IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 7stanes, Mabie, Kirroughtree and Dalbeattie.
Bernard
post Sep 8 2007, 08:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

Headed up to the western 7stanes for 3 days of trail frolics. Attendees Suggsey, Bernard and Mitch.
Day 1. 5th Sept.
Left the midlands just after 5 and headed up the M6. We made good time and arrived at Mabie just after 9.
So with empty stomachs we left the bikes on the roof and went straight to the cafe. Closed!
So as we were staying in New Abbey 3 miles down the road, we headed straight there in search of food.
We had already arranged to drop our kit off there, to save leaving it in the car.
A bit of sweet talking and the girls at the Criffel Inn made us a full breakfast, even though they had stopped serving.
Feeling better we returned to Mabie, kitted up and tackled the Phoenix trail.
A cracking red trail with good flowing singletrack. It seems that there was a lot more downs than ups too.
Particular favourite section was the descender bender and the roller coaster sections.
A tiring, but cracking day. Good job the cafe/shop was open when we finished, as a wel earned brew was on the cards.
Back too the digs for showers and then the search for more food. The chef at the digs as ill so we head off into Dalbeattie. We drove in and drove out. Eventually finding sustenance in Dumfries.

Day 2. 6th Sept.
After breakfast and a good nights kip. Kirroughtree was the venue today.
Then red twister trail was the primary target today. Whether the Black Criags was to be tackled was a decision to be made later.
We ended up doing the red trail and the black sections of Rivendell, Hansel and Gretel and Hissing Sid. We then drove up to McMoab section and played around on the rocks for a while.
Not as flowing as Mabie, with what seemed to be a lot more climbing. It seemed to be a lot more stop/start, but that was probably down to the drop offs on both the red and black sections.
Fave sections Rivendell and the later parts of the Twister.
Personally I didn't have the best day. I couldn't seem to stay on the trail and kept veering off towards the edge of the track, and struggled to get my balance when starting off from stationary.
But another great trail none the less.
Another pint of tea and back to the digs.
Luckily the chef was back and a cracking meal was laid on.

Day 3. 7th Sept.
Kit packed, breakfast eaten and off to Dalbeattie.
The Hardrock trail was tackled.
From the start this trail seemed to flow better than both the others, particularly the Barnbarroch loop, which had a sting in the tail in the form of a very loose steep descent at the end.
The majority of the climbs here are on fireroad, but the flowing trails that lead of it make up for that.
I was looking forward to the Slab with mixed feelings, and once at the top all three of us said in unison 'SOD THAT'. Still I ended up doing 3/4s of it with my back wheel locked and the colourful language helped.
After my adrenaline had subsided we continued. Suggsey had broken some spokes at this stage on his back wheel and headed back on the blue. Mitch and myself completed the red.
I felt better than I had on the other two days and gunned it around the second half.
Favourite sections Barnborroch loop and all of the second half of the trail.
Same that Volunteer ridge was closed.

None of us could agree on our favourite trail out of the three, but did agree that they were some of the best trails that we have ridden and would be returning to try out what the rest of the 7stanes has to offer.
No major offs, no injuries and no mechanials.
My opinion out of 5.
Mabie 4
Kirroughtree 3
Dalbeattie 5

Big thanks to Suggsey who drove there and back and to the Criffel Inn, New Abbey and its staff.
They made us very welcome, and along with its good food, drink and comfy beds it will get my recommendation any day.
Photos will be on my gallery soon, once all the photos from the 3 cameras hae been collected.
Matt agree.gif

--------------------
Self control has just expired..............................

www.godivatrailriders.org
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bodge
post Sep 8 2007, 03:25 PM
Post #2

We had a few days up there at the beginning of the week. Your comments on finding food made me laugh. We drove for miles trying to find somewhere that sells proper food - and we ended up at the Criffel Inn!!!!!!

Getting food around that area is easy if you like crap, but decent grub seems hard to come by.

We had a play at Ae - absolutely no facilities bar a chemical bog - not even a tap for filling bladders - (the youngsters did the DH course - photos soon), and Glentress. Ended up at Glentress for 2 days, there were 4 of us with 4 different riding styles/abilities/experience, and there was something at GT (with Inners close by) for all of us, including good facilities. We'll be going straight there next time. And my missis hates riding uphill but loved the ups on the red, not to mention the downs.

--------------------
It's downhill all the way.....

+Quote Post
Bernard
post Sep 9 2007, 10:11 AM
Post #3

We had to go into Dumfries to get food. That town has the strangest parking system known to man. Eventually we found a normal car park and found that Dumfries has '3' Gregs bakers in 200yds. We had to refuel in Wetherspoons, as it was the only place we found that looked friendly.
We planned to go to Ae but heard that it had some closed sections, so we did Kirroughtree instead.
Glentress and Innerliethen are penciled in for next time.
Dalbeattie has no visitor centre either, other than a hose to clean your bike. Luckily the weather held for the 3 days. Kirroughtree and Mabie have cafes and bike shops, but 9.99 for a mug!!!!!!!!! come on sneaky.gif
Attached a photo for starters. Did he managed to avoid a face plant though??

--------------------

+Quote Post
ma9mwah
post Sep 9 2007, 11:04 AM
Post #4

oh, that looks nasty. hope hes ok

+Quote Post
SammyC
post Sep 9 2007, 01:31 PM
Post #5

I'm gonna say no, he's simply not cleared the bars, 7/10 for style though! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bernard
post Sep 9 2007, 03:24 PM
Post #6

Correct Sammy. He managed to stop himself from going over the bars fortnately, but could have been really nasty.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SammyC
post Sep 9 2007, 04:17 PM
Post #7

Well done on you for catching it though. What's the point of crashing if no-one catches it on camera. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Suggsey
post Sep 10 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #8

Group: Moderators

I feel that I must also add my thanks to Bernard and Mitch aka 'Little frigging Adonis' for a cracking three days riding and good company despite sitting in the bar on Thursday night 'monged' from the days exertions! It was great to ride through forest with Red Squirrels throwing nuts down at you and red deer running down the singletrack in front of you (just disapointed that it didnt show its face again after I dismounted with the camera). smile.gif
I want to see a picture of someone actually descending The Eliminator at Kirroughtree though (thats the one where there was a resounding 'no *ucking way!' from all). worship.gif
My words of advice are for the relative 'unfit' or those on heavy 'freeride' type rigs of any group going up there is there is some climbing particulalry it felt like at Kirroughtree. Next is take as much water as you can carry (in my case 4 litres went in and came straight out of my head), some food and take a break and a deep breath. Second from last, is if you see someone with a camera just round a bend it means there is a descent that may unseat you! dizzy.gif
Last and by no means least is do not drink eight pints and a double brandy beer.gif (got full after dinner so had to resort to a short) the night before riding Kirroughtree, as Bernard will admit it may have hampered our overall atheletic performance but made us much more sociable and made for a good nights sleep and a big hunger in the morning for the full english.
Only actually one mechanical of expense and that was the undertray off my Passat being left on some rough surface!!!!! I have yet another rear wheel being rebuilt (with lighter double butted spokes so I go faster whistling.gif )and Mitch will be in need of a straight brake disc.
Not retiring to Cornwall now, Hello bonny Scotland!

+Quote Post
c55
post Aug 3 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #9

Just got back from a weeks riding some of the 7stanes with mates.What can i say.Loads of great riding and some great" black options"(Kirroughtree/Dalbeattie/Innerleithen) I thought Ae was a trail to nowhere(no technical features along the route to keep your heart rate up)and mc moab(Kirroughtree) was a bit of a let down.We thought it was going to be like the slab at dalbeattie.Bit windy up there too.Definatley going back for more.Do you think you've somehow been cheated by what welsh trail centres are turning into?,by closing technical parts of the trail due to erosion,and building long easy motorway sections,instead of doing what they do in scotland by making the run in/drop in to a black section so technical that only more established riders do it.thus cutting down on overall erosion issues.Your thoughts on this would be appreciated as i think wales is far more easy to reach for the mtb masses than scotland.

+Quote Post
Doug
post Aug 3 2009, 01:57 PM
Post #10

Group: Administrators

QUOTE(c55 @ Aug 3 2009, 01:25 PM) *
.Do you think you've somehow been cheated by what welsh trail centres are turning into?,by closing technical parts of the trail due to erosion,and building long easy motorway sections,instead of doing what they do in scotland by making the run in/drop in to a black section so technical that only more established riders do it.thus cutting down on overall erosion issues.Your thoughts on this would be appreciated as i think wales is far more easy to reach for the mtb masses than scotland.

One of the main reasons more and more riders are riding 'alternative' routes at the Welsh trail centres.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mad Pierre
post Aug 3 2009, 03:02 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Suggsey @ Sep 10 2007, 10:52 PM) *
Last and by no means least is do not drink eight pints and a double brandy beer.gif

No stick to the beer and have 10 or 12 pints!

You should have done the full black at Kirroughtree as you've missed some of the best trails. You might have ranked it higher then? It's still the best in my opinion - sure you've got to pedal plenty but its just miles of quality singletrack and McMoab is a great challenge - and cleanable!

QUOTE(Suggsey @ Sep 10 2007, 10:52 PM) *
I want to see a picture of someone actually descending The Eliminator at Kirroughtree though (thats the one where there was a resounding 'no *ucking way!' from all). worship.gif

What do they call The Eliminator? Is it the steep roll at the end of McMoab? If so: here's one: http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/forum/index.ph...si&img=2436

I've another somewhere looking down from the top.... It's actually pretty easy.

--------------------
Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

My corner of the interweb: www.mountainbikerides.co.uk

+Quote Post
c55
post Aug 3 2009, 04:33 PM
Post #12

Doh! banghead.gif Missed that one as we turned sharp left and down nearer to the bridge.Cleared 1/2 the slab and managed "terrible twins" though(Dalbeattie) and this photo doesnt look much steeper.Have to agree with Pierre on this though....Kirroughtree has the most single track when you do all the black route.loads of little technical features to keep you on your toes.Great flow too agree.gif

+Quote Post
Mad Pierre
post Aug 4 2009, 07:19 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(c55 @ Aug 3 2009, 05:33 PM) *
Doh! banghead.gif Missed that one as we turned sharp left and down nearer to the bridge.Cleared 1/2 the slab and managed "terrible twins" though(Dalbeattie) and this photo doesnt look much steeper.

I'd say the slab although not as steep is harder as you have to control your speed and avoid locking your wheels. You can pretty much let that one go after you are on it.

Here's a shot looking straight down (and it actually looks steep!):

There's also my helmet cam of it here: http://www.mountainbikerides.co.uk/video/scotland.htm along with the Dalbeattie features for comparison and lots of other 7 Stanes stuff...

--------------------
Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

My corner of the interweb: www.mountainbikerides.co.uk

+Quote Post
c55
post Aug 4 2009, 09:10 PM
Post #14

Good photos/vids agree.gif Hope to be uploading some in the next few weeks,when i can get hold of 'em.

+Quote Post
Suggsey
post Aug 17 2009, 06:58 PM
Post #15

No, thats not the one. The drop I am on about has a sharp turn in on it from the trail and drops like a death slide on foot sized chunks of rock which are not fully bedded in so there is a bit of movement on them. At the bottom of the drop is a very tight (considering the drop) left hander with a patch of shale about 3 foot wide on the apex (read exit point down the mountainside) before the hill falls away further into dense trees. There was a chicken run that was still very tasty to the left. Someone must have a photo of it. It may even be the drop in that Nick, The Saint did his OTB landing on his head.

+Quote Post
bodger_the_biker
post Aug 18 2009, 02:03 AM
Post #16

Suggesy are you thinking of the qualifer at dalbeattie as thats where nick went over the bars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p4NMyNDm0M...feature=related

+Quote Post
Lee-Ann
post Mar 14 2010, 12:48 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(bodge @ Sep 8 2007, 05:25 PM) *
We had a few days up there at the beginning of the week. Your comments on finding food made me laugh. We drove for miles trying to find somewhere that sells proper food - and we ended up at the Criffel Inn!!!!!!

Getting food around that area is easy if you like crap, but decent grub seems hard to come by.

We had a play at Ae - absolutely no facilities bar a chemical bog - not even a tap for filling bladders - (the youngsters did the DH course - photos soon), and Glentress. Ended up at Glentress for 2 days, there were 4 of us with 4 different riding styles/abilities/experience, and there was something at GT (with Inners close by) for all of us, including good facilities. We'll be going straight there next time. And my missis hates riding uphill but loved the ups on the red, not to mention the downs.

Sorry still finding my way around. How do I look at attached photos please?

+Quote Post
Bernard
post Mar 14 2010, 05:17 PM
Post #18

There are no pictures attached to the post, but there are some in my profile. They may be down the list though they were taken it 2007.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Suggsey
post Mar 28 2010, 06:03 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(bodger_the_biker @ Aug 18 2009, 03:03 AM) *
Suggesy are you thinking of the qualifer at dalbeattie as thats where nick went over the bars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p4NMyNDm0M...feature=related

It looks similar but from the top it looked a whole lot steeper and deeper, to be honest now I would give it a go but still with some pads on as I am an old man now icon_redface.gif

+Quote Post
Mick
post Mar 28 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Suggsey @ Mar 28 2010, 07:03 PM) *
I am an old man now icon_redface.gif

Old? you've not posted on here for so long i thought you was a goner innocent.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 07:56 AM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News