IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The best boot/glove/etc drier money can buy?, Drying without heat! 'Tis sorcery!!
bazza
post Jun 27 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #1

Group: Members

One of my rules in life is this: when there are two (or more) solutions available for a given problem, then the best one is the simplest one.

Dryzone Boot Dryer by Dampire - 19.95rrp

What is it?
Right, you know when you buy something electrical, and it comes with a packet of silica gel that is supposed to absorb any moisture? Well, this is two fecking great bean-bags that work on a similar process. Only, you can dry them out, and reuse them.

How it works.
You keep them in their plastic bag - as you don't want them sucking moisture out of the air - you put them into your wet shoes. In the morning, the shoes are bone dry!!

I really can't say more than that!!

I bought some before I went snowboarding in March, as a buddy had a set the year before. I was sick of pulling my snowboarding boots apart, leaving them on the heater, and still having them damp in the morning.

With the Dryzone Boot Dryer, technically, you don't even need to pull the inner out of the snowboard boot. You just place the bag into each boot, and cram it into the toes as best you can.
In the morning, you pull the bag out, and your shoes are dry. And the Dryer goes back into it's plastic bag.
The following evening, repeat.

If you feel the dryer is starting to lose efficiency you can microwave the Dryer(!), or just leave it on a warm radiator to dry out.

I've used it a few times now on regular trainers/shoes, and it's been faultless.
As it pulls moisture from what is around it, it's not just limited to shoes. You can basically wrap anything around them, and they will suck the moisture from them. Not had a chance to try this myself, but, the box proudly claims, "Ideal for boots, shoes, gloves and gear".

I'm mentioning it here, as Summer appears to be a bit of a washout, and some of us are thinking about Summer riding hols (Morzine/etc), where it's likely that you'll get wet and still want to ride the next day.

Sealskinz socks are very handy for those occasions when your boots are still wet from the day before. But, isn't it better if your shoes are dry in the first place!?!

The downside with this product is that they're hard to buy!
I told CRC about them, and said what a wonderful product they are, and how no MTB-specific retailers sell them. But, they weren't interested.

Ebay, scuba-diving, or military-style shops (or direct) are just about your best bet.

Alternatives
Last year for my best mates birthday I bought him an electric shoe-dryer. I found it on ebay, it cost next to nothing, but, a fair bit on p&p from Hong-Kong! I basically knew that I'd get good use out of it from our trips to S.Wales. And I did. Worked a treat, but there are obvious drawbacks:
1. You have to plug it in. That rules out camping (unless you have a hookup).
2. You have to make sure that the air-flow is right, or you get damp spots in the boot.
3. It can overheat.
4. It can dry leather shoes *too* much, and make them stiff/crack.

I'd favour the Dryzone over any electrical drier. As I state right at the top, the simpler solution is (generally speaking) always the better.

Score: 10 out of 10

Summary:
You won't use it day in, day out. But, when you do, you'll love it. Mine comes MTB'ing and snowboarding. Plus, I've used it a few times at home just to dry out normal shoes/trainers. It's a little heavier than you'd think, but, worth it's weight in gold. If you've ever got ready to go out riding, slipped your foot into your shoe and thought, "Ewwwwwwww!!!!". Then this is for you.

PS: Some of their other products are quite MTB-suitable. eg. the Dry Cash Pouches.

--------------------
NB: It's unlikely I'll see your reply. So, please PM me if you need a response.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jarl
post Jul 3 2008, 08:12 PM
Post #2

Might it be worth group emailing CRC to see if they'll carry them?

But yes, I'll be on the lookout for these. Will be very useful for kayaking holidays biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Say something that you know they might attack you for"

+Quote Post
Doug
post Jul 3 2008, 08:29 PM
Post #3

Group: Administrators

Asked for a pair from the SO for autumn. I'll be able to jetwash my mtb shoes after every muddy ride wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
littlegirlbunny
post Jul 3 2008, 08:30 PM
Post #4

Group: Administrators

genius biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
bobosola
post Jul 3 2008, 08:33 PM
Post #5

Group: Root Admin

Not saying these aren't good, but you can get most of the way there with newspaper for nothing. Stuff the boots tight - I mean really, really tight- with old freebie newspaper pages scrunched up into balls. Next morning, chuck out the damp paper and put on the dry or almost dry boots, trainers etc.

Next week - how to make a DIY microwave with an old shoe box and a lightning conductor.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crank
post Jul 3 2008, 08:50 PM
Post #6

shouldn't you all be emailing Wiggle instead of CRC..?

+Quote Post
bazza
post Jul 5 2008, 12:01 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(bobosola @ Jul 3 2008, 09:33 PM) *
Not saying these aren't good, but you can get most of the way there with newspaper for nothing. Stuff the boots tight - I mean really, really tight- with old freebie newspaper pages scrunched up into balls. Next morning, chuck out the damp paper and put on the dry or almost dry boots, trainers etc.

Next week - how to make a DIY microwave with an old shoe box and a lightning conductor.

Sorry chaps. Didn't see the replies. They don't show up on RSS. I've remembered to tick the email button now.

I hear what you are saying (re: newspaper). But, I bought these specifically for when on holiday (snowboarding/MTB'ing), and therefore I don't have easy access to newspaper/etc.

Though, I will say, there is no 'most of the way there' or 'almost dry' with the dryzones. They will be bone dry in the morning. No damp spots at all. No soggy paper to throw away. No worries about finding more paper for next time. No super-hot shoes from an electrical heater, that dries the leather out too much and makes it crack. Just take them out of their bag, stuff in shoes and reuse.

Also, I was trying to come at this issue from the 'green' angle. I'm not saying the dryzones are a green product. I have no info on how they are made, or what from. I'm not that interested. But, they don't require a supply of paper, and need no electricity - so there is no concern about them working in the country you are to visit.

Their site references Bear Grylls using their products on his Everest mission.

If it's good enough for Bear, it's good enough for me.
Besides, Bear wouldn't bother with the microwave. He'd just eat his kill live!

--------------------
NB: It's unlikely I'll see your reply. So, please PM me if you need a response.

+Quote Post
U31
post Jul 5 2008, 04:46 PM
Post #8

Go Outdoors stores stock these! I cant find them in the On line catalog though.
But i didnt look proper, mind...

--------------------

+Quote Post
dude1971
post Aug 12 2008, 05:36 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(U31 @ Jul 5 2008, 05:46 PM) *
Go Outdoors stores stock these! I cant find them in the On line catalog though.
But i didnt look proper, mind...

I found them on this site, Dry Zone Shoe Drier

16.00 including delivery, just ordered a pair.

+Quote Post
vyberman
post Sep 21 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #10

You can buy silica gel from some chemists. That and a pair of womens tights "may" work out cheaper. But still, for 16 its probably less bother than trawling round chemists to make your own.

--------------------
The dark is afraid of me!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 09:12 AM
Design by: IPB 2.3 Skins & Web Browsers News