Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coed llandegla
SuperJJ
post Mar 12 2012, 03:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Hi ppl,

Went out for my first trail ride since 2011 on Friday just gone, I knew it was going to be tough in terms of physical effort but wow lol.

I think the worst of it was that I didn't realise the course has been updated so where I was expecting a 13 mile (including black runs) trail it turned out to be over 16 miles! and those extra miles included some tough (get off your bike and push) climbs.

Saying that I'm amazed at how much better they have made the trail, I already loved it, but now it has more northshore, berms and downhill sections. Job well done to the guys that did that. I dont understand why they haven't updated the trail map on the llandegla website though as it really did catch me out. I was exhausted at the end ha ha.

All in all a great day out and going to try and get out again before the end of March. Thinking of trying coed y brenin next so looking forward to that! Can anyone advise which trails are best to go on there which arent too long i.e. more than 10 -13 miles? Also I noticed on the website that it warns on most of the trails there, there are drops of more than 8", does this mean that there are drops just a bit bigger than this or ones that are easier mesaured in feet lol

Cheers

Superjj
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SammyC
post Mar 12 2012, 03:35 PM
Post #2

Thanks for the heads up as I'm heading there on Thursday for a loop.

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Mar 12 2012, 08:07 PM
Post #3

Group: Root Admin

I'm not sure any of the trails exactly fit that bill but if you study the maps there are lots of ways to short cut back or add more in. I'm guessing you were looking at the Tarw (pronounced Taroo) on average this is not as dangerous as it used to be (some of it's sections under another name used to be properly dangerous!) there are not many drops over a foot though so they can generally be rolled down if you have your weight right back. The proper style is to lift the front wheel, practice popping off kerbs until you can land with both wheels at the same time at any speed then it's the same technique for any height of step. Never land with straight legs always absorb with your knees and elbows. For some really useful guides see MTB Techniques.

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

+Quote Post
_tom_
post Mar 14 2012, 10:13 PM
Post #4

Thanks for the heads up, should be riding Llandegla on Monday! We were planning on warming up on the blue then going round the red/black bits. But would it be better to just start off on the red and black then finish the day riding the freeride/jumps?

+Quote Post
SuperJJ
post Mar 15 2012, 10:45 AM
Post #5

@Gareth - Thanks for the advice, will keep that in mind. I had another look, and am now more inclined to go for the 'Dragons back' trail at Brenin, I know this is longer than I had planned (total approx 19 miles) but am thinking its only 3 miles more than the route I took at llandegla and am hoping it isn't as tough/frequent on the climbing sections. Hopefully SammyC and/or Tom have done the Dragons back trail and after doing the updated llandegla they could give some advice on how the trails compare/differ in physical dfficulty.

@ tom - no problem, looks like the llandegla website does now detail the change -

NEW: November 2011. The new Black Section (2.6km) departs from the red trail immediately before the Twins on a new section of North Shore before taking you on a true roller coaster ride through the trees where table tops, doubles, drops and some surprise features are the order of the day. The trail then ascends back up to rejoin the new red rail above one of Coed Llandegla hidden valleys before heading over to North Shore Island.
For experienced bikers only.

Although it could have been there and I just didn't see it last time I looked. lol

Personally I would start on the red and black and as you said finish on the jump sections but I suppose it depends on your level of fitness. Doing it the way you suggest I think would be most logical as if your gassed at the end, you could just skip the jumps thus avoiding the way I did it where I doubled up with cramp on the last 3 miles ha ha.

Maybe SammyC could give a second opinion if he managed to make it there today as he had planned.

Whatever you do your in for a fun day with all the new sections!

+Quote Post
SammyC
post Mar 20 2012, 11:17 AM
Post #6

Was there on Wednesday in the end.

Jeepers that's a lot more exhausting than before, they've added quite a bit of extra trail. Quite a few steep climbs too.

+Quote Post
SuperJJ
post Mar 20 2012, 12:33 PM
Post #7

ha ha, that makes me feel better as I really struggled near the end lol. Yeah it was them climbs that killed me near the end!

By any chance SammyC, have you been to Brenin and done the dragon's back trail, Im after some feedback on comparing the two trails in terms of physical difficulty.

I wonder how tom found it, if he made it there yesterday.

+Quote Post
SammyC
post Mar 20 2012, 03:35 PM
Post #8

Yeah, those last few climbs on the red section are a bit brutal to be honest, not difficult but relentless! I pushed up the last couple as I was spent, I'd had no lunch, and I only have nine gears. sneaky.gif

I've done the CyB trail you mention but quite a while ago. I don't recall it being all that bad but I may have been fitter then, maybe not. Good fun though. I think it might be technically harder than Llandegla black (which isn't difficult, just very jumpy) but like I said, it was a few years ago. What I do remember is that the very start section is quite a shock, but is basically the hardest part, the idea being that if you can do that bit then you can do it all.

+Quote Post
SuperJJ
post Mar 22 2012, 10:39 AM
Post #9

Cheers SammyC for your post, it helps.

Could you expand when you say 'technically harder', sorry still bit of a newbie to this sport.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Rod
post Mar 24 2012, 05:54 PM
Post #10

Technically harder >

Llandegla for 99.9% can be ridden by anyone who can regulate their speed effectively whilst maintaining some semblance of balance.
It is rather smooth and the transitions are rolling with the only drop-offs being in the skills / free ride areas, with only 3 small ones that come to mind out on the courses propper. So keep your speed in check and 'Degla is ridable by quite a new rider if they are willing to " 'ave a go"
However 'Degla has the potential to hospitalize you when you pick up the pace (many can attest to that stretcher.gif ) so always keep that in mind.

CYB (Coed Y Brenin), Marin and Penmachno (N.Wales trail Centres) are more technical IMO because they all have drop offs and bare edged rock, loose rocks and other obstacle within the trail and demand a lot more concentration and skills / confidence to ride them, but that is how you improve.

Penmachno has the choice of two loops ( though you can make your own links to vary ) the second being a bolt-on to some of the first. I was there today and some of the scenery is outstanding. The riding has some of the best single track in N.Wales IMO. It also boasts the added danger along with CYB that if you do come off you have a good (bad) chance of landing on some quite unforgiving surfaces.

It should also be noted in the case of CYB and 'Machy the trail can take you waaaaaay out from civilization / roads and I would not consider riding them alone or without basic spares and kit. Also unless you have some screws loose or havwe some VERY good kit 'Machy and Marin should only be tackled in good weather as some parts can be quite exposed (Iknow someone who thought they were going to die riding 'Machy in February I turned the ride down and told 'em they were mad! (Oh and I'm quite serious... they thought they were going to DIE)

R biggrin.gif d

--------------------
Every Silver Lining Has a Cloud!

Don't trust government (I'm bitter and twisted over the CROW & NERC BILL)
(Mountain biking will be next incidentally)

NO, you're OK, I insist YOU go first. ...
Told you it couldn't be done!

+Quote Post
_tom_
post Mar 24 2012, 06:48 PM
Post #11

I enjoyed Llandegla but found CyB more fun I think. Llandegla seems like it has loads of climbing whilst CyB the climbs seemed more manageable, probably because they're less steep I guess. Was still a great ride though, think it was about 15 miles with all the extra black bits. Didn't really find the climbs that difficult though apart from a few of the steeper switchback bits. Didn't help that I was riding a bullit with boxxer forks though, completely overkill for the week apart from the top of Snowdon!

+Quote Post
Rod
post Mar 25 2012, 06:54 PM
Post #12

Just a heads-up for parking costs at 'Degla:

April 1st. Parking goes up in cost from 3:50 to 4:50 which for a one-off ride here and there still aint bad, but for a regular ride it's getting a bit hard to swallow if I'm honest. That's why for the 3rd. year in a row I got the parking pass @ 50. But be quick, this too goes up to 60 in April!

Just thought I'd let you know.

Rod

--------------------

+Quote Post
Suggsey
post Mar 25 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #13

Group: Moderators

I personally would say that CyB trails are on the whole more technically demanding but the opening trail will give you a real good idea of what to expect whichever trail you ride. If you cant cope with the opening section it would be a spoilt ride for you to continue on any of the black routes there. They have in the past few years sanitised some of the trails there that were more demanding and risky for the rider that is either inexperienced or lacking in confidence. Main thing is at CyB remember speed can be your friend when it comes to some of the rock gardens too slow=stall/OTB's.
Penmahcno is a more out there feeling trail with fantastic views and is a real good physical; workout too but you do need spares and ideally a riding buddy for safety IMO.
Marin trail near Betwys Coed is also another great trail but starting to bear the brunt of time and tyres.
Lallndegla is a great trail centre but not really comparable for more natural feel of the like of Penmachno and CyB is the between trails to my mind.
Just one word of warning do not attempt The Beast at CyB unless you have reasonable fitness-its a long slog with lots of climbing!

+Quote Post
_tom_
post Mar 25 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #14

imo Nant Yr Arian has the best flowy trails and the climbing doesn't seem that bad - I didn't even mind the Leg Burner really! Wish we did the full syfydrin trail though rather than summit + pendam.

+Quote Post
Doug
post Mar 25 2012, 09:34 PM
Post #15

Group: Administrators

QUOTE(Rod @ Mar 25 2012, 07:54 PM) *
April 1st. Parking goes up in cost from 3:50 to 4:50 which for a one-off ride here and there still aint bad,

I know theyve been working hard and put loads of new stuff in however it's a fiver I cant afford.
Sorry to say I'll be up there even less now. angry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rod
post Mar 26 2012, 10:04 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(_tom_ @ Mar 25 2012, 08:40 PM) *
Wish we did the full syfydrin trail though rather than summit + pendam.

Erm, once you have done it I feel I would need to hear your views then, I refere to it as "The Sufferin' Trail" wink.gif

I need to get back there to do the trails that you speak of to possibly redress the balance. think.gif

Rod

--------------------

+Quote Post
SuperJJ
post Mar 27 2012, 09:19 PM
Post #17

Thanks for all your responses ppl, decided were going to head to penmachno rather than cyb so really looking forward to that. Gonna get practising the drop offs before heading to dragons back etc.

Going with two others and am taking on board the comments by ensuring we are well prepared. Don't want to die on the trail! Sounds like an interesting story rod lol

Also this seems like a perfect time to test out my new berghaus rucksack with camelback reservoir. :-)

+Quote Post
Rod
post Mar 28 2012, 09:27 AM
Post #18

In good / warmer weather (not -5 to -15 ) it is a cracking ride... arguably one of the best single tracks in Wales or even England too?

I'd recommend you do loop 2 for the full benefit of it all but loop 1 is fine too.

Rod

--------------------

+Quote Post
SuperJJ
post Mar 28 2012, 01:40 PM
Post #19

Cheers Rod, yeah was looking to do both routes.

Does anyone have a trail map for penmachno as I can't seem to find one anywhere, looking for an official type one like the one attached.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  1_20090901135708_e____CyB_Dragons_Back_card.pdf ( 315.53k ) Number of downloads: 3

+Quote Post
SuperJJ
post Mar 28 2012, 03:18 PM
Post #20

Managed to find the trail cards for penmachno now and have posted them up here - Penmachno trail cards for others.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 02:47 AM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News