Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> South Wales newbie saying hello and after some advice
Jontyboy
post Mar 13 2012, 04:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Afternoon all!

Just wanted to introduce myself and get a bit of advice.

My name is Jon and I'm from sunny (past 2 days anyway) south Wales.

I haven't got a bike yet but spent most of my time before the wife and kids came along on a bike and am desperate to get back in the saddle so to speak.

I've played rugby for years and am big built ( 6 foot and 18 stone) and am after some guidance on what sort of bike to narrow down my search.

Main use will be just general riding with the family. Bit of "off road" riding but no downhill etc

I'm sure that full suspension will be over kill for what i will be doing so just front suspension with lockout needed I believe.

Budget wise is realisticly under 500 (as much as my friends new orange 5 pro tickles my fancy - the mrs and kids will probably expect a holiday this year not a new bike for daddy).

Sorry if these questions are basic but I just want a good quality bike that is suited to me and not going to disappoint me or let me down.

Thanks in advance and look forward to interacting with you!!

Jon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Mar 13 2012, 05:52 PM
Post #2

Group: Root Admin

Hi Jontyboy welcome to the Forum! If your requirements are just for a bike that will take your weight on general leisure riding then most hardtails in that price bracket would potentially suit. An air sprung fork will be an advantage as you can set it up for your weight however. How are you mechanically speaking? By this I don't mean your body but are you looking to do a lot of the service yourself? It can be big advantage to a first time rider without much mechanical knowledge to buy a bike locally which will get you more support. Do you have a good local bike shop and if so which manufacturers are they offering?

Let us know whether you need that level of support or whether we can hunt you out a bargain online?

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

+Quote Post
Suggsey
post Mar 16 2012, 08:04 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderators

Kona Hoss is your best bet entry level bike if you can find one from old stock somewhere. The Carrera Fury will when you sit on it in the shop and press the pedals flex at the bottom bracket area (I know I tried one and it flexed alarmingly, 17 stone 8lbs)
I would shop around if you cannot find a Hoss at your price point or build your own bike based on an On-One steel frame and forks and a decent set of wheels from say Merlin or CRC then finish it off with cheaper parts from either shimano or sram and cheap end disc brake sets. I recon if you shop around you could manage it on 500.
Other suggestions are Orange Crush, Kona Blast, or as you have seen a Rockhopper.
I have also owned a merlin malt 1 from Merlin cycles excellent value but a tad above your budget I think at the moment.
Good luck on your search agree.gif

+Quote Post
Jontyboy
post Mar 27 2012, 06:45 PM
Post #4

Thanks for the welcomes and advice guys!

I've been around all the local shops and sat/rode dozens of bikes but finally decided on what felt right to me (couldn't believe how just sitting on different bikes how different they all felt).

I've picked a 2011 chris boardman comp smile.gif

Bike shop let me ride it for half and hour and it felt great! Voodoo hoodoo was a
Close second

What do you think?? Have I made a good choice?? Either way I'm or the moon with it and can't wait to ride every day since haha

+Quote Post
Old bert would
post Mar 28 2012, 11:44 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(Jontyboy @ Mar 27 2012, 07:45 PM) *
Thanks for the welcomes and advice guys!

I've been around all the local shops and sat/rode dozens of bikes but finally decided on what felt right to me (couldn't believe how just sitting on different bikes how different they all felt).

I've picked a 2011 chris boardman comp smile.gif

Bike shop let me ride it for half and hour and it felt great! Voodoo hoodoo was a
Close second

What do you think?? Have I made a good choice?? Either way I'm or the moon with it and can't wait to ride every day since haha

I've never ridden a Boardman but most of the reviews in mags etc have been good or better.

Welcome by the way!

Rob

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 07:46 AM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News