Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Off-road Surrey cycle route, Leith Hill to Holmbury Hill, Off-road
Stretch
post May 3 2012, 09:39 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

Hi all

I want to head down to Peaslake for a bit of Barry Knows Best, Telegraph Poles and Yoghurt Pots (and any other awesome routes you can tell me about) and will take a train from Clapham Junction to Dorking. Is there an easily identifiable route from Leith Hill to Holmsbury Hill and how do I go about locating it?

Thanks in advance
Stretch
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
torihada
post May 4 2012, 03:06 PM
Post #2

QUOTE(Stretch @ May 3 2012, 10:39 AM) *
Hi all

I want to head down to Peaslake for a bit of Barry Knows Best, Telegraph Poles and Yoghurt Pots (and any other awesome routes you can tell me about) and will take a train from Clapham Junction to Dorking. Is there an easily identifiable route from Leith Hill to Holmsbury Hill and how do I go about locating it?

Thanks in advance
Stretch

its all a bit secret squirrel. Unless you know the area, joining up the marked trails are difficult. Unless you get someone to give you a gpx file and use a GPS device no amount of directions on here will help you. Contact Simon at Nirvana Cycles and join one of his rides or join one of the rides on the forum here.

--------------------
There do appear to be some hills south of the Trent...
http://www.youtube.com/butahada

+Quote Post
Jambalaya
post May 4 2012, 06:25 PM
Post #3

Yes very easy just look at a map !

Lots of different ways depending on how much on road and whether you want to get straight there or do a few trails ...

May I suggest you ride out to Westcott then take bridleway / track behind Nirvana Cycles to wolverns lane climb (you can ride summer lightening which will be dry) to Leith Hill Tower (tea & cake?) then take bridleway due west or slightly north west via high ashes farms and Greenlands way. Both will bring you to village of Holmbury, lots of different ways up either on or offload.

Leith Hill trails will be a bit boggy but Greenlands Way dries well as does part of Holmbury with telegragh rd and BKB, yogurt pots is pretty wet as you'd expect after all this rain. You can do Telegrapgh Rd on way home. Ask some other riders up on Holmbury for directions to other trails or just explore/follow people. Always people taking a breather at top of Holmbury.

If you want more info drop me a PM with your email address (probably too late for me to send you a map if yoire riding Saturday) or stop in at Nirvana.

+Quote Post
deadkenny
post May 6 2012, 06:34 PM
Post #4

Legit is a bridleway route from High Ashes end of Leith down to Holmbury. It's actually quite fun blasting down there, but watch out for people riding the other way, walkers and potentially horses!

There are cheeky ways which are better, but they're cheeky wink.gif

Trails round Pitch, Winterfold, Holmbury, Leith - tonnes of them. Really just much easier to just go on a ride with others. Many are getting marked on Strava now though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
marcliam
post May 8 2012, 06:50 PM
Post #5

Hey Stretch, think we met up with you on Holmbury Hill a good while back (back in the days when I could get out riding!)

Agree with Jambalaya and Deadkenny.

Biggest problem is trying to string a loop together in the Surrey Hills, mind you it gets so busy these days if you don't fancy going on an organised group ride just follow some other bikers!

--------------------
WD40 is for spraying onto things that you think you should be performing some kind of maintenance on but have no clue where to start or what to do.

+Quote Post
deadkenny
post May 9 2012, 08:00 AM
Post #6

Other route options from Dorking -

There's a bridleway(?) that goes along the top of Denbies and through Ranmore Common and some way along you can hit the cycle route (think it's a national cycle route) drop down to Abinger Hammer, across the A25 and it heads off towards Peaslake. Fun of that route is there's some gnar to be had on Ranmore. Really need someone to show you that stuff though. Also, in the wet - don't bother. Wet clay!

Train to Gomshall. Closer to Peaslake wink.gif

FYI - Pitch Hill is largely demolished at the moment by logging operations. Some trails wrecked. Fireroads are near impassible, just huge muddy swamps especially the main climb from Walking Bottom car park.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jambalaya
post May 9 2012, 01:18 PM
Post #7

Here is a route below which shows the two ways between Leith and Holmbury which we've been mentioning. It's an all official route so doesn't show the singletrack ! Note the climb which DK points out is trashed on Pitch is part of this route.

SH Route

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 12:28 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News