IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Long Mynd?
Ibbo
post Feb 5 2012, 03:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

What's it like?I know there's a riders on here that have ridden down that way.
We're thinking of an alternative camping trip sometime this year.We generally have a few camping trips to the Lakes but fancy summat different this year.Also fancy Cannock but not the drive there and back in a day.We thought ride Long Mynd/Minton Batch,camp/beer etc then call at Cannock on the way home cool.gif There looks to be a good campsite in Little Stretton.
I have 2 MBR routes,one 10.5 miles and one 18 miles but suggestions will be taken on board.
Thanks in advance agree.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
glynn six 0
post Feb 5 2012, 04:31 PM
Post #2

long mynd is an excellent place to ride.not as rocky as the peaks but a great variety of stuff,tough climbs long flowing descents.the gpx of micks chocky cake ride is in 'maps list' and i also did the chain reaction event
http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/events/marshbrook.php last year which also took in other bits icluding a down hill section (dont know if the2012 event is going to be the same route as last year)its based at marshbrook and includes the camping for the weekend(there were campers there that wernt even involved in the events)but theres no issue with that.
mick and old bert would know the mynd better than anyone on here.

+Quote Post
Weak Knees
post Feb 5 2012, 05:10 PM
Post #3

Great place to ride with some big climbs and fast descents, as Glynn said Mick or Rob would be the best people to advise you on routes agree.gif

--------------------
Kona Unit Fat Front 29er SS

On One Inbred 29er

Specialized Tricross SS

"I'll see you at the top when i get there"

+Quote Post
Ibbo
post Feb 5 2012, 08:40 PM
Post #4

Cheers cool.gif
I was really just wanting reassurance that it's worth sacrificing a Lakes camping trip to ride there.I'd hate to get there,ride and feel like I'd wasted a trip.From the photos I've seen on here it looks pretty good and the pubs in Little Stretton appear to be worth a visit wink.gif
Hopefully Mick and OBW will be along to advise on routes cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
_tom_
post Feb 5 2012, 11:28 PM
Post #5

Minton Batch on a rainy day is still one of the best descents I've done - really long flowy singletrack fun smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mick
post Feb 6 2012, 03:18 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Ibbo @ Feb 5 2012, 03:17 PM) *
What's it like?I know there's a riders on here that have ridden down that way.
We're thinking of an alternative camping trip sometime this year.We generally have a few camping trips to the Lakes but fancy summat different this year.Also fancy Cannock but not the drive there and back in a day.We thought ride Long Mynd/Minton Batch,camp/beer etc then call at Cannock on the way home cool.gif There looks to be a good campsite in Little Stretton.
I have 2 MBR routes,one 10.5 miles and one 18 miles but suggestions will be taken on board.
Thanks in advance agree.gif

If you mean Smallbatch campsite it's really well located. It's at the bottom of a crazy fast descent off the top of the Long Mynd that will have you smiling for a loooooong time (if it's wet very few people get down it without an off!). There used to be two pubs in Little Stretton but the one has been closed for "refurbishment", don't know if it is, or will, open again. It's also worth going into Church Stretton at night as there gets some "interesting" people in the local pubs innocent.gif

How long do you plan on being there? As well as the Long Mynd (which is ace but I would say that as I spend a lot of time up there), there are great trails at Eastridge, which is really close.

You won't be disappointed with the Long Mynd if you decide to give it a go.

As far as routes go I can certainly sort something out for you agree.gif What sort of distance, height gain are you looking at?

This is the route we did on my birthday ride in November

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ibbo
post Feb 6 2012, 04:26 PM
Post #7

That's the campsite we were looking at agree.gif
We generally ride in the Peak/Lake District owt from 16-28 miles and 3500ft+ of height gain.We're not super-fit and generally take around 3.5-4hours inc stops to do the Jacobs Ladder route in Edale.We're of the "relaxed pace" school wink.gif
Initially we're looking at 1 night and maybe a return if we likey cool.gif We were planning on doing Cannock on the way home but if the riding's good we might do a 2nd ride and leave Cannock for another time.
I have an 18 miler that goes up the Carding Mill valley(?)onto Long Mynd then turns right at a shooting house to Coates the rejoins LM and drops down Minton Batch.It was in MBR a couple of years ago.Your route looks appealing.Do you have it in gpx format?If not I should be able to plot it onto an OS map anyway cool.gif
We'll be going mid-week probably so how's the night life in Church Stretton then?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mick
post Feb 6 2012, 09:02 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Ibbo @ Feb 6 2012, 04:26 PM) *
I have an 18 miler that goes up the Carding Mill valley(?)onto Long Mynd then turns right at a shooting house to Coates the rejoins LM and drops down Minton Batch.It was in MBR a couple of years ago.Your route looks appealing.Do you have it in gpx format?If not I should be able to plot it onto an OS map anyway cool.gif
We'll be going mid-week probably so how's the night life in Church Stretton then?

Personally I wouldn't ride up (in my case there's a lot of pushing) Carding Mill Valley but it's not too bad going down midweek (it's very popular with walkers at weekends) although there are lots of waterbars, put in I think to put MTBers off riding it. I have got a GPX of the route I can let you have. Depending on when you are going the route will need changing slightly to avoid a section that becomes a bog during the winter.

The night life in Church Stretton is never very lively, just interesting. I think midweek will be pretty quiet!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ibbo
post Feb 6 2012, 09:08 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Mick @ Feb 6 2012, 09:02 PM) *
The night life in Church Stretton is never very lively, just interesting. I think midweek will be pretty quiet!

We'll be going in the summer agree.gif
I'm never too reliant on MBR routes...they always seem to get them the wrong way around or miss all the best bits sneaky.gif
We're not too bothered about a kicking night,just somewhere to have good grub and a few pints and as Little Stretton is down to 1 pub we were thinking Church Stretton might be a better option?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elmo78
post Feb 6 2012, 09:54 PM
Post #10

But what a lovely pub it is!

www.theraglethinn.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=66593761628

Church Stretton is rare at the best of times!

+Quote Post
Ibbo
post Feb 6 2012, 10:02 PM
Post #11

Granted it looks like a country pub should but a bit of variety never goes amiss agree.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
floyd_england
post Feb 7 2012, 09:39 AM
Post #12

The Mynd has some superb riding, very much, ride up, then ride down. But the downs are stunning, every one has it's own unique style....

As has also been said, Eastridge is not far away and has a waymarked red trail plus some DH runs. There's some great riding. Also you have the Stiperstones next to Eastridge, I've heard there's good riding there too although as it's not waymarked so some local input may be required.

Both are rideable on lanes/sideways from the Mynd.

--------------------
N.E.S. on FB the real alternative to MTBing life with a dictator.
"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves." - Ernesto 'Che' Guevara, Mexico 1958

+Quote Post
Mick
post Feb 7 2012, 03:31 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(floyd_england @ Feb 7 2012, 09:39 AM) *
As has also been said, Eastridge is not far away and has a waymarked red trail plus some DH runs. There's some great riding. Also you have the Stiperstones next to Eastridge, I've heard there's good riding there too although as it's not waymarked so some local input may be required.

Both are rideable on lanes/sideways from the Mynd.

A good long ride for a long summer day would be to start on the Long Mynd, ride over to the Stiperstones then on to Eastridge and back on to the Long Mynd

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ibbo
post Feb 7 2012, 09:00 PM
Post #14

Thanks for all the input/help/advice Mick agree.gif
I'll PM you nearer the time for that GPX file cool.gif
I love planning trips,gives me summat to look forward to stupidlyhappy.gif

--------------------