IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is it too much to do for an unfit Newbie?
Chupachup
post Mar 15 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members

Hi,

I am new to this site as I am just putting the feelers out to see if anyone thinks that I am crazy or has any decent advice on how I can reach my goal.

I am thinking about taking on the Manchester to Blackpool ride in July, but I am very unfit but determined! LOL!

I currently weigh 20stone and have lost 2 stone in the last 2 months from cutting my calories back to 2000 calories (with lots of fresh fruit, veg and meat, no processed food etc) and going to the gym 3 to 4 times a week. Over this time I have increased my fitness and increased my times at the gym quite a lot, an example of which would be, a 10k cycle distance at level 9 would take me 30mins and got my heart up to 140 with an rpm of 70, now I take 17mins for 10k at 90 to 100 rpm with my heart rate around 125. So I know my fitness level has increased as I now need to work at a harder level to get my heart rate up.

I think that if I increase my gym visits to 5 times a week and keep up with my slimming plan I should be able to lose another 3 stone minimum before the ride.

Has anyone any advice on training or if you think this is an achievable goal? I donít want to make a fool of myself by only managing a few miles when I get to it! LOL! Or does anyone know any shorter rides in the Manchester area I can try this year and have the Manchester Blackpool as a goal for next year? (Is this a better idea?).

Oh, and I donít have a bike either so am looking for a decent second-hand one, always fancied a Cannondale, but they are rather pricey! LOL!

Sorry if this seems a stupid post to all you regular and pro riders, I just need some decent and constructive advice from people who know more about this than me.

Cheers,

Andy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Speedy Al
post Mar 15 2008, 12:39 AM
Post #2

Andy

best of luck on your ride, i am sure somebody here will has some pointers for you, stick with your goals and remember oaktrees came from little acorns.

little steps before you start striding, give yourself time and everything is possible.

--------------------
A friend of mine has opened a bike shop in Belper, Derbyshire
linky to Buzz cycles

+Quote Post
mannlamb
post Mar 15 2008, 10:19 AM
Post #3

Yes Andy, i echo what Al says - best of luck. (Think of Adrian Childs and Alan Shearer for inspirtation!)
Regarding your training, the only advice i could give you is .... you're only fit at what you train at. (If you've got a marathon to run ... go running. If its a swimathon ... go swimming.... If its a cycle ride your attempting...... Get my drift!?)

Giles.

--------------------
Valentino Rossi e numero uno (e ora campione del mondo - Yee-Har)

+Quote Post
Mark
post Mar 15 2008, 11:36 AM
Post #4

Group: Moderators

Hi Andy, Im more than willing to help you through your training for this but I need to know a few things so I can point you in the right direction.

How tall are you?
What is your build?
How old are you?
Do you have your own heart rate monitor?
How far is it?
How fast do you plan to do the ride?
Is the route on or off road?
Do you have someone else to ride and train with?
What is your motivation to do this?

This could get quite detailed and you may not want all this in the public domain so feel free to pm me and we can get into the nitty gritty.

One last general point. You seem to be setting off well to achieve your goal but donít do too much too soon. It sounds like you are new to the gym and as such you need to take a measured approach to it. Training too hard and too often can cause problems. You need to build muscle structures slowly to support the efforts you are putting in. Worst case is you could harm the ability to get your goal by pushing yourself hard in the early stages.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Suggsey
post Mar 15 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #5

I did a charity ride with a mate who too had been on a diet and been in the gym and training here there and everywhere except on the road (or off road) on a bike. He thought he was fit enough and prepared enough and despite the advice to get some actual rididng miles in didnt do any until the day.
20 miles into the 56 miles later he was in bits and he said just how much harder than gym biking it was-added to the fact that he was not taking on board proper hydration/fuel/electrolytes. he had turned up with bottles of fizzy lucozade, no water or electrolytes. thankfully after being rehydrated and with some electrolyte replaceemnt drinks when he started to cramp up round the 40 mile mark he made it through.
There is no replacement for the real thing, but train for it on the road or off road (depending on your route being on or off road) and you will achieve it.
Diet wise dont go too hard at it or your immune system will catch you out and you will pick up bugs and illnesses left right and central. Best of luck though and I hope you get a real buzz when you have completed it.

+Quote Post
Jarl
post Mar 15 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #6

Rocky will come along soon and introduce you to base training, but in the meantime, have a look at this. PM me for details- it's a 12 week program, so if you do it after a month or so of base training, you should be able to complete it before the event.

--------------------
"Say something that you know they might attack you for"

+Quote Post
mannlamb
post Mar 15 2008, 01:30 PM
Post #7

In the meantime Chupachup, read the topic '..and i thought i was reasonably fit..' in this training thread. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Valentino Rossi e numero uno (e ora campione del mondo - Yee-Har)

+Quote Post
Old Ghosts
post Mar 19 2008, 06:44 PM
Post #8

well done with the efforts so far! and good luck with the goal, its a challenge and with the right attitude it sounds like you could do it!

best of british to you sir!! (I'm not really much more help than that!)

+Quote Post
Rockymtnway
post Mar 20 2008, 12:56 AM
Post #9

What Mark said and more of it. How many hours a week can you dedicate to training? What are you doing in the gym to prepare? How much actual saddle time are you getting?

--------------------
Train easy, race fast, live strong

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 03:09 PM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News