Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone looking for a ride partner for there next trip??!!
MTB Britain > Mountain Biking > Ride Details
jaydeess
Hey all
well ive finally sorted my self out ---
Ive left Oz and have settled in London for the next 2 years, got myself a nice new 2006 model Giant xtc Hardtail. Im planning on hitting some trails over the coming sumer months/weekends. Can you guys recommend any trails that are excessable buy rail to make a day or weekend of it!

Im keen to hit some quality single track over here, anyone need a riding partner for there next trip or are you dreaming up some crazy touring idea?

Cheers

Justin
jdenaro@hotmail.com
tomowen
If you're ever up in the Lakes, just let me know, I can show you some fantastic trails! If I'm not around if you're up this way then I'll give you some good route ideas instead.
jaydeess
When you say the lakes do you mean the lakes district? i assume but sometimes that can lead to stupid assumptions. Man im up for it! from the photos and information ive seen it looks awsome.

Id be keen to head up that way around mid july, say 16th 17th and make a weekend of it.

cheers again

Justin....... smile.gif
jaydeess
If any one else is keen, ive decided to make a weekend of it July sat 16th and sun 17th, I'll be heading up to probley the Windermere area on the friday night of that weekend and have an early start on the saturday morning!
Gareth
We could do an MTBB ride that Sunday up there. The Lakes does mean the Lake District, usually North/West of Kendal for our rides. Don't know if our start time and ride distance would fit with your plan so let me know. We're usually talking 6-7 hours of hard slog starting from around 10:30AM ish. :?:
brf
good plan Batman!
jaydeess
Im all ears about that one, the more the merryer!!
brf
I'd be up for making a WE of it and meeting up on the Saturday. We just need Tom to plan two routes (neither ridiculously long as we want to manage both rather than collapse through exhaustion on Sunday) .

Thoughts Tom?
Gareth
DOH! I was hoping we could do the Helvellyn ride on the Sunday, which is a bit of a killer! Although Enduro events and races sound like too much hard work this ride is truly fantastic. :duel:
brf
we could do a short warm up on Saturday - take huge amounts of steroids and join you on Sunday, fresh as a daisy laugh.gif
Gareth
I'm with you on the steroids, what flavour would you like?

Seriously, The Helvellyn 'Novelty Walk' is a must do. You do get to ride the bike on the downhills... Actually it's more like novelty mountaineering!

All you Enduro racers take note, this ride is s proper challenge! Probably not as tough as the Dyfi Enduro though, more of grim determination than aerobic efficiency. :idea:
tomowen
I could show you something quite special around Skiddaw on Saturday, say just a half day ride, or similar, relaxed pace, then after having hit the tea shops, and after a nice sleep, Helvellyn could be done on the Sunday?
brf
sounds like a plan - although I'm more a gear shop man than tea shop person (I'll leave the tea shops for the blue rinse brigade).
Gareth
Good plan, as usual I can only do one day or the other. 8) So the big ride on Sunday would be brilliant. Of course if it is 32C I will personally be the first biker to die half way up Helvellyn. :pray:
jaydeess
Sounds good to me, a decent warm up saturday and the big one on sunday. oh yeah and could someone bring a tow rope for me for the sunday afternoon!! :roll:
Gareth
I'm thinking of taking a balloon. Surely something with hydrogen in it could help us up that insane mountain climb? laugh.gif

Let's make this definite, I'll post it on the rides events list.

Also Saturday the 2nd July Wharncliffe Woods for those who are not too afraid... :twisted:
RobH
Hmm, I'm quite tempted to join you guys on this... How do you think a moderately fit (doing the 3Peaks this w/e) but generally inexperienced (with regard to 'serious' mtb stuff) 20 year old would fare on this one?

Rob
jaydeess
Another question not an answer!

Would Keswick be the best spot to base myself for the weekend rides of Skiddaw and Helvellyn?
Gareth
Hmm, I'm quite tempted to join you guys on this... How do you think a moderately fit (doing the 3Peaks this w/e) but generally inexperienced (with regard to 'serious' mtb stuff) 20 year old would fare on this one?  

Oh yes, you'll be fine smile.gif It's more walking than riding anyway! Seriously, anyone with reasonable fitness and determination will make the ride. Whingers should stay away though as it hurts and I can't stand the complaining! :twisted: Riders who laugh when the ride is fairly tough will love it.

You have an official invite, sign up on the Events list. 8)
brf
QUOTE(jaydeess)

Would Keswick be the best spot to base myself for the weekend rides of  Skiddaw and Helvellyn?

Good for Skiddaw and not that far from Helvellyn.
tomowen
QUOTE(jaydeess)

Would Keswick be the best spot to base myself for the weekend rides of  Skiddaw and Helvellyn?

Anywhere nearby is OK if you'll have a car. Without a car, it just depends on which day you want to have to ride a bit on roads to get to the start of the ride. (Or, of course, who you can get a lift from!)

The Helvellyn ride traditionally would start a significant road-ride away from Keswick, in Glenridding/Patterdale.
jaydeess
I was thinking of basing myself in Keswick as it looks like the obvious place on the map, nearby to each ride. I'll be catching the train up on friday night so i want to get a hostel sorted for the weekend and work out transport. Im happy to do approx 5-10km road ride to get to the start point for the rides on each day but any more than that and it can take a good off road adventure into an all day buggery!! A lift would be fantastic if anyone was willing ? beers would be on me......

Whats a ball park figure for the distance from Keswick to the starting points of the saturday and sunday rides?

cheers
smile.gif :?:
Mattcyp
From Keswick to Glenriding (under Helvelyn) is a long way on roads, but there are two better options, stay at the Glenriding hostel, and have an early start, or you can cycle in from Keswick at a not-too-silly distance, and join the ridge from there. However, im not too sure on the distance or the routes, but am thinking of joining the ridge at Grizedale tarn, after acending from the Ambleside direction.

Me and Dave woud like to do the ride, provinding its ok with the numbers for the ride? but are having troubles. There aren't any trains on sunday morning, so it's going to have to be a lift of some kind. I wonder how much my parents like me.......

We sould be fine for trains in the evening. Annoying as we both want to do this route

Jaydee's, are you also getting the evening train home from windermere?
brf
Assuming my knee is OK by then - I will be able to give one bike + rider a lift / lifts around the Lakes.
Mattcyp
How is the knee ben?
The last i heard it was your ITB? How did the 24 hour race go with it?
Gareth
Me and Dave woud like to do the ride, provinding its ok with the numbers for the ride? but are having troubles. There aren't any trains on sunday morning, so it's going to have to be a lift of some kind. I wonder how much my parents like me.......  

Where are you coming from? I may be able to offer a lift from a junction of the M6 if you can get to there.

If everyone (and I mean everyone) was OK with it we could do the MTBB Helvelyn ride on the Saturday instead. Saturday usually looks good to me. :idea:
Paul
might be able to make it if its sat as dont fly till the sunday! will see what direction this thread takes before risking the wrath of fire of asking the SO can i go ride some killer DHs the day before the hols :twisted:
brf
I'm fine with Saturday as well.
jaydeess
Well my options are endless at the momment!

I have thought about taking the train right up to Penrith and than coach over to Keswick if thats the go, or Get to Windermere and train/coach/ride over to the various other spots for the weekend. Im not fussed what day we do which ride provided i get 2 good rides in for the weekend. Im so hanging for a solid off road ride as it feels like an eternity like 2 1/2 months since ive hit a trail. My only riding at the momment is the 14km round trip commute to work each day.

any advice would be greatfull!
cheers
Gareth
It's looking promising, what says Tom Owen? :?: :pray:
tomowen
Sorry to keep you all, been in the Pyrenees for a while, such is life smile.gif

Saturday should be fine, I'll post more tomorrow (i.e. times, etc) when I'm more awake...
RobH
Right,

Thanks for the offer all, but i dont think i'll be able to make this one (time issues) but will deffo keep my eyes open and plan to join you on a ride soon!

Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.