Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear shock
RY1
post Feb 19 2012, 11:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

Hello all

Looking for some sound advice please. I recently had an accident on my bike that saw the valve of my rear shock taken clean off a sudden loss of pressure and thats that.

I am looking to buy a new shock with some urgency because I don't have a working one. I have been looking into the 2011 Fox float RP2 and RP23. They sell for 200 give or take 20 between them. This is unfortunately my cash limit. I have read some very mixed reviews about these shocks, mainly that they become very noisy (with care) after a short time.

My previous 2 shocks have been Manitou 3-way swingers. The second I bought because the first was good enough for my need and I never had and trouble until it finally died. I was unable to get it repaired as everywhere I tried, evans cycles included, said they didn't stock the parts for that model anymore. The second manitou was a nightmare in comparison. Rebuilt twice in 4 months, noisy as hell. Only had in 11 months before the above accident. It was the same model as the first but 4 years on and more settings that didn't appear to do a lot. I am reluctant to buy another manitou after the last, though there are loads of them in my price range. At chain reaction cycles anyway.

I don't think shocks with the 'piggy reservoir' will fit my frame: Giant reign, 06' model

Anyway. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Ian
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bazza
post Feb 19 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #2

RP23 is awesome! You won't regret it.
I replaced the stock Fox Triad (I think it's simliar to an RP2) on my Stumpy FSR with an RP23. Fab shock when setup correctly.
My Triad had lockout/full-sus, whereas the RP23 has Pro-Pedal/full-sus. I ride with the Pro-Pedal quite firm, that way you get quite close to a lock-out feel, but, can't break f if you forget to switch back to full-sus.

Just make sure you get the right stroke, and replace the bushes (if needed).
Oh, and try to buy one that has been serviced recently, or has come off a fairly new bike.

--------------------
NB: It's unlikely I'll see your reply. So, please PM me if you need a response.

+Quote Post
RY1
post Feb 19 2012, 06:27 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(bazza @ Feb 19 2012, 07:14 PM) *
RP23 is awesome! You won't regret it.
I replaced the stock Fox Triad (I think it's simliar to an RP2) on my Stumpy FSR with an RP23. Fab shock when setup correctly.
My Triad had lockout/full-sus, whereas the RP23 has Pro-Pedal/full-sus. I ride with the Pro-Pedal quite firm, that way you get quite close to a lock-out feel, but, can't break f if you forget to switch back to full-sus.

Just make sure you get the right stroke, and replace the bushes (if needed).
Oh, and try to buy one that has been serviced recently, or has come off a fairly new bike.

Thanks very much for the advice, definitely helped.
I believe It's brand new for 208 gbp. That's on chain reaction cycles.

Thanks again

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2014 - 09:05 AM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News