IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2006 fox vanilla r, I need a fork'n rebuild
Elmo78
post Feb 16 2012, 09:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Before i went out tonight (the bike was dry) i noticed a bit of oil on my right stanchion.
I clean and lube them after every crappy ride, but there was more oil than i'd expect from that. It was even more evident 11 miles later.

I'm guessing i need new seals and a rebuild.
They're 2006/7,i bought them 2nd hand on a bike in 2007, and i've not touched them.
The stanchions are pristine so its a a bit of dirt or wear that needs sorting asap.

Is this something that can be home remedied? Any how-toos?
Bearing in mind i have limited...well no knowledge of rebuilding forks, no parts (yet), no special tools(if needed) and its got to be said i'm a little heavy handed.
Am i best leaving this to a pro?!

Cheers guys rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
peterfastlane
post Feb 16 2012, 09:29 PM
Post #2

QUOTE(Elmo78 @ Feb 16 2012, 09:03 PM) *
Before i went out tonight (the bike was dry) i noticed a bit of oil on my right stanchion.
I clean and lube them after every crappy ride, but there was more oil than i'd expect from that. It was even more evident 11 miles later.

I'm guessing i need new seals and a rebuild.
They're 2006/7,i bought them 2nd hand on a bike in 2007, and i've not touched them.
The stanchions are pristine so its a a bit of dirt or wear that needs sorting asap.

Is this something that can be home remedied? Any how-toos?
Bearing in mind i have limited...well no knowledge of rebuilding forks, no parts (yet), no special tools(if needed) and its got to be said i'm a little heavy handed.
Am i best leaving this to a pro?!

Cheers guys rolleyes.gif

I,ve serviced my fox 32 and 36 floats recently, and found it much easier than i thougth. google fox fork service, and there are plenty of guide vidios, service data etc. I didnt change my seals, but I think the set is about 25. You will also need some float fluid, and fork oil. no special tools just to change seals, but a small bottle of some sort, is handy to measure out the fork oil required. Dont overtighten the nuts on the lowers and you cant go wrong.

+Quote Post
:: Xiphon ::
post Apr 15 2012, 05:27 PM
Post #3

There are plenty of companies who will service your forks for you - but you're also paying for their knowledge in spotting things gone wrong.

Personally, if the last time it was serviced (possibly) was 2007, I would send it to a pro (Loco, Mojo, J-Tech, TF).

The evidence kind of speaks for itself? If you knew they needed to be serviced regularly, then you would have already looked into it - and possibly done it yourself *years* ago?

--------------------
RD: Cannondale CAAD8 '12
DH: Orange 222 '02 retired for now
XC: Orange Patriot '00 retired for now
HT: Dialled Bikes Prince Albert
BMX: Redline Flight XXL '10

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 12:05 AM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News