IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fox fork conversion help please, Can I swap parts to make my 2011 f120 to 140 swapping 2010 talas 140
2012 Camber Pro
post Mar 22 2012, 11:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

Hi there can anyone help?
Can I swap parts to make my 2011 fox 32 f120 forks to 140mm
By swapping parts with fox 2010 fox 32 talas 140
To build Into f140mm ?
Will it work or what do I need to check to find out?

Would be grate full for any help
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bazza
post Mar 23 2012, 12:47 AM
Post #2

It's very likely that your Fox 120mm forx use a spacer to reduce the travel down from 140mm to 120mm. I know this is true of my Fox Float's that came fitted on my Stumpy FSR.

Suggest you find the rebuild manual for your year/model, and check it out.
If this is the case, then (as long as you are comfortable doing a fork strip down/rebuild) it's a 30min job and will only cost the price of oil/washers/seals (as applicable).

Whether your frame/setup can safely handle 20mm more travel (without risking warranty) is another matter!!

--------------------
NB: It's unlikely I'll see your reply. So, please PM me if you need a response.

+Quote Post
2012 Camber Pro
post Mar 23 2012, 10:52 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(bazza @ Mar 23 2012, 12:47 AM) *
It's very likely that your Fox 120mm forx use a spacer to reduce the travel down from 140mm to 120mm. I know this is true of my Fox Float's that came fitted on my Stumpy FSR.

Suggest you find the rebuild manual for your year/model, and check it out.
If this is the case, then (as long as you are comfortable doing a fork strip down/rebuild) it's a 30min job and will only cost the price of oil/washers/seals (as applicable).

Whether your frame/setup can safely handle 20mm more travel (without risking warranty) is another matter!!

It was the guys in my local bike shop who suggested the conversion. An said id have to see if the parts fitted. I'm sure they would have known if It was just a case of removing a travel spacer.

Is there anyone who knows for sure before I open the forks? Would be most great full if anyone could save me having to phone fox in USA.

+Quote Post
Jamie
post Mar 24 2012, 11:06 AM
Post #4

http://www.mojo.co.uk

--------------------
Free cashback at CRC, Wiggle & Evans

Just straight hucking mincing!

+Quote Post
bazza
post Mar 24 2012, 11:23 PM
Post #5

Ok, to further qualify my guess, I've popped along to http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/ and found the following advice on changing the travel on F-Series forx:-

CAUTION: FOX FLOAT and F-Series forks have damper cartridges with specific travel length capacity (80 mm, 100 mm, 120 mm, 140 mm, and 150 mm). Inappropriately changing your fork to a longer travel length may irreparably damage or destroy its damper cartridge. Contact 1-800-FOX-SHOX or an authorized service center for verification. Be prepared to supply the product serial number that is located on the underside of the fork crown.

So, out goes my theory.
It would seem that it's easy to reduce the travel (by adding the spacers). But, if you want to go above 120mm, you need to entirely swap the damping cartridge.

As to whether the internals of the 2010 Talas 140 will fit into your 2011 F120's, I can't possibly say.

--------------------
NB: It's unlikely I'll see your reply. So, please PM me if you need a response.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 03:48 AM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News