IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any Decent Trails Near Manchester
Manda
post Oct 10 2007, 02:18 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

hi, i'm considering moving to manchester but there seems to be a lack of trails actually close to the centre of town. my bloke does dh/hard core xc and will complain if there's nothing easily accessible as we dont drive!
someone has mentioned the tras pennine trail near chorlton, does anyone know if this is any good? we live in bristol right now and leigh woods is on the doorstep, so he's hesitant to leave!
any help greatly appreciated,
cheers,
manda

--------------------
------------------------------------------
...a bit of muck never hurt anyone...
------------------------------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
1gearnoidea
post Oct 10 2007, 02:28 PM
Post #2

hi im a ranger on the trans pennine trail...and can confirm..its very very flat, the odd climb but , afterall it is the old railway line thats been used...trains dont do hills...saying that your only 30 mins from the fabulous peaks( my local playground)...and there u have every kind of trail immaginable rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"boingy's....gears?? whats all that abart"

+Quote Post
joiner
post Oct 10 2007, 02:34 PM
Post #3

And the train service would take you right to the heart of the peaks too ............... rolleyes.gif

Glynn

--------------------

------------------------------------
try it...ya just might like it.......

glynn walker-obrien
------------------------------------

+Quote Post
lawmanmx
post Oct 10 2007, 02:38 PM
Post #4

Horwich is just a short train ride from Manc and 10 mins from the station is Rivington agree.gif

and 15 mins towards wigan and yer into Haigh hall country park .... loads of trails in there to amuse you and Mr harcore wink.gif

--------------------
who the F*** let me in here???

+Quote Post
claire
post Oct 10 2007, 03:20 PM
Post #5

Does anyone have any more info on Rivington... got up there this Sunday but felt like I was missing something...?
Had a nice little potter about but saw two blokes with full face on while we were heading back to the car.. they def didn't need that for where we were riding so I'm thinking there's better stuff than we found doh.gif

+Quote Post
Nigel
post Oct 10 2007, 04:41 PM
Post #6

Send a PM to 'littlegirlbunny', she has ridden up there and will be more than happy to advise I expect.

I am in Manchester and the peaks are only 40mins drive and full of natural goodness...erm rides...erm mountains rolleyes.gif

We are always out and about virtually every weekend so keep your eyes out, there's always a spare roof rack/boot.

--------------------
Not Green anymore...

+Quote Post
littlegirlbunny
post Oct 10 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #7

Group: Administrators

QUOTE(claire @ Oct 10 2007, 04:20 PM) *
Does anyone have any more info on Rivington... got up there this Sunday but felt like I was missing something...?
Had a nice little potter about but saw two blokes with full face on while we were heading back to the car.. they def didn't need that for where we were riding so I'm thinking there's better stuff than we found doh.gif

You wern't on a black and pink specialized full sus were you? smile.gif

I ride up at Rivington regularly - it isn't amazingly technical, but there are some pretty fun bits and a rather nice piece of single track towards the south-east. There certainly isn't enough to fill a day, but you can get a good hour or two (or more if you ride some bits twice/in reverse) It is a real case of using it as a playground and finding bits to ride, rather than expecting them to turn up. Definately the best riding is up towards the Pike (the big square castle type thing on the hill) rather than round the rather dull trails by the lake.

Where did you go on Sunday?

Agree with Nigel here - keep your eye on the rides section coz there is usually something going on near manc in the weekend smile.gif

+Quote Post
lawmanmx
post Oct 10 2007, 08:20 PM
Post #8

do you manage to get up to the top of winter hill then Bunny??? ... there's some better tracks up and around there Missus ya know wink.gif

try Haigh hall at wigan if you get the chance too .... there's loads to go at in there agree.gif

--------------------
who the F*** let me in here???

+Quote Post
claire
post Oct 11 2007, 08:17 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(littlegirlbunny @ Oct 10 2007, 08:27 PM) *
You wern't on a black and pink specialized full sus were you? smile.gif

No... that would be nice! Grey rockhopper...

QUOTE(littlegirlbunny @ Oct 10 2007, 08:27 PM) *
Where did you go on Sunday?

Round the rather boring bits by the lake angry.gif and a bit further up... through some fields and over some stiles where I don't think you're meant to take bikes... whistling.gif
Will give it a go again then up by the castle thing..! Thanks!!

+Quote Post
littlegirlbunny
post Oct 11 2007, 01:09 PM
Post #10

Group: Administrators

QUOTE(lawmanmx @ Oct 10 2007, 09:20 PM) *
do you manage to get up to the top of winter hill then Bunny??? ... there's some better tracks up and around there Missus ya know wink.gif
try Haigh hall at wigan if you get the chance too .... there's loads to go at in there agree.gif

I always thought it was only footpaths to Winter Hill (thats the one with the aerials on isn't it??), so you are either braver than me and riding not-completely-legit trails or you know something I don't (but would love to know more please wink.gif )

Will definately look into Haigh Hall though smile.gif

QUOTE(claire @ Oct 11 2007, 09:17 AM) *
No... that would be nice! Grey rockhopper...
Round the rather boring bits by the lake angry.gif and a bit further up... through some fields and over some stiles where I don't think you're meant to take bikes... whistling.gif
Will give it a go again then up by the castle thing..! Thanks!!

Yeah, have a ride up to the Pike - there is some fun riding that way. If you fancy meeting up for a ride at any point let me know and i'll give you a brief tour!

+Quote Post
crazy-legs
post Oct 20 2007, 05:39 PM
Post #11

[quote name='littlegirlbunny' date='Oct 11 2007, 01:09 PM' post='81577']
I always thought it was only footpaths to Winter Hill (thats the one with the aerials on isn't it??), so you are either braver than me and riding not-completely-legit trails or you know something I don't (but would love to know more please wink.gif )

There are a couple of legal bits up Winter Hill, the rest of it might be slightly cheeky but I've never met anyone who seemed to mind. Try the gardens for lots of step fun, there's plenty of enjoyable riding round there.

Access from Manchester out to the Peaks is very easy either by car or train, there's all sorts of great riding out round there. It's also quite quick out to North Wales or to the Lakes by car.

+Quote Post
Chef Shoes
post May 16 2008, 01:35 PM
Post #12

you can kind of ride up to the aerials from rivvie but you have to follow a route towards horwich then turn up towards it, but since the road leading up to it is an access road i guess its not much use for a mtb.. not been that far across yet but i might venture tomorrow.

went up last weekend and it was great, all except the lack of wind and high humidity.. it was killin me!

even by the tower there was no breeze.

handy living so close i guess wink.gif

adlington train station is a lot closer to rivvie than horwich parkway (near bolton stadium),

but chorley is a main stop on that line and its about 20mins ride from rivington barn (on a good day)

--------------------

+Quote Post
spam
post Sep 4 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #13

Saddleworths the place to go in manchester theres the buckstones quarry near oldham and if you go in the local bike shop the cyclery they give you loades of places to ride for free biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
pickwick
post Feb 18 2011, 09:07 PM
Post #14

none of you have mentioned healey nab 10 mins from rivi barn and technical enough for any downhiller http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sour...mp;t=h&z=19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFfkKb-2jkY&feature=fvst

haigh hall good but can be dodgy at times gets busy on nice days up there a lot, early morning weekend or after work would be best. just keep an eye out for rocks branches etc on paths even fishing line
http://www.wigantoday.net/news/bike_wire_c...victim_1_201396

+Quote Post
DaGuv
post Feb 19 2011, 12:18 AM
Post #15

Truely awesome descent off the back of Winterhill - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeamDfgQVUQ&hd=1

MMMmmm memories... Must get myself back up there soon!!!

+Quote Post
Badllama
post Mar 26 2012, 06:17 PM
Post #16

Hi all I'm based in Swinton would love to know more about the rides around Rivington as it's pretty local and saves on burning fuel going up the the lakes etc..

Just got into biking been "borrowing" my brothers bike for ages and decided to finally get myself one as it also saves on fuel too and from work biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
kieferdeanB
post Apr 21 2012, 04:16 PM
Post #17

im in the same perdicument i live in bury greater manchester and will only be able to travel by bke and i dont wanna be knackered before even getting to the trail all be it i am a novice so simple yet fun trail recomendations wpuld be greatly appreciated

+Quote Post
se7en983
post Apr 28 2013, 05:57 PM
Post #18

For those of you in and around Manchester the Clayton Vale MTB trails are open for business !! (well most of them are anyway)
I think they officially open on the may bank holiday but many are using them now me included;)

they're pretty good and there's plenty of trails to choose from ranging in difficulty even a skills track over the road.

I think the trail network covers about 6-7 miles in total.

here's some links with photos etc...

http://claytonvaletrails.org/

http://www.nationalcyclingcentre.com/p/mtb-trails-2

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 05:06 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News