IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any tips on how to stop my rims filling with water
Suggsey
post Mar 25 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Moderators

Right those of you that are running ghetto tubeless and who have had to drill out your rims to fit rim strips, how do you stop the rim from filling with water? Thought it was that I had a gallon of sealant in there but after ripping the side wall up on cutgate and having to put a tube in to complete the ride its not sealant. No point saving weight etc etc if I am carrying a kilo if weight in the rims.
And not riding in the wet just aint an option in the UK is it naughty.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doug
post Mar 25 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #2

Group: Administrators

Never had that problem. I suspect its getting in through the valve hole or the spoke holes.

You could try silicon sealant on them all but I'd probably go with a small 2-3mm hole in the rim opposite the valve hole to let it drain out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
martyn748
post Mar 26 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #3

Group: Members

Yes lots of holes for plenty of water to get in to.
As said unless you put sealant round every spoke hole it will get in. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Gareth
post Mar 26 2012, 09:02 PM
Post #4

Group: Root Admin

I'm not sure a lot of water gets in through spoke holes unless you ride with your rims under water all the time. I do think most of it gets in at the valve hole so try making a rubber 'gasket' to go over your valve stem, under the valve nut. Get some silicon from Poundstore and use a leather punch to make a hole (largest hole on the punch is perfect) then draw around a valve nut over the hole and trim with sharp scissors. I have never tried this but it works to stop sealant getting out with a taped rim or Stan's. Poundstore sell numerous silicon items but I especially like the pan stand for this purpose. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Get proper instruction www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk

+Quote Post
Suggsey
post Mar 27 2012, 07:02 PM
Post #5

Cheers for the suggestions fellas. I will see what emerges when I take off tyres and tape etc then decide where to go from there.

+Quote Post
Mick
post Mar 27 2012, 07:05 PM
Post #6

Group: Members

QUOTE(Suggsey @ Mar 27 2012, 08:02 PM) *
Cheers for the suggestions fellas. I will see what emerges when I take off tyres and tape etc then decide where to go from there.

Have you thought of buying a boat? innocent.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Suggsey
post Mar 27 2012, 07:12 PM
Post #7

To be fair it was quite wet in places on Cutgate so it may be quagmire mud as opposed to water that I can hear sloshing.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2014 - 05:59 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News