated/knackered as she left him behind.

I think what Geof & LGB said sums it up. Generally we ride for the sake of it, but if you go somewhere scenic and the bikes are an easy means to accessing somewhere special with the added bonus of a picnic/cafe/pub then it doesn't become the focus of the day out. Maybe when you take your GF/wife/partner out for the first time you should beg/borrow/steal a 10 inch DH rig to peddle along side them, that'll even it up a little.

I starting mtb last summer after my husband asked me if i would like to give it a go, he bought me a bike, and ive done Llandegla (blue run guys first take it easy!!!) done Gisburn, and few others and iam totally hooked and want to improve my mtb. My word of advice guys, is DO NOT naughty.gif expect your wife or girlfriend to keep up with you, and dont lose your temper, if you are encouraging, and praising, then you will be suprised, I think, that they may show a real interest in mtb. Eervyone is different, a little patience goes a long way! dance.gif

--------------------
[font="Verdana"][/font]FRAN

+Quote Post
martyn748
post Feb 21 2012, 04:12 PM
Post #17

As Fran said. lots of praise works wunders worship.gif

Me and the wife went round thetford. Didn't invite the guys so I wouldn't be tempted to shoot off.
What also helped is that is that I went out for a ride the night before so my legs were more than happy to plod round at a more lesurly pace. innocent.gif

+Quote Post
pickwick
post Feb 21 2012, 09:16 PM
Post #18

The main reason I want her to come is I just enjoy the day out as a whole the fresh air scenery etc am not bothered about flying down the black runs with her just want to share the feeling I get from doing it and believe it or not still like my wifes company so anyway I've managed to borrow a bike and she agreed a ride so next nice weekend going tatton park or delamere

+Quote Post
littlegirlbunny
post Feb 21 2012, 10:13 PM
Post #19

Group: Administrators

QUOTE(pickwick @ Feb 21 2012, 09:16 PM) *
The main reason I want her to come is I just enjoy the day out as a whole the fresh air scenery etc am not bothered about flying down the black runs with her just want to share the feeling I get from doing it and believe it or not still like my wifes company so anyway I've managed to borrow a bike and she agreed a ride so next nice weekend going tatton park or delamere

Awww that's good to hear! Hope it all goes well smile.gif

+Quote Post
dave gascoigne
post Feb 23 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Ibbo @ Feb 5 2012, 08:32 PM) *

lol my sentiments exactly

--------------------